Contemplating the Distel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYSawBoss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Since I have started climbing trees the only friction hitch I have used for work is the taughtline on a split tail system. I have been reading about the Distel however. It is intriguing me quite a bit. From the looks of it I'd say that you tender your slack 1 handed due to the micro pulley. Can anybody really give a good overall benefit list to the Distel. I know a lot of you are going to reply with preference toward the Schwabisch and V.T which are also welcome. However I am leaning toward the Distel. I think I have almost all I'll need to put it together. I have Petzl William Ball lock, CMI micro pulley. I guees I only have to buy a tress cord with eyes at both ends. Well let me stop wondering and just put it to you guys with the experience.

Tony

I dunno, I tried the distel, found I don't like it at all, I can never seem to get it to tighten up and hold me, though it obviously does for others.
I found I prefer the Knut nowadays.
-Ralph

I still use a V.T. occassionally but I generally use a 4/1 Distel. When I swithched from a tautline I tried a Schwabisch. It was okay but tended to lock down. The Distel provides easy slacktending ,balanced construction (the two legs of the hitch straddle a micropulley on an HMS style 'biner nicely) and slightly greater security than a V.T.(since it is a true hitch and can still hold if one of the legs/tails is severed).:angel:

Hey Tony, It is good to see that you are interested in more advanced hitches than the Tautline.

I tried the Distel, VT and am now using the Knut hitch for both my lanyard and climbing line.

Since you are relatively new to climbing might I suggest that you stick to climbing with the Tautline on the job. Experiment with the advanced hitches on your own until you feel comfortable with the hitch that you pick!

The phrase "low and slow" says a lot!.

Yeah Rich....definately going to try it recreationally and then when I "feel it" I'll incorporate it into my daily grind. By the way...what is the knut?? Very interested.

Tony

Here ya go!!!

My experience with the Knut hitch has been that it is not length sensitive like the VT. It is easy to tie and releases as good as the VT. Be sure to use the proper cordage.

I think it was Rocky that started the use of New England Sta-Set in 8mm. That is what I have been using. It wears well and is quite reasonable in price. The place to buy it is at Sail-Net.

Sail-Net for Sat-Set

I used and swore the tautline was the best for a long time before coming to this site and seeing the different knots available. Distel eliminates any roll out that the tautline had, is much smoother to release and grabs with out the use of hands. Just lean back and the knot grabs. Set up with a micro pulley to tend it one handed, I can tie it on my line on the ground and never have to retie again while in the tree. Granted the knot can not be tied with one hand like the TL but small sacrifice in my opinion for a superior hitch. There was a great article in this months ISA catalog about the different hitches used and the distel was very similiar to the TL in construction but since both ends were secure it did not roll like the TL. The TL can be handy if you ever need to double crotch on the tail of your rope. I tried the schwabich and did not like the way it grabbed my line. Many here use the VT which is supposed to be superior to the distel but for me, I am happy with the distel and would recomend it over the tautline. The article did make a good point about how different hitches and cords react differently to differents ropes and climbers weight so you will have to experiment some to get comfortable with your setup. I spent a lot of time hanging from a hook in my garage roof before putting in a tree. good luck and be careful.:)

If he's doing a lot of body thrusting and doesn't want to try and remember a difficult knot the Blakes is much better than the tautline and easy to tie.

But Xander.... Why screw around with a Blakes?-The Distel isn't as hard to tie as the Blakes and tress cord systems are superior.

I agree the distel is easier to tie but unless I use one of my longer cords I don't like it for body thrusting. I don't body thrust much but I do teach it to new guys. I find that footlocking (secured) is much more difficult to learn than body thrusting. I found that if you give a guy to much to soon it's like drinking from a firehose.......ya just can't take it all in.

For single rope technique I always teach the distel as the first knot. VT takes a little tuning to get it "right".

My $.02

I agree that a good progression on to other knots should go from tauntline to the blakes. The blake is a heck of a good hitch. The switch to a vt or distal (which I use) makes you climb a little differently. With the tauntline and blakes you are usually advancing the hitch by hand or have a tending system (pulley, dog leash snap,etc) that keeps the hitch away from the body to some extent. The distal, vt, etc is a hitch that is usually tied and kept much closer to you saddle. The closeness to the saddle for me is vital. It is a great working hitch that allows for quick and effortless adjustments where you may have to reach a little for you blakes or tl. On ascent the distal and vt are usually selfadvancing due to the closeness to the saddle and the pulley most people incorporate on the biner. That self advancing and the overall loosesness of the knot make it somthing that you need to keep an eye on while ascending a verticle rope. Never assume that you can just drop on the hitch, make sure it is dressed and set EVERY time you hang your life on it.
Greg

If he's doing a lot of body thrusting and doesn't want to try and remember a difficult knot the Blakes is much better than the tautline and easy to tie.

