Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checkin' in. No sign of the brushless Oregon? I see they have an 80V saw now. It may be that they're chasing voltage numbers to no advantage, like they used to do with pixels in digital cameras. We'll see. My firewood season is over for the year, but I'll probably buy one next fall. Keep up the posts, y'all.

'Twould make more sense to rate the batteries in watt/hrs, and to let us know the motor wattage as well. I see that both Tesla and Nissan (Leaf) have configured their battery packs at 360 VDC nominal, for what it's worth.

Apparently the European markets rate their batteries differently. And there is the business of '36 volt' and '40 volt' batteries really being the same, but measured differently. It would be nice to have uniform standards. But again, the numbers are only part of the story. Just like some 5occ saws outperform some 55cc saws.

I am more impressed with the larger capacities of the batteries, which increase usable run time. From 1.25AHr, to 2.4, to 4.0 becoming standard. I have seen some 6.0 AHr batteries as well. I don't know what the practical limitations are; I would not want to carry around one of those large backpack batteries, due to the weight. Not sure if the fire hazards of Lithium-ion batteries increases with the size either - we tend to think of battery saws as 'safer', because they don't store flammable fuels, but some batteries have their own issues.

Philbert

Ohm's law is international. The nominal voltage of nearly all these Li-ion cells is 3.7, though a freshly charged cell would be higher. A 2Ahr 80 volt (74V) battery pack has the same capacity and weight as a 4Ahr, 40 volt (37V) pack, measured in Whr. I don't want a huge battery, and it's important to keep the weight of the saw+battery down. I don't plan to use a saw like this to make noodles ;^} I think around 150Whr is my preferred max for weight. Although if the cells keep gaining capacity, as they have been, that could increase. I think Tesla has proven that even enormous Li-ion packs can be safe enough for consumer use.

I think Tesla has proven that even enormous Li-ion packs can be safe enough for consumer use.

Well, a Tesla, Prius, or Leaf, and a long extension cord, might be part of a nice scrounging package!
(I know that some of the ham radio guys already think of these vehicles as 'rolling battery packs).

Philbert

Well, a Tesla, Prius, or Leaf, and a long extension cord, might be part of a nice scrounging package!
(I know that some of the ham radio guys already think of these vehicles as 'rolling battery packs).

Philbert
Yeah, if they'd come out with a 400 volt saw, you wouldn't even have to step down the voltage!

120 volts first!
Later this week we get the 5120 LiXP in for some serious testing.
1f6b8d73267ffa791e588342d2135028.jpg

It doesn't look as big as the 3120 sawfun, it is as big as a 3120! The housing is placed over the components. In the car industry this would be called a mule. Testing the technical components in a existing body. The saw in the picture is a fraction heavier than the 3120.

The ECHO 58V mower has ports for two, 4.0AHr batteries, but apparently, only uses one at a time. The Makita 36V saw has an option to use two, 18V batteries in tandem, for those who have already invested in their 18V tools. Maybe we will see more dual battery tools? Interesting to see the trade offs in battery sizes, weight, run time, etc. as these tools progress.

Philbert | Philbert

Back