Newbie question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilGillis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a kit from Wesspur and trying to learn. My saddle is split suspension and on one side of rope, I am using an anchor knot/carabiner through both suspension eyes and on other side of the rope I tie a distel with eyed rope and run a carabiner through one eye, into a micro pulley, then the other eye. That carabiner is then ran through both suspension loop eyes. When rigged, the anchor knot line is on the inside (closer to chest) and the friction hitch line is on the outside (closer to tree). and I position where friction hitch side is on my right with slack exiting to the right. (I am right handed)

Is this a proper set up/rigging?
I first used a prusik but after a few lifts, the knot seemed to stay cinched and be hard to raise. The distel is seeming to work better for me.

Also, I dont see any videos of people using similar saddle and they tend to have a bridge. Using the bridge, this kid of puts things a little higher if that makes sense. What I mean is that in my setup my hitch is down at my waist. This seems low compared to watching videos and seeing things check to face height. Does placement of your friction hitch have any bearing of useability?

Will be scouring forums and trying to learn. My hats off to the people who do this for a living. I have no ambition to do it professionally but I would like to get to the point I can maintain my own property as well as recreationally climb. I do have a few other questions but gna hold off and see if people throw things at my first :)

phil

I think how you have your friction hitch oriented is all a matter of personal preference. I'm a lefty but given the option I choose to feed slack with my right hand. Also I generally like the hitch closer to me than the termination, again just personal preference. As for you question as to the length of the hitch from your body, closer is generally better for most things, I wouldn't be concerned with it on your split suspension saddle.
What hitch cord are you using? I like a distel with softer cordage but for me a firmer cord and a michoacan tends much easier and is a bit smoother on descents.

I think how you have your friction hitch oriented is all a matter of personal preference. I'm a lefty but given the option I choose to feed slack with my right hand. Also I generally like the hitch closer to me than the termination, again just personal preference. As for you question as to the length of the hitch from your body, closer is generally better for most things, I wouldn't be concerned with it on your split suspension saddle.
What hitch cord are you using? I like a distel with softer cordage but for me a firmer cord and a michoacan tends much easier and is a bit smoother on descents.

Thank you for your reply. I am using a 9mm RIT eye and eye prusik from Wesspur which was in their combo kit. I have never heard of michoacan but new to all of this. The distel was working better for me then a prusik the way I was tying . . 3 loops .. once it cinches a few times, it stayed cinched and was difficult to raise and later descend.

Just a thought. Maybe part of what the problem is that your gear is all new and if you're just starting out, you don't have anything to compare? It seems like you're on the right track to me, I'm thinking as you try different things, continue to stay safe and you will find certain things you like.

well that is very true. I am wanting to gravitate towards more assisted climbing. right now I am using DRT and body thrusts. I would like to be able to use leg(s) or something but seeing so many different setups. it is hard to grasp. I intend on getting better thrusting technique as I'm sure I look like someone in the electric chair flailing about but thinking about trying a foot ascender in the mix. Thank you for the reply.

If you're not close to the tree, then a foot ascender will be beneficial.

I would suggest you try different positions with your termination knot and your hitch and figure what is most comfortable for you. Low and slow.

Thank you for your reply and I will try. . I was kinda thinking a S.A.K.A. and foot ascender would be beneficial for energy exertion. I am not sure of the normal approach, but I am in proximity of the tree as I have been kind using it with body thrusts. I know my body thrust technique is bad and I will get it better, but thinking getting a leg or both legs in the mix would help but then juggle that with complicated setup, etc. Andy double rope people use a foot ascender and/or saka?

I use my foot ascender if I have to ascend more than six feet without crotches to help push myself up from. I also have a knee ascender for long ascents on doubled rope.

Latest posts

Back