could've been done in half the time...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nails,

You just have to understand we are tougher in Wisconsin and can swing that 8 pounder no problem to put those steel wedges in. In many areas there is a condition called weaktititis, which makes swinging a sledge too dificult.:laugh:

Really though, the only person I see out in the woods with plastic wedges is, well, me. That's about it, cause I like trying stuff out, and I had a guy show me how to use them. (Bigger the better BTW)

Don't see anybody carrying an axe around either, a few guys carry a couple plastic wedges in their pocket, but they just cut a hardwood club if they need to pound 'em.

Don't know what the big deal is with the steel, I've seen it done too.

Fuz, I have some shorter plastics for tree work, and 12 inchers for the woods the pouch/suspenders and the whole bit. Big pockets with the logger pants work good too. I do like the little grippers on the plastic wedges though I have never had a problem with steel comming out.

It seems fairly obvious from the posts that this is not an eastern hardwoods vs. western softwoods argument, so you can give that up too. Stick to using the wrong tool for the job. Go ahead and use metal wedges, but at least use felling wedges instead of splitting wedges.

Don't want to pipe in and be a smart#$%@^ but do you guys ever cut anything bigger than those telephone poles on the axmen show? I saw some big timber cut in Alaska but nothing really very big on that show. And, I am really trying to learn something here becasue I have never been to Wash or Oregon.

+1

Once again, we get talking about something interesting, and you get "I'm from the PNW and we're the only place in the world with big trees so everybody else shut up and the Axe Men producers found the only loggers who aren't awesome and don't use flame shooting Stihls with laser beams and aren't cutting 500 foot tall trees all day blah blah blah"

They must get sore shoulders from patting themselves on the back all day.

I mean it's beautiful country, and I'm sure it's hard work, but it's not the only place in the world with big trees or logging.

Last edited:
Don't want to pipe in and be a smart#$%@^ but do you guys ever cut anything bigger than those telephone poles on the axmen show? I saw some big timber cut in Alaska but nothing really very big on that show. And, I am really trying to learn something here becasue I have never been to Wash or Oregon.

Too late! So you're saying on Axman that there were no big trees? I think you should go back and watch the show again.

It does not matter to a plastic wedge what we call the tree. Hardwood or softwood the wedge acts the same, that is it keeps the kerf open and allows the faller to drive the tree over. With a proper 1/3 face cut and a hinge the correct thickness and the back cut in the right place some trees need just a nudge to commit to the fall. Many don't any help at all. However when the tree to be dropped is taller than say 125' that plastic wedge has to be set early on and kept snug. The slightest wind will start the tree rocking and any wedge can fall out easily, not to mention one that is sharply taperd and is heavy steel. Plastic falling wedges are basic safety gear and should be just an arm's reach away every time you fall a tree

Cant help but chime in now. All I cut is big eastern hw, bigger than anything that grows in WI. I know cause I been there.
Plastic is great, right tool for the job.

Nails,

You just have to understand we are tougher in Wisconsin and can swing that 8 pounder no problem to put those steel wedges in. In many areas there is a condition called weaktititis, which makes swinging a sledge too dificult.:laugh:

Really though, the only person I see out in the woods with plastic wedges is, well, me. That's about it, cause I like trying stuff out, and I had a guy show me how to use them. (Bigger the better BTW)

Don't see anybody carrying an axe around either, a few guys carry a couple plastic wedges in their pocket, but they just cut a hardwood club if they need to pound 'em.

Don't know what the big deal is with the steel, I've seen it done too.

Hmmm. Where I lived in Wisconsin, the fallers carried books on tape in their pockets, airconditioners and heat in their processors, and seldom got out of them. :) 20 to 39% ground was considered steep. I carried a picture from out here to show what steep really is. Steep there is when the forwarder tips over on its side.

When one outfit had to hand fall a tree, the grandpa did it. I think he was the only one who knew how. He also was the one to run a skidder and pull line, while grandson ran the forwarder. Then there was the other extreme. One guy working falling trees, cutting them into 8 foot "sticks" and then bunching them BY HAND WITH A PICKAROON. I thought that a little bit mad since hydraulics have been invented to assist in moving logs.

But if we had ticks like that here, I wouldn't want to get out of a nice cab either. Ticks....shudder:eek: :eek: :eek: They have lyme disease there too.
We only have meth heads and some kind of deadly bacteria moving down from B.C. :clap:

Hmmm. Where I lived in Wisconsin, the fallers carried books on tape in their pockets, airconditioners and heat in their processors, and seldom got out of them. :) 20 to 39% ground was considered steep. I carried a picture from out here to show what steep really is. Steep there is when the forwarder tips over on its side.

When one outfit had to hand fall a tree, the grandpa did it. I think he was the only one who knew how. He also was the one to run a skidder and pull line, while grandson ran the forwarder. Then there was the other extreme. One guy working falling trees, cutting them into 8 foot "sticks" and then bunching them BY HAND WITH A PICKAROON. I thought that a little bit mad since hydraulics have been invented to assist in moving logs.

