could've been done in half the time...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an awesome video floating around the interwebs where a guy hammers in some magnesium-alloy wedge and then proceeds with the cutting.

What a joke. Throw those platic wedges in the garbage where they belong.:laugh:

Nothing wrong with plastic wedges, he just needed a little bigger axe to drive it with.
Plastic wedges are great once you learn how to use them. Problem is, people just want to say they're junk instead of taking time to learn anything.

Andy

What a joke. Throw those platic wedges in the garbage where they belong.:laugh:

it's not he who laughs loudest, but he who laughs last...
and the old timers
will always have the last laugh.

and for what it's worth, i get the hardwoods down
just fine with plastic wedges

The plunge cut might not have been needed. But everyone is different and do things differently. I have no problems using plastic wedges. If the break, oh well. I will always find more of them when I'm out beating the brush watching the planting crews. If it comes down to it. I would have just b:censored:stered cut it. :monkey:

Nothing wrong with plastic wedges, he just needed a little bigger axe to drive it with.
Plastic wedges are great once you learn how to use them. Problem is, people just want to say they're junk instead of taking time to learn anything.

Andy

A bigger axe/hammer and more than one wedge. He waited to long to get the wedge started as well.

A waste of time with a bore cut on that one. What he lacked in experience he made up for in the PPE ballistic armor department.

All right guys, my old man has 35 years experience and doesn't use plastic. I have some and they don't even compare to steel for most of what I do. It is my opinion, sorry if I don't ride on your bandwagon.

What's this about learning how to use a plastic wedge? It's a wedge, you put it in the kerf, hit it accurately, use at least two side by side to work against the other, stack if you have too. If I am missing some special technique let me know.

Last edited:
You might want to go to the Madsen's and Bailey's websites. These are the two largest logging supply houses, probably in the world. Note the numbers of different wedges they use....styles, shapes, materials.....

Your old man is a timber faller, huh?

Ya'll might want to come out west, and see how the big boys fell real timber.....doubt you'll see a one of them packing steel into the woods....a few might have a couple magnesium wedges.....or a hardhead plastic......

yeah try getting a tree with 5 feet of back lean to go where you want without a wedge. lol hope the homeowner has insurance!

Ehhh my 200000 lb winch will make a wedge look like a joke.
I do have steel and plastic and use them both but not for
felling around expensive objects my winch performs that.

Last edited:
Ehhh my 200000 lb winch will make a wedge look like a joke.
I do have steel and plastic and use them both but not for
felling around expensive objects my winch performs that.

Please show us a pic of your twohundred thousand pound line pull winch and the aircraft carrier it is mounted to. :laugh:

Not everyone here can climb trees to set the rope at the correct height in a tree. Not everyone can drive up to each tree. Out here in the west we have steep hills and not every tree on flat ground has a road near it.

Please show us a pic of your twohundred thousand pound line pull winch and the aircraft carrier it is mounted to. :laugh:

Not everyone here can climb trees to set the rope at the correct height in a tree. Not everyone can drive up to each tree. Out here in the west we have steep hills and not every tree on flat ground has a road near it.

Thats where a Lewis Winch comes in handy. Just gotta make sure to get the line high enough, and not to drop the tree on the winch, and the operator!! :D

You might want to go to the Madsen's and Bailey's websites. These are the two largest logging supply houses, probably in the world. Note the numbers of different wedges they use....styles, shapes, materials.....

Your old man is a timber faller, huh?

Ya'll might want to come out west, and see how the big boys fell real timber.....doubt you'll see a one of them packing steel into the woods....a few might have a couple magnesium wedges.....or a hardhead plastic......

He used to be. He still does quite a bit of it among other things. Out west doesn't directly apply where I'm at. There are many differences.

Answer me this, granted I can get my wedges from tree to tree and I don't hit them with the saw, what advantage does the plastic wedge have?

granted I can get my wedges from tree to tree

If you aren't able to get your wedges from tree to tree you shouldn't be hauling any gear to begin with.

Back