Converted MS290 from .325 to 3/8, Now Gushing Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't note whether you intended to swap bars between your two saws, but otherwise I would have recommended an 18" bar with the 3/8 chain. I ended up selling my 029 Super with a 20" .325 bar because I didn't think it really had the power it needed to pull that bar. But then again, if you don't intend to bury it 20" deep in wood, you should be fine, and you'll have a little extra reach when limbing.

It's always a trade off. I grind some chain for a gentleman who runs an 18" bar on a Stihl 046. So I say do what you want, and let us know how it works.

I do not intend to swap bars between my two saws. I always had the 20" max-limit on the ms290 and still prefer it that way. I don't have to bend over as far when limbing and I've had the nose burried in red oak and was impressed with the performance, of course that was with .325 and not swapped to 3/8 yet. Anything that requires a full bar I use the MS441 with the 28" bar. I could have maxed out that one with 32" but chose to only max out the 290 with the 20" limit.

The oil pump wire was in the drum slot just fine. I guess I just got lucky. I compared the two identical bars (except for pitch), and the slots and holes are lined up identical and clear of obstructions so that rules out bar defects. I went from a Stihl 3003 008 6821 bar (.325", .050", 20") and swapped it out with the 3003 008 8921 bar today (.375", .050", 20"). Bars are identical except for pitch. I either am not getting a good oil-channel seal or am just over oiling. Maybe the 3/8-pitch chain requires the oiler to be turned down some? It just puzzles me why I couldn't get an oil spray off of the nose but it started dripping out from under the bar-nut area. It did stand out how the new 3/8" chain sits differently on the nose sprocket, unlike the .325.

Is it certain that the bar in question is for 3/8? Maybe the drive links aren't fitting properly and aren't carrying the oil down the bar?

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but something is wrong - I hope you remembered to change the drive sprocket to a 3/8" one, as well as the bar?

Another possibility is that you are running a Picco chain on a regular 3/8" bar - that would explain why the chain doesn't sit properly on the bar tip.

Last edited:
Check this link from Stihl's website. For some reason, it is showing PN 3003 812 8921 for the 290, and the bar you just bought for the 310,311,391 and 220. I was unaware the bars were different from the 290 to the 310 but stranger things have happened.

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf

EDIT: I got to thinking about this a little more and I believe that part number probably has 'Farm Boss' on it which makes it exclusive to the 290.

Now, back to what I originally was going to post before I checked the part numbers. Are you sure the bar was mounted flush against the bar pad and that it wasn't caught up on the shoulders of the bar studs? Have you tried to flip the bar over to use the other side oiler hole? Same result? Not sure why its happening. You've got oil to the slot, it should be going in the bar, that is the correct bar for that saw.

Last edited:

EDIT: I got to thinking about this a little more and I believe that part number probably has 'Farm Boss' on it which makes it exclusive to the 290.. .....

Well, "Farm Boss" was used on the 390 and the "non-pro" versions of the 260 and 360 here, the 290 never was offered for sale, for good reasons! :msp_rolleyes:

Check this link from Stihl's website. For some reason, it is showing PN 3003 812 8921 for the 290, and the bar you just bought for the 310,311,391 and 220. I was unaware the bars were different from the 290 to the 310 but stranger things have happened.

http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdfs/SawChainSelection.pdf

EDIT: I got to thinking about this a little more and I believe that part number probably has 'Farm Boss' on it which makes it exclusive to the 290.

Now, back to what I originally was going to post before I checked the part numbers. Are you sure the bar was mounted flush against the bar pad and that it wasn't caught up on the shoulders of the bar studs? Have you tried to flip the bar over to use the other side oiler hole? Same result? Not sure why its happening. You've got oil to the slot, it should be going in the bar, that is the correct bar for that saw.

Thanks for all the help. I believe a possible reason for the ..812.. suggested bar, is that Stihl also suggests the green safety chain on the ms290. For over a year since I've had and operated the ms290, I bought it with the yellow chissel chain and that's what the dealer supplied (3003 000 8921 bar) a year ago. I am switching from full chissel 23RSC yellow chain, to 33RSC chissel chain.

I will try flipping the bar after work today to see if it seals the leaks better. I paid very close attention to the flush seating of the surfaces. Has me puzzled for sure.

Last edited:
Well, "Farm Boss" was used on the 390 and the "non-pro" versions of the 260 and 360 here, the 290 never was offered for sale, for good reasons! :msp_rolleyes:

I will give you this you are consistent. If they never had them there how do you know how they run? Numbers arent everything you know.

Pard I hope you get it sorted out. Let us know what you find out.

I forgot to add that when I pulled off the clutch drum to check the pump spring was in the notch, it appeared dry of oil inside that area. That tells me the excess oil is not coming from that area. If I come up with a dead end maybe I'll put the problem new 20-inch bar and chain on the ms441 that currently has a 28-inch on it, just to see if it seals the oil. That should tell me if it's a bar problem. Thanks again everyone for trying to help me with my problem.

I'm running a 16" bar with 3/8" chain on my MS290,I could see if there is a part # on that bar for you.

I forgot to add that when I pulled off the clutch drum to check the pump spring was in the notch, it appeared dry of oil inside that area. That tells me the excess oil is not coming from that area.

I agree. If its coming out of the slot, its not a pump problem. Like I was saying, either there is an issue where the bar meets the saw or the bar itself has something wrong with it. Are you running .050" gauge chain on it?

If I come up with a dead end maybe I'll put the problem new 20-inch bar and chain on the ms441 that currently has a 28-inch on it, just to see if it seals the oil. That should tell me if it's a bar problem. Thanks again everyone for trying to help me with my problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

I agree. If its coming out of the slot, its not a pump problem. Like I was saying, either there is an issue where the bar meets the saw or the bar itself has something wrong with it. Are you running .050" gauge chain on it?
Let us know how it turns out.

The first 3 in the 33RSC chisel chain represents 3/8" pitch, the 2nd 3 represents .050" gauge. The new bar even shows .050 and 3/8 on it too. The only thing I can do now is to flip the bar, then move the suspect 20" chain & bar to the ms441 to see if it seals oil. That's all I can think of.

I had a similar problem with my 310 - did not swap bars, but noticed that oil instead of going on my chain was just running down the inside of the saw. My father-in-law looked at it and noticed that the front stud holding the chain against the body of the saw had backed itself out about a full turn; the front of the bar had about 1/16 inch gap out from the oil outlet hole. We backed the stud back to where it should have been - problem cured, plenty of oil!!!

May not be your cause, but something you might check out.

I also have a MS290. I purchased it with an 18" .325 setup and ran it for two years.

After having a long discussion with a Stihl rep in Michigan about upgrading to 3/8, and the rep telling me that he knew of 4-5 people who did it and loved it, I made the switch. I used the ES bar though from the pro saws. So it's not going to cut like a 361 or 460 that some of the guys on this forum are used to but I am certain you will be happy with it.

Here are my opinions:
1. It will out cut and out work anything Stihl sells with a .325 (even my 026) may upgrade that to 3/8 next.
2. With the same chain care the 3/8 will last 5 times as long as .325
3. I am at sea level. I have plenty of power.
4. you will not be disappointed.

My father and father in law each have a 290 with .325. If they run mine they are both blown away that it's the same saw.

As for the oil. This has happened to me twice. Once the stud backed out and I tightened it up. The other time is still a mystery. I try and assemble them as clean as I can but all I can figure is there was something between the bar and saw causing a gap. I pulled it back apart, re-cleaned, re-assembled and it worked?

Latest posts

Back