Couple of Stihl 066 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourfivefour

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I looked at the manual and searched old posts on 066's and can't find a few answers.

1.How do you know it's an 066? (Serial#132232735)

2.What is the adjustable window in the top cover next to the spark plug hole?

3.Should the throttle lock open (fast idle) when the choke is on?

Thanks in advance..............454

Last edited:
1. Don't know

2. That's your winter/summer adjustment. Open it for cold wheather. Close
it for hot wheather.

3. Not sure it I understand completely, but I think yes, if I understand the
question right.

I looked at the manual and searched old posts on 066's and can't find a few answers.

1.How do you know it's an 066? (Serial#132232735)

2.What is the adjustable window in the top cover next to the spark plug hole?

3.Should the throttle lock open when the choke is on?

Thanks in advance..............454

1.If your saw is a 066 then its a newer one ,my 066 is ser.#1269161881
2.That is the winter shutter to bring warm cylinder air to help preheat the carb, but you'll still need the rubber covered top airfiter cover, my 066 is an Artic so I don't bother with it.
3.Yes the throttle should be on fast idle with the choke on and off and will cancel as soon as you blip the trigger.:)
Willard

Last edited:
It's not registered so you can't figure anything from the serial number, other than it was made in Germany.

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to measure the bore?:confused:
The PO said the saw was purchased at an ACE hardware, it still has the tag on it from ACE.
The reason why I question it is the saw I got looks like it may of had the top cover replaced. I read here that the cover will interchange with other saws. So it got me worrying that I may have been ripped off. But..........
I got the saw back together tonight and made a few cuts and it has WAY more power than my 65 cc saw, so I think I'm ok.

Maybe I should have asked "how do you identify an 066", how would you know what you got if it was missing the emblem????"

Thanks.........454

Upload a pic...

If it's 1122 series (first 4 digits from the major assembly part numbers), with that serial number...it can only be a 066

Was ACE HW selling 066 back in the mid 90's? Must have been a used saw trade-in

Last edited:
The guy claimed the saw was 5-6 yrs old, said it came with a 36" bar that he switched to a 25".
The saw has a decomp valve, aluminum flywheel, and see through fuel tank. I didn't take any pics when I had it apart........454
15596saw001-med.JPG
15596saw004-med.JPG

Na.... not 5-6 years... good looking saw but the serial number is from 1995-1996
It's an 066..

Last edited:
Like already mentioned all the parts will start with 1122.

The bottom of my handle also has a "PA66" on it.

It's surprising how many different 066's there are. The IPL notes there was an 066, 066W, 066M, 066MR, 066 Arctic, 066BR. All seem to have the same case and jug, there were many different mufflers, two different chain brake handles, two different bar covers, three different dogs, three different flywheels, two different ignition modules, some with generators, 8 different wiring harnesses, two different rewinds,three different handlebars, several carbs, several air filter/covers,

and a partridge in a pair tree...:D

Easiest way to tell an 066 from 064 is if you look down from the top the plastic is in a straight line along the recoil side of the 064. On an 066 the platitic of the top cover bevels way in near the tank. I believe the 660's went back to straight but its tough to get one of them mixed up with anything.

Back