But if we had ticks like that here, I wouldn't want to get out of a nice cab either. Ticks....shudder:eek: :eek: :eek: They have lyme disease there too.
We only have meth heads and some kind of deadly bacteria moving down from B.C. :clap:

Plastic wedges are very good for smahing ticks. Bush lawyers are bad here in the spring but not this late in the summer. We are on the ground alot now due to all the new calves, but no ticks.

Too late! So you're saying on Axman that there were no big trees? I think you should go back and watch the show again.

It does not matter to a plastic wedge what we call the tree. Hardwood or softwood the wedge acts the same, that is it keeps the kerf open and allows the faller to drive the tree over. With a proper 1/3 face cut and a hinge the correct thickness and the back cut in the right place some trees need just a nudge to commit to the fall. Many don't any help at all. However when the tree to be dropped is taller than say 125' that plastic wedge has to be set early on and kept snug. The slightest wind will start the tree rocking and any wedge can fall out easily, not to mention one that is sharply taperd and is heavy steel. Plastic falling wedges are basic safety gear and should be just an arm's reach away every time you fall a tree
I really don't know how to go back and watch again. Just staing what I saw> I probably missed most of the shows, but what I saw being cut should have been left for another 10 - 15 years so they could have made a log. However, different places do things differently and the more I can learn the better. And franlky, I really couldn't care less what kind of wedges anyone uses. I usually use the first one I can find (and yes I have some plastic ones and they seem to work OK).

I cut 30" northern hardwoods in michigans UP. I use plastic wedges and carry a light Ax. They work better then steel splitting wedges and are much lighter when you have to hike in a mile or so. When you hit them they just shread not destroy a chain. I have broken very few from hitting them, even when it is -30* outside... Guess steel wedges are a Wisconsin thing, hopefully it stays there.

I should have snapped a picture, but it might seem weird so I didn't. One of the fallers today had a very colorful assortment of wedges on his belt. It was very bright and cheery...yellow, orange, pink and orange. He was packing 4.

30" is big hardwood. And before its mentioned, yes, WI can grow some nice timber. But it sure takes a lot longer, but that ain't our problem eh, they all fall the same.

Steel wedges might be a better ice scraper, . I try to not have to do that in the first place. the red head wedges make me laugh some times because they remind me of a bloody stump of a forearm. Please tell the faller my compliments on his selections, festive indeed, good for the spirit. Maybe if they sold steel wedges spray painted we'd like them more... no, that'd be like running an old 044 "cause its bigger than that 660, just look at the body and plus, this blade (I love it when people call bar and chain the blade)is like 4 inches longer."

CA fellows I've cut with were scared as hell of our snakes (which seem to be, for the most part, incredibly scared of loud noises such as chainsaws or anything else to do with logging), they ran away before hornet and yellowjacket season. A backwoods buddy of mine told me he thinks meth is leveled off in TN, anyone and everyone thats interested has done it and is either hooked and on their way out or over it. Fascinating insight

Children, please stop squabling you're giving me a headache.

(puffs up like toad), Harumph, I've been cutting timber since Christ was a Corporal, and I've used steelies, maggies and plastic wedges, steel jacks, and alum. hyd. jacks.

I also learned early on how to use a dutchman.

For old growth fir I still like steel wedges and bar plates. But that's for OLD growth, the 450 year old stuff with white speck. And an 8 lb. hammer. If the old OLD growth has much lean I prefer an alum. jack. Or a line machine and some climbing gear.

For good thrifty second growth fir (250 yr, old)I prefer plastic wedges and a 5 lb. collins axe.

Mr. Bunyan, I mean Bushler, has spoken, and I, with all due respect, stand down.

Then there was the other extreme. One guy working falling trees, cutting them into 8 foot "sticks" and then bunching them BY HAND WITH A PICKAROON. I thought that a little bit mad since hydraulics have been invented to assist in moving logs.

I remember the infamous spring time "pulp peeling" season. The popple sticks (aspen) had to have the bark peeled off since the paper mills at that time would pay more if they didn't have to debark them or didn't have the equipment, I don't know. Anyways, cut em to 8 foot (100 inches later on), peel 'em with a hand spud, and bunch em, usually quicker to just carry them or end over end them minus a pickaroon. Then hand load them onto a sled behind an old Farmall or Ford tractor out to the landing.

A guy that could do 200 sticks a day was considered muy tough.

I tell ya, I hate bug dope, but I've been wearing it this year. Between the lyme and west nile virus I'm actually a little nervous outdoors.

Bushler is right, squabling gets old fast.

Children, please stop squabling you're giving me a headache.

(puffs up like toad), Harumph, I've been cutting timber since Christ was a Corporal, and I've used steelies, maggies and plastic wedges, steel jacks, and alum. hyd. jacks.

I also learned early on how to use a dutchman.

For old growth fir I still like steel wedges and bar plates. But that's for OLD growth, the 450 year old stuff with white speck. And an 8 lb. hammer. If the old OLD growth has much lean I prefer an alum. jack. Or a line machine and some climbing gear.

For good thrifty second growth fir (250 yr, old)I prefer plastic wedges and a 5 lb. collins axe.

I wonder if you read the disputed point in these posts. The issue is using a SPLITTING wedge, not a steel falling wedge and feathers. Do you stand by your point or do you wish to make a clarification. A steel splitting wedge for falling?

Back