Cooking on your wood stove top!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cook on my wood stove in the winter! How many of you guys do the same and what do you cook?:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
At deer camp we use the old Fisher to cook are breakfest on. In a good cast iron skillet over the top of the stove.

Beefie

If the wood stove is hot, no need to use the electric range!

Just cooked boiled chicken last night. Basically things which need to cook a long time, boil water, etc.

I even cook turkey on the wood stove. Just place the covered roaster on the surface of the wood stove...

Come fall, most everything gets cooked on the wood stove, perked coffee in the am, to warm stews at night, save the baking for the weekends when I am about, too many bad episodes with bread baking while at work. If the stove has a log in it there is always a pot of hot water on it, good for dishes, warm drinks, hell, even a lil bath now and again.

When I'm out ice fishing, I do all my cooking on the wood stove in my ice shack. I use a cast-iron frying pan. I cook eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, hot dogs and ect. I enjoy using cast-iron frying pans on top of the wood stove.

I have a Lopi and they are designed to be cooked on but I haven't cooked anything on it yet.
However I do all of my steaks inside the stove with a 3ft long stainless fork that I made. It's like roasing marshmellow but with steak. They come out perfect and juicy within a couple of minutes.

Gas range gets no use from Sept through May. Stovetop cooks everything from grilled cheese to exotic sautees. Cookstove oven bakes all from pies to whole chickens to English muffin pizzas.

Twice a year we get notices from the propane company that they're threatening to cut off supply. We only need 3 fill ups a year for the 40 gal. tank, mostly for hot water.

Wood heat warms the home and fills our tummies!!!

I think I started the most recent chili thread :)

I've also done beef stew and turkey soup.

Been eyeing corn chowder recipes.

Been known to fry up eggs, burgers, etc. A bit slower then the 'lectric stove, but certainly practical.

The guy above who cooks a turkey in a covered pan makes me think about the possibilities of doing the same but with a chicken...

I think I started the most recent chili thread :)

I've also done beef stew and turkey soup.

Been eyeing corn chowder recipes.

Been known to fry up eggs, burgers, etc. A bit slower then the 'lectric stove, but certainly practical.

The guy above who cooks a turkey in a covered pan makes me think about the possibilities of doing the same but with a chicken...

Good on you or whoever.

Just a good god bless to any and all that adapt their cookery to the fact that there's a heat source domestically.

I see some of the stoves you all use and-well., they're pretty and proilly fit well with the decor. But stove's ain't furniture. They're appliances. And the more multifunctional the better. If you can roast potatoes, fry burgers, bake chickens, or whatever - all the better.

Not a t-partyer or back to earther. just cheep. if there's a fire putten off heat, why not cook a meal?!>

Whenever there is wood burning I try to use it rather than the electric stove. Soup gets heated daily at lunch.
I'll have to try a chicken next, seems popular. Venison roasts and ribs turn out well,or anything that can cook slowly.
If the morning fire has died down to just coals I occasionally make toast on a long handled wire grill, it's quick and has a nice smokey flavour.

Forgot one of the easiest ones till I was grocery shopping today -- baked potatoes!

Wrap 'em in foil, throw them on the coals like you're camping.

If I remember right, I do 15 minutes, flip, 15 minutes...too long they burn. I do remember it's hard to go by feel because the skin gets hard before it starts to burn, so it doesn't feel soft because you're past that point.

Forgot one of the easiest ones till I was grocery shopping today -- baked potatoes!

Wrap 'em in foil, throw them on the coals like you're camping.

If I remember right, I do 15 minutes, flip, 15 minutes...too long they burn. I do remember it's hard to go by feel because the skin gets hard before it starts to burn, so it doesn't feel soft because you're past that point.

Wow, why didn't I think of that. Good idea!

I have often wondered about baking potatoes on the bed of coals in the stove. I didn't know if it was safe to do with the doors shut in case there were any bad gases in there. Doesn't seem all that much different than cooking on a campfire, and I haven't died from that yet.

I hope someday to not have an insert so I can cook/heat things on top and won't be SOL if the power goes out and kills my blower. Also, seems like a waste of money and electric to turn my oven on to heat up stuff.

I lost my job about 2 years ago, I started heating and cooking on my woodstove and ended up with some damn fine meals, it was rewarding indeed. I didn't burn one ounce of propane for heat that winter, that felt good too.

this thread needs reviving

I just realized how dry my indoor air was getting, so i grabbed a large frying pan and sat it on top full of water to remedy the situation. Then i asked myself why i hadn't utilized my woodstove for cooking more often. Since i can see no reason not to, i'm gonna start cooking on it. Probably starting with bacon, green beans, butter, and possibly some mexicorn and hot sauces.:rock: and a bisquit wouldn't be too bad with gravy and/or grits either. Maybe some sausage gravy too:rock:

Back