Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like that means $150 or so for the minimum size, not the one I got for $40 or so at the warehouse club that works an electric drill or drop light fine. Then they seem to state plus or minus 5%. I imagine it means if you plot voltage vs time the graph looks like ripples from dropping a pebble in a pond. Sin, cosine, tangent, remember those guys?

Source: Oregon PowerNow FAQs
"Can I charge my OREGON battery packs using a 12V system with a DC to AC inverter?

There are options available on the market today. In order to ensure you do not damage your OREGON® product, we recommend only using a DC to AC inverter that meets the following specifications:
Input Voltage Range: 10.5 - 15 VDC**
Minimum Output Power: 260 watts
Surge Power: >300 watts
AC Output Frequency: 50–60 Hz
AC Output Voltage Range: >90 <130 VAC
Output Waveform: Pure/True Sine-Wave
Efficiency: >80%
GFCI Output: Preferred
** Vehicles and Inverters designed for 24 volts or higher are OK as long as the other minimum requirements are met."

I am not sure what this 'pure sine wave' output means, but they have included that phrase consistently for more than 3 years.

Philbert

Description of what the output looks like on an oscilloscope. It's "cleaner" power.
Most likely there is an informed sparky here can splain it better.

Source: Oregon PowerNow FAQs
"Can I charge my OREGON battery packs using a 12V system with a DC to AC inverter?

There are options available on the market today. In order to ensure you do not damage your OREGON® product, we recommend only using a DC to AC inverter that meets the following specifications:
Input Voltage Range: 10.5 - 15 VDC**
Minimum Output Power: 260 watts
Surge Power: >300 watts
AC Output Frequency: 50–60 Hz
AC Output Voltage Range: >90 <130 VAC
Output Waveform: Pure/True Sine-Wave
Efficiency: >80%
GFCI Output: Preferred
** Vehicles and Inverters designed for 24 volts or higher are OK as long as the other minimum requirements are met."

I am not sure what this 'pure sine wave' output means, but they have included that phrase consistently for more than 3 years.

Philbert

its filtered and regulated to produce true AC sine wave like a wall outlet, for sensitive electronics , like someone else said , they cost a bit more , starting about $150 for your power requirements .

I understand your argument fully, the only question remains is how much is the solar panel array and other stuff you need for creating the electricity needed? I believe most people could run a conventional gas saw for a VERY long time!

Actually, I think most people today, not saw nuts like on this site, but most people who buy small occassional use gas saws, rebuy another small gas saw every two years or so. They let ancient ethanol gas sit in the saw, yank it until the cord breaks, or it starts and burns up fast,etc, cuss a lot, go to a shop, get a quote for repairs more than half way to a new saw, or more than a new saw if they get quoted the most expensive OEM parts and shop labor, so they then go buy another one.

I don't know if cheaper inverters might work, but might damage or reduce the usable life of these batteries, or what. I have always heard that heat damages the batteries during recharging, but do not understand the technical factors involved, or why Oregon sells a standard charger and a fast charger, etc.

Philbert

I just looked on amazon, first page of hits for pure sine wave inverter, I see one for 80 bucks.

edit: reading the reviews on that one, a good tip. Dude said worked good, but to open them up, ditch the cheap internal fan and install a good ball bearing fan.

Someone posted this in another forum about the Echo cordless tools. I have no way to verify it, but it would not be inconsistent with Home Depot's use of other brand names, such as 'Rigid'.

"Those units arent made by Echo so all products that would have an issue has to go back to home depot. Echo is in the middle of producing a dealer version (will be under Shindaiwa thoigh)"

Philbert

Mmmm, that probably explained why I couldn't find anything on the Yamabiko (Echo/Shindaiwa) global website.
When Echo started sales of the 355 in America, the same model was found there with different codes (360 instead of 355).

Both of these have a higher pitch 'whine' than some of the others.

I want to try all of them!

Philbert

Yep! Man, they are getting real close to the 20 inch bar, full 3/8ths I want! Hasn't taken very long either.

I was reading the reviews on the greenworks 80 volt, supposedly works good, just the thermal shutoff (I assume they all have it) is touchy with the small battery. Supposedly they have much larger batts coming out soon (less discharge percentage from larger batt for the same power, which would mean less heat...guess, but I think that is correct).

I would think most any of these they have out now, the high end ones, are more than practical for the one small saw occasional use crowd. Especially with them all being pretty much multi tool, same batts and chargers, etc.

ECHO Pricing

I spoke to someone today who stated that the saws were designed by ECHO and will be sold exclusively through Home Depot and HomeDepot.com for the time being. Should be available in a few weeks. Any service or warranty work would be done by a HD rental department. These saws should not need the kind of service and support that a tw0-cycle saw does, but you could still drop one and need to order parts.

$299 for the saw with 4.0AHr battery and charger.
$199 for the bare saw.
$169 for a spare 4.0AHr battery (a 2.0 AHr one will also be available)

Philbert

Yeah i like my cordless saws too. Variable speed and fast charge time of 30
Seconds

Attachments

• 1416940924345.jpg
    1416940924345.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 13
Both of these have a higher pitch 'whine' than some of the others.

I want to try all of them!

Philbert
The high pitch whine has to do with the bar and chain. The body probably sounds like an electric toothbrush.

There's a significant difference in noise when I use a Husqvarna bar and chain or Stihl bar and chain (yes, with a little work this is possible) on my Husqvarna 536.
Husqvarna bar and chain produce way more noise than the Stihl combo.

Back