Couple of winter projects!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Got a couple saws given to me today, in exchange for fixing another.

One is a 394xp locked up.

Other is a 395xp scored piston, missing muffler and top cover, and chain brake.

Hopefully get these put together this winter.

I will be looking for a 394xp sometime next year , keep me in mind if you want to rid yourself of one ;)

Pulled the 394 apart. Seems it was run just a tad lean. apparently it just had a new carb put on it. So I checked where the mixture screws were, the H screw was only open 1/3 of a turn, no wonder why this freaken saw burned up. Too bad to cause I see that this saw has been ported, its had the base gasket taken out, and the transfers have been worked over as well as the intake, couldn't tell if the ex was ported though, it's fairly black. So now I need a cyl for this saw. This thing is burned up bad, chunks out of the piston and cylinder, I actually had to hammer the piston out of the cylinder. Oh its got a bad spot on the crank bearings as well. Any special tools needed to seperate the case on a 394?

Last edited:
Got a cylinder and piston on it's merry way. Many thanks to Kevlar. Can't wait to get this beast going!!!

Now just need the parts to put the 395 together, then I might have enough saws. But probably not.

Will

Pulled the 394 apart. Seems it was run just a tad lean. apparently it just had a new carb put on it. So I checked where the mixture screws were, the H screw was only open 1/3 of a turn, no wonder why this freaken saw burned up. Too bad to cause I see that this saw has been ported, its had the base gasket taken out, and the transfers have been worked over as well as the intake, couldn't tell if the ex was ported though, it's fairly black. So now I need a cyl for this saw. This thing is burned up bad, chunks out of the piston and cylinder, I actually had to hammer the piston out of the cylinder. Oh its got a bad spot on the crank bearings as well. Any special tools needed to seperate the case on a 394?

Do you have a picture of the port work done on that 394 cylinder? I got a 394 that was worked over by a shop in B.C. in the mid 90's and the port work was some of the best I've ever seen.

Do you have a picture of the port work done on that 394 cylinder? I got a 394 that was worked over by a shop in B.C. in the mid 90's and the port work was some of the best I've ever seen.

I could take a pic, the transfers don't look very good, although I've never ported a chainsaw, I've ported car engines before. It had the base gasket removed, ported intake and transfers, couldn't tell about the exhause its covered in carbon, I guess I could measure it up to a stock one.

If you had a saw that was ported in BC, I would have to guess it was Walkers saw shop. They are the main guys around here that do that kind of work.

Nah, I've had three of Walker's saws and I know what their work looks like. I've had saws from 12 different builders, and this one 394 stood out simply because of the precision and beauty of the finish on the ports. I might also mention that it was the finest running 394/395 I've ever seen.

Nah, I've had three of Walker's saws and I know what their work looks like. I've had saws from 12 different builders, and this one 394 stood out simply because of the precision and beauty of the finish on the ports. I might also mention that it was the finest running 394/395 I've ever seen.

Ya, I couldn't really tell ya then. I don't know any other saw builders around here, I haven't been in the chainsaw game long enough.

Any recommendations for me to port this out?

Back