Converted Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I've been using this splitter for a while now. I'm having some issues with it. Mostly the verticle beam and the slide-wedge. Today I split some dead white oak that was HARD! It did pretty good, but after the run today it had some war wounds.

What is happening is that the vertical beam is actually bent! This is a piece of 4"x6" 1/4" wall tubing. Initially the slide-wedge was binding on the beam. I took care of that by making more clearance between the slide and beam. I then had a 1/8" gap. I split a lot of wood that way and it was doing great. No more galling. Until today! Started seeing more and more. Then finally stepped back to look and noticed the shaft of the cylinder was bent about 3" from the wedge!

Anyways. It needs some re-engineering.

Is the vertical beam too soft? Do I need to find a different material? Or weld on some wear plates to the sides of the beam? Was hoping to get a lot of wood put up this winter, but can't do that if I'm broke down with a log splitter!

Thanks

the slide is too short, on all the ones I have built we always made the slide-guide 3 times the width of the beam used

So the width of the beam is 4". I need to make my slide 12" tall? WOW. What about timberdevils slide??? Here's a pic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the first one I built. I found that the surface of tubing is much softer than the mill scale on hot rolled beams. I changed mine to a longer slide and used AR 400 abrasion resistant steel for the slide. Instead of full wrapping the tube I welded 2x2x3/8 angle to form channels on the front of the tube, simillar to the formed beam of the Speeco splitters.

My splitter is completely tore down now. Main beam was almost 1/4" bent. The shaft on the cylinder is almost 1/16" bent. Don't know if I should replace the shaft or not?

I started redesigning it on CAD today. It will be getting a 6x25 H beam. I'm going to order an 8" wedge from northern. I hope this build will work better.

I wouldn't worry about the shaft and 1/16" bend. I bent my loader tractor curl cyclinder almost 3" and it never leaked. I straightened it several times until I had time to replace it. I would think that just your main beam wasn't strong enough. I build alot of stuff and usually I overbuild everything because I'm a little hard on stuff and I hate to take the time to do it twice. Of cost it is possible to build it too strong and waste money too but the beam is a key component so make her big.

Here's pic of new design. Shorter wedge. Going with 8" instead of 12". And locating the shaft in the middle.

attachment.php

You can make a set of V-blocks out of some hard maple 4x4s and use three of them in a press to straighten out the cyl rod. I have a set and use them to prevent damage when I straighten out somthing I dont want to damage. Like the dipper cyl on my old backhoe.....But we wont go into that here.

I ordered a 64" long piece of 6x25 H beam today! And started cutting other parts at work today. Ordered my wedge from Northern tool last night! Let's get this party started!

I ordered a 64" long piece of 6x25 H beam today! And started cutting other parts at work today. Ordered my wedge from Northern tool last night! Let's get this party started!

You need to borrow old faithful again? Im going cutting this weekend!

You need to borrow old faithful again? Im going cutting this weekend!

Have fun. I brought home a dead white oak 2 Sundays ago. 30" dia. I got a new 18' dovetail tandem axel. I put a winch on the front of it. Works great. Love the electric brakes on it too.

More progress! I spent almost all day at work on Sunday and did a lot of machining, welding, and fitting. I welded the 2 top plates on the H beam and set it on the mill. Dialed it in and popped 2 holes in for my cylinder plates. At least those are accurate and square! Got the table welded to the H beam also..

I'm patiently waiting for my wedge! I ordered it 2 Sundays ago! It still isn't here. It didn't ship until fri!!! Slow service! It should be here Thurs. though. Then I can get it welded up! I hope to be splitting wood by this weekend!

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's finished! Just need to pick up a longer piece of cable and a belt for the pump. Damn new belt already is cracked with a chunk missing! wtf!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back