Craftsman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman2381

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site. and had a question. I am also fairly new to cuttin wood. My previous saw was the poulan wild thing 42cc, won't buy one again. It died after three years use. I just bought a new saw last night, It's a CRAFTSMAN(TM/MC) 46 cc Chainsaw with 18" bar antivibe handle. Just wondering what you guys thought of it? I would love to have a stihl But couldn't afford it this time around. I cut about 6 - 8 cord hardwood per year. How to you think the craftsman will do??

Well maybe next time in approx three years I'll get the better one. Oh well I'll see how she runs.

i have the smaller brother (42cc with 18" bar). mine has served very well, its not a stihl or pro quality though, its a rebadged poulan pro. mine now has burned about 10 gallons of mix in is still going as strong as it would anyway.

to better performance with mine, i removed:
1) the muffler innards to help it breath better
2) carb stops to properly adjust it
3) the safety chain and bar for better performance

the only other problem i had with this saw, was the intenz chain adjusting system----just couldnt get it right. you can buy a proper chain/bar adjuster for a couple of buck and put it on.

for the $200 i paid new(case, extra bar and chain, and oil/tools) with the sears warranty i rate this a decent bargin for some light-medium home owner use.

craftsman saws

welcome to the site! you'll find a lot of info here as I have. For a homeowner your saw should do well. this saw is made by poulan who made your wildthing and is considered a consumer saw. while there will most likely be some guys coming on here and telling you your saw is junk and you would have been money ahead to spring for a better saw, in my opinion these consumer saws work just fine as long as you take care of it. mix your gas right, keep the chain oiler working and don't pinch the bar or let your chain get too loose.(all things descibed in the owners manual) don't let trees fall on them either! also before everytime you use it check for loose or missing fasteners. a lot of times those things will go unnoticed by someone who "turns the key and expects it to go VROOM" then those little things that could have been easily tightened up will become bigger problems. parts are available for these saws and are fairly easy to work on. as for a guy that doesn't need a pro saw the money is well saved. Trust me I've had to work on my fair share of stihls, huskys and echos. the big thing is that they only last as long as they are maintained.

Mine has been a piece of junk from the beggining, Now i may have gotten a lemon. I would say If you got three years out of a wild thing that's not too bad. LIke it was mentioned take care of it and you should get your money's worth. I have a buddy who found a wild thing on the side of the highway, probably fell out of the back of a truck and it does a good job for what it is. If it works and cuts your wood, that's all that matters.

I mean no harm but 6-8 cord with a Craftsman is pushing it.

Sounds a lot like one of my neighbors. Every two or three years he ask me which brand saw to buy, then he ignores my recommendations and buys one at some box store. I figure in the dozen or so years he has been asking he has gone through I think 5 saws. No one around here will fix them.

Between the cost of the 5 saws, downtime, aggravation, wasted chains, fuel costs to get new ones I figure he is out close to $1k. How much does a Stihl Farm Boss cost?

6-8 cords of wood must be saving ya close to $2k in oil next year, why chance that on such a saw? I would have to disagree with 6-8 cords still being a homeowner saw, but that is just me. :)

Good luck with it either way.

Thanks

Well thanks for the info. Trust me I would have loved to have gotten a stihl but just couldn't swing it this time around. Next time for sure though. My poulan was a refurbished, and apparently I did extremly well for three years. I hope where this one's new it'll last a little longer. Here's hoping thanks.

No Worries, Tman! Just getting some experience behind a saw and making a point of learning about them (as you are now doing) is part of the fun. Once you know more, you'll be better equipped in the future to choose in favor of quality equipment.

If money is an issue, there are some fine deals out there on used, quality saws. Hang around, do some searches, and see what everyone else is doing. Arm yourself with some good information, add a touch of caution, and find a saw that really floats your boat!

Welcome to the site!

Oh.... I don't know what the state of limiter caps and funky adjustment screws is on the new saws, but maybe one of these guys can talk you through the process of richening that saw up! The new ones are so leaned out for EPA purposes that it drastically shortens their life spans. Restrictive mufflers are also part of the picture.. some are even catalytic!

Last edited:
Well thanks for the info. Trust me I would have loved to have gotten a stihl but just couldn't swing it this time around. Next time for sure though. My poulan was a refurbished, and apparently I did extremly well for three years. I hope where this one's new it'll last a little longer. Here's hoping thanks.

Hopefully it will not die but if it does, heres hoping you will be able to get one that lasts a life time.

My Crapsman 42cc/18" has been beat to death, and still runs like a top. Even though I purchased a Stihl MS460, I still keep the Crapsman for dirty jobs.

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site. and had a question. I am also fairly new to cuttin wood. My previous saw was the poulan wild thing 42cc, won't buy one again. It died after three years use. I just bought a new saw last night, It's a CRAFTSMAN(TM/MC) 46 cc Chainsaw with 18" bar antivibe handle. Just wondering what you guys thought of it? I would love to have a stihl But couldn't afford it this time around. I cut about 6 - 8 cord hardwood per year. How to you think the craftsman will do??

You already bought the saw so take care of it and treat it right and it will last.

I learned that if you spend the money on tools now it WILL save you in the end. I bought a Husqvarna 55 Rancher ten years ago and it is still running strong. I have had to do a little work on it this year but I have probably cut up about 40 cords of wood with it. That wood saves me about 1K a year in propane.

Tomorrow I am meeting a guy selling a Huskqvarna 445 with case and chains for $200. I am pretty sure it's in good shape. The story behind the price seems legit. With all the wood I am cutting now I need a backup saw and hopefully this one will last like my 55.

i have the smaller brother (42cc with 18" bar). mine has served very well, its not a stihl or pro quality though, its a rebadged poulan pro. mine now has burned about 10 gallons of mix in is still going as strong as it would anyway.

to better performance with mine, i removed:
1) the muffler innards to help it breath better
2) carb stops to properly adjust it
3) the safety chain and bar for better performance

the only other problem i had with this saw, was the intenz chain adjusting system----just couldnt get it right. you can buy a proper chain/bar adjuster for a couple of buck and put it on.

for the $200 i paid new(case, extra bar and chain, and oil/tools) with the sears warranty i rate this a decent bargin for some light-medium home owner use.

was that the kind with the screwdriver slot in the bar, I gave up trying to get mine to work.How did you fix it?

Last edited:
thanks i bet my saw never has had a tank of gas through it, I just gave up. But,that was when i bought my old 038, no comparison!

No Worries, Tman! Just getting some experience behind a saw and making a point of learning about them (as you are now doing) is part of the fun. Once you know more, you'll be better equipped in the future to choose in favor of quality equipment.

If money is an issue, there are some fine deals out there on used, quality saws. Hang around, do some searches, and see what everyone else is doing. Arm yourself with some good information, add a touch of caution, and find a saw that really floats your boat!

Welcome to the site!

Oh.... I don't know what the state of limiter caps and