Contemplating the Distel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time out there men!

Don't put words in my mouth or make up some story about my logic or what I AM saying....
ALL I said is that a spliced eye would have saved this kids life! Nothing more. He's dead... gone ... a twenty year old kid.... maybe his first time in a tree.... no future.. no family... Now he's just a memory to those that loved him... Do you think his mother cares whether or not arborists "should" be properly trained in knot tying, or whether a lock jack is safer than a friction hitch or not??? All that matters to her is her son is gone from this world and she wakes up every morning and wonders what if... what if he went to colleege, or had a date that day, or went to pick up lunch for the crew insrtead of trying to climb while they ate lunch, or what if the line he was using had a spliced eye rope.... Then he'd still be here... he'd have a future....

That's all I AM saying... is that his Mother wished to God that he was using a spliced eye line that day!

Okay Daniel, I never disputed your assertion that a spliced eye would have made a difference to that man. What doesn't follow is that a spliced eye makes a difference in the use of the Distel hitch or that it holds any mysterious benefit for ME.

You were authoritatively asserting a non-sequiter!:angel:

Dada... you can tie a Distel one-handed. It ain't easy, and it takes loads of practice, though.

It's statements like that that reveal your limited understanding of advanced climbing technique... there is no reason to ever need to tie an advanced climbing hitch one handed... loads of practice huh... Back to my point about everybody trying to make themselves sound good around here... Based on that statement I'd say you're the one around here that's "average at best" and all those hundreds of climbers you've worked with didn't have much going on or you'd have learned better from them...

Yeah Eric,
Now you've got me thinking about it. I'm going to try it when I get back to New York on Tuesday. After work though, so I can go Low and Slow. What should I buy in the way of tresse cord and what diameter?

tony

I embraced the spliced eye at first but now much prefer a standard line. enabeling me to switch ends of the rope whenever I want. (not that a splice prohibits this practice)
I do not understand the coralation between a spliced eye or knot and the working of a friction hitch?

T

Tony,

I like the distel as a cross-over from the TL or Blakes to the "advanced" hitches. One thing I found frustrating was finding a cord that was compatible with the hitch and climbing line. If you have ready access to a store with different cords, buy small lengths of several types and see how they work. I don't have that kind of access and finally ended up with 8mm PMI pumpkin line. It works OK with my Sampson Blue Streak.

Whatever you decide I found this really helpful. It was posted by AxMan at Tree Buss. I was uncomfortable laying into my system adn hoping the hitch would grab. Sometimes they did, sometimes not. Try this instead. My hitch is on the right leg of my system. I use my left hand to pull slack out of the system and set the hitch (ie. see if it grabs), then sit into my system while releasing slack with my left hand--thereby avoiding the butt puckering "sit and see" approach.

I don't know what Murphy's talking about with spliced ends making advanced hitches more efficient. That may be true, but I'm not convinced. One thing though, tying double fisherman's on the cord will allow you to adjust the length of the cord to your preferance. I found that helpful. Unless you know how to splice you'll be stuck with a certain length.

Good luck,
BAB

Maybe it is a cordage thing. Maybe it is construction(number of wraps )issue. Maybe it is climber weight related. I can't relate to Brock's problem. My Distels have ALWAYS grabbed when loaded. Tried 4 different tress cord materials and 3 different host ropes. The 3/2 distels didn't release well for me on some lines but always grabbed. The 4/1s are just dandy.:cool:

There were a number reasons why I was getting unreliable performance, most of it was cordage related. I had some cords that were too stiff and wouldn't collapse properly when loaded. I had some cords whose sheaths were too "hard" and didn't grip well.

I had a problem with my micropulley setup where I think I was tying the distel too close to the pulley and if the line didn't fall through the system just right, the hitch wouldn't set.

I've ironed these issues out, but it wasn't just a matter of tying on any old peice of cordage and suddenly I was 20 lbs lighter and 20 mins faster.

Cheers,
BAB

Latest posts

Back