Control Norway Spruce Height?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmax

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
House I bought has a 10 yr old Norway spruce on corner of house as a show tree. It's away from corner of house yet, but a good 13-15' tall with a very erect leader. Assuming cutting leader will control height and fatten up tree? Don't want it very tall. Advice?

You might want to read this before you even consider turning a healthy spruce tree into a butt-ugly disaster.

Eight Reasons to NOT Top Your Trees

I think it might be preferable to remove the tree and plant something that naturally doesn't get very tall. Topping the spruce isn't likely to give you the results you're hoping for, as it's not a shrub and won't respond quite like one.

You can cut the top and fatten the tree, but you have to be willing to shear it like a hedge 1-2 times yearly to maintain the height and shape.

You would be better to remove the tree and replace it with a tree that suits your needs better.
Wonder why anyone would have planted this tree here. Now I'll most likely have to get permission to take it out. I suppose a blue spruce should go back in?

If you want to keep something evergreen try a Weeping Alaskan Cedar, "Jubilee". They are slow growing and max out at 20' tall, 6' wide. If that is too tall, you should go with a Hinoki Cypress. I would probably go with a "Wells Special". They grow slowly and need very little trimming.

If you want to keep something evergreen try a Weeping Alaskan Cedar, "Jubilee". They are slow growing and max out at 20' tall, 6' wide. If that is too tall, you should go with a Hinoki Cypress. I would probably go with a "Wells Special". They grow slowly and need very little trimming.
I figure a lot of trees recommended in this thread, not even available near Indianapolis. Most likely be getting from Lowes, whatever it is. 1st thing is to get rid of the spruce.

Because I'm not gonna drive 100 miles to take care of this. I've gotten many fat Albert spruce from Lowes and no issues. On another note I do like the Bakeri and Wells Special. Thx for the tree info!

What are you trying to achieve with this tree?
Focal point? Do you want evergreen or deciduous? How tall? How wide?
If you want deciduous, do you want flowers, interesting bark, interesting trunk structure, leaf colour?

We have had fat Alberts before. Can get at a good nursery wholesale. That's what we're after. It is a focal point off corner of house. Found a guy to take out tree a grind the little stump for 150. The other trees mentioned are not available around here. Think I'm set for now. Thx

Back