Cord prices falling like dominoes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hundred per cord? That is rediculous. Hard wood sells for $50+ a rick here.
I agree, my price point for log length is 90-110 per cord. Ii could get processed wood for that then I'd buy thr hell out of it. Split and delivered firewood starts at $180 per cord and is usually green. If you want it cheaper you can get green rounds for $165 per cord. A lot of guys say they are not making a lot of money selling log length and I bet this year is a little easier on them with the price of fuel being low but they arnt hittingbthe lotto or anything.

! THAT'S = BS ! big time.. junk wood stays in the woods hey junk wood here sells for 35.00 as scrap by the truck load, ends limbs what ever you have laying around people want for cheap! garbage is money! cant make 35.00 laying on the couch!

People don't come on my landings unless they are working for me.

just checked my local C/L to see firewood for sale. 190 listings .anywhere from $150-$225 per cord. free delivery ,delivery extra, u pick up/haul. i guess some sellers are still optimistic here compared to some areas of the country.

Check price of heating oil or propane vs what they want for wood. It is time to put some discipline back into wood selling. Wood is a commodity and sellers need to learn that.
Put some discipline back into wood selling?? What the heck does that mean? Around here, if you sell a good product, you will get a fair price regardless of gas/oil prices. Also, for the most part, sellers who sell quality seasoned wood and actually deliver full cords usually sell out before the cold weather even hits.
Burning wood is not only a cost effective way of heating your home but it also gives a sense of independence from big oil companies and a feeling of beating "the man."

The OP is in Ohio where I've heard EAB is in full swing so perhaps that's the reason it's cratered so much in his area.

Most people buy wood well before winter i.e. Ant vs grasshopper children's story. So the grasshoppers, being opportunists, are limping by on cheap gas prices currently. Oil/gas prices go up, so will demand for wood.

I agree. I just do not see how the prices are so low. Firewood guys around here, including myself are selling wood for $50 a rick, $60 delivered. Now usually, we do bulk pricing for people, but we don't mark it down too crazy. That is what gets me, $100 per cord is crazy.

I'm in Shelbyville and those are the same prices I'm seeing. If it was $100/cord I would start buying it just to get ahead.

I agree. I just do not see how the prices are so low. Firewood guys around here, including myself are selling wood for $50 a rick, $60 delivered. Now usually, we do bulk pricing for people, but we don't mark it down too crazy. That is what gets me, $100 per cord is crazy.

I agree. However, I have a friend in MO/KS area that tells me $100 per cord is the standard price in a lot of areas. I cannot and will not sell firewood for that price; it is not worth it IMO. I get $60 a rick for mixed wood, $65 a rick for oak, $70 for pecan....all picked up. I normally charge $10/rick for delivery and $10/rick to stack. Cord prices are $150 for mixed and $180 for oak, delivery is more. I am small, but already sold out of 21 cord (16 of oak, and 5 of mixed). IT DOESN'T EVEN GET THAT COLD HERE!!!! When it does, it doesn't last very long. I think I have 2-3 customers that actually heat with wood and none of them have an OWB. I don't know anybody with an OWB.

I agree with firefighter. If I could get good wood at $100/cord, I would consider buying instead of cutting and splitting myself. In the end, I might make more money when you consider the time (huge factor) and cost of cutting/splitting it yourself.

I agree. However, I have a friend in MO/KS area that tells me $100 per cord is the standard price in a lot of areas. I cannot and will not sell firewood for that price; it is not worth it IMO. I get $60 a rick for mixed wood, $65 a rick for oak, $70 for pecan....all picked up. I normally charge $10/rick for delivery and $10/rick to stack. Cord prices are $150 for mixed and $180 for oak, delivery is more. I am small, but already sold out of 21 cord (16 of oak, and 5 of mixed). IT DOESN'T EVEN GET THAT COLD HERE!!!! When it does, it doesn't last very long. I think I have 2-3 customers that actually heat with wood and none of them have an OWB. I don't know anybody with an OWB.

I agree with firefighter. If I could get good wood at $100/cord, I would consider buying instead of cutting and splitting myself. In the end, I might make more money when you consider the time (huge factor) and cost of cutting/splitting it yourself.

When the price goes down, just sit on you stock. Winter just started and it's going to get cold, prices rebound when the temps stay cold. Here in northern Cali. The prices for a cord of seasoned oak have stayed around 225 to 250 delivered for a couple of years now. I cut for fun now because I have retired from construction and I get a little stir crazy looking for something to do. Nobody is getting rich selling firewood but there are so many people out trying to supplement their income that the prices have stayed low for a couple of years now. If it weren't for fixing chainsaws and cutting some real nice cedar and oak slabs with my Alaskan mill for my friends and me I would probably just sit in my rocking chair and drive my wife crazy.

If it weren't for fixing chainsaws and cutting some real nice cedar and oak slabs with my Alaskan mill for my friends and me I would probably just sit in my rocking chair and drive my wife crazy.
Lol:laugh: So here's the craigslist post that lead me to start this thread:

Cheap firewood !!! $100/cord - $100 (Madison)

Cheap firewood !!!
Hardwood blend !!!
No pine or softwood !!!
Cut to movable size !!!
$100/cord !!!
Pick up only !!!
30 cord available !!!

and this one:

firewood real wood not slabs - $150

Firewood for sale $150. A chord. The wood is cut and split and has been seasoned for over a year . Will sell ricks /or face chords if needed .

...and then you have the inevitable post like this:
$$ WARNING $$ do not buy firewood from - $175 (grafton north royalton)

This guy named tom.is a rip off artist. Be warned he has scamed me and others THE SAME WAY with a short cord and the worst part is he keeps saying he will make good and then never anwered any more calls from us. Same BS line to all of us...

Pass this on. Stop this kind of treachery.

********* SCAM ALERT *******

I recall this same thing happening to me when I was a total newbie to firewood and all it entails. Really leaves a sour taste in yer mouth:baba:

It's not too expensive, it depends on how you value your time. A firewood saw and a Fiskars are the only thing you need. If its your hobby then the time you put in doesn't matter too much. If its not a hobby and is taking away your time from another hobby then you might choose to buy it processed. Even with fuel oil at $2/gal I still can't heat my house for the season on $600 like I can with firewood. Even if you added the cost of fuel/oils and paid myself minimum wage ($7 something per hour?) It would cover it.

Put some discipline back into wood selling?? What the heck does that mean? Around here, if you sell a good product, you will get a fair price regardless of gas/oil prices. Also, for the most part, sellers who sell quality seasoned wood and actually deliver full cords usually sell out before the cold weather even hits.
Burning wood is not only a cost effective way of heating your home but it also gives a sense of independence from big oil companies and a feeling of beating "the man."
Burning wood is not cost effective when it is enjoying run away prices due to fireplace ambiance sales and oil is wholesaling for $1.09 on the commodities market like it is today. Yes, I know the quoted oil price does not include shipping and delivery but even so it is dirt cheap compared to most retail prices for dry wood.
The sell out early is a fact only because people do not treat wood the same way they treat everything else that they buy, including heating oil.

Fuel oil here is running about $2.20 a gal or so, most places are 100 or 150 gal min.

I'm staying plenty busy with firewood, just about as busy as last year when we were paying $4/gal.

You can't get a good price after thanksgiving by me. Everyone has their wood now. I get top dollar September 15 thru November 15. I'm talking split ready to burn firewood.

Back