I agree. While I play around with some of the new fancy hitches, when it comes to actual working, I'm always comfortable and solid with the good, old blake's hitch. It won't let you down (so to speak).

Chucky
Throw, Bestow, and Go TREE SERVICE

I would put the TL and blakes in the same class in my opinion. I used to think the newer knots were to complicated but the distel is actually easier to tie than a shoelace and how long have we been tieing those? This is starting to sound like a new vs. old type of thread and ho*y crap I am on the new side this time.:blob2:

Yeah, dadatwins, I like this new hitch, the distel.

I haven't yet figured out how to use it climbing, but ever since I saw Tom Dunlap post about his climbers using it on their lanyards, I've copied it and LOVED it ever since. I'm so sick of throwing away $50 pitched up or fraying lanyards with two snap hooks, and when I discovered the alternative of just using some rope with a distel I was estatic! To me, it's been the biggest advancement I've experienced so far in a long time. I make the lanyard really long and daisy tail the end, so when I have to go way out on a limb I can use my lanyard to tie in to an accessory branch for stability, it's right there!

To achieve the full effect and benefit of the distel or aother advanced hitch you MUST use it with a spliced eye climbing line....
So give it a try with the spliced eye!!!

OH ......Raspberries! What "effect" of the distel to I not get because I tie my climbing line end to a 'biner with a Buntline hitch? Daniel you are full of prunes.;)

Try it you'll liek it...Also I know of at least one life a spliced eye climbing line would have saved.... Please try it and get back to us on the differences you've found..

I tried it but could not get used to it,I use a blakes for asscending & VT on my lanyard with a micro pulley(as shown p85 The tree climbers companion).I also have a prussik loop on my flip line.

Once in the tree i would switch over to the Lockjack twin in conjuction with a rope guide.it costs alot more but i think it does a great job.

Originally posted by Dadatwins
I would put the TL and blakes in the same class in my opinion.

i think you can put a micropulley under any of the hitches for tending Boss; even TL. i think that TL is the oddball; all the rest have ~2 round turns uninterupted for a crown and small alterations on the base to differentiate.

Seeing as 1 leg of Blake's is trapped like an anchor hitch and will not move; i think the coil (of 2 round turns) is pulled from that leg as well as the termination leg on saddle connection somewhat. So, even though it connects with 1 leg like a TL; it still pulls from both legs, from both ends of the coil like a mid ground between TL and other hitches.

i think that the Distel is a great trasition hitch to more advanced hitches. It can be even made in a piece of 1/2" to try. It laces in a clove formation like a TL. A TL is like a 2/2 Clove connect to bottom tail, Distel 4/1 Clove-connect to both tails. The familiarity, yet slight differance giving confidence and exploration at the same time. Distel is prolly simplest, non-jamming, most familiar for changeover.

Once again i prefer the other self tending hitch (Iciclcle); the mentioned Knut to me is very good for same; and 1 step away from Distel for continued simplicity when ya get that far! i like my Icicle laced in 3/8" Tenex. Self tending Icicle might be simplest to tie overall! But perhaps more persnickety about dress & set sometimes, but an easy lacing! Tenex is stronger for a less diameter line than host, and it lays flat , so grips and releases differently to me. Even worn it is better to me than other cords.

Aside from the TL, differentiatin between the rest of the hitches is easier i think once you make out/ filter out the double round turn and see what it left that alters that hitch from the rest. A Schwab to a Distel is only altering the direction of the bottom ring; To go to a Knut, tuck the right leg etc. Once learning the different finishes to the Double Round Turn strategy; you can put a Knut or Icicle finish under a VT to lend some self tending with the 'pusher ring' each provides at the base for the self tending function.

Barrel/dbl. fisherman eyes work for me, more bulky on end, but shorter than splice. The friction hitches are a family of similar working and built 'knots'; that don't need to be confusing. The 2 round turns still exist in a TL , but are split apart (like in 4 coil standard prusik); unlike the 'advanced hitches'.

i don't know if a list is needed, only understanding of mechanics and familiarity. The 2 legs connected allows the use of a smaller diameter cord for friction device for better grip, that allows using more slippery lacings i think, 1 less coil perhaps; that releases easier/ less comlplicated for tending up. i think the double round turn will give fairly positive stop (like it is a short 7 coil frenchy), and the finish of hitching underneath this coil insures stopping, and doesn't pass enough load to the double round turn coil to make the coil sieze.

Or something like that,
:alien:

Back