Corn in a owb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got my crop in the bin.. got quite a bit in buckets and on tarps from cleaning my combine.. just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck burning it in their owb? Mixing it with the wood.. if feel like you would need some sort of basket to keep it from falling down into the ash tray.. may not be worth it.. just wondering.. thanks!

There are btu value to corn. And they do make multi fuel burners to handle all sorts of bio mass. What kind of owb do you have? Traditional or gasifier? I think the corn might plug up the exhaust gas nozzle in a down draft gasifier. But you probably could mix it with wood and get by

Shelled corn has approx btu/lb of 8000-8500

Firewood varries greatly on btu/lb based on species and is measured in million btu/cord so not a straight across the board comparison on btu value.

Doesn't work worth a crap unless you can get air blowing on it. I bought a ton of small coal at a auction years ago, every once in awhile I get keen and throw a 50 lb bag on the hot coals as my OWB gets burning. As long as the blower is blowing on it then it burns and gives off heat, as soon as the fan kicks off it just sits there. I even thought of dumping it into a cast iron pot and setting it in the fire. More time and energy than it's worth. Save it for bird or deer feed if you get a bad winter.

If you have a fan on your OWB it should burn fine. Natural draft stoves tend to smolder it and never really catch good fire. A shovel full mixed in with good dry wood would be ok but I wouldn't recommend filling it up with corn.

There are btu value to corn. And they do make multi fuel burners to handle all sorts of bio mass. What kind of owb do you have? Traditional or gasifier? I think the corn might plug up the exhaust gas nozzle in a down draft gasifier. But you probably could mix it with wood and get by

Shelled corn has approx btu/lb of 8000-8500

Firewood varries greatly on btu/lb based on species and is measured in million btu/cord so not a straight across the board comparison on btu value.

All firewood has almost exactly the same btu per pound.

I have access to lots of corn this year as well. Bad wind storms took a lot of corn down. Nuthing has worked to get it picked, if you get the down corn it takes root and all, run a hundred feel everything is plugged with dirt

My dad lived in a small town in south Dakota until he was 18. all they burned in their cook stove was corn cobs. He said there wasn't many trees around, so not much firewood. cobs would probably work good if you could get alot of them and just shovel them in. nowadays the combine shells the corn and just spits the cobs out the back, back then the corn was picked and shelled at the mill and there would be a pile of cobs.
I have noticed the farmers by me have been cutting the stalks after combining and baling them
guessing they use it for bedding.

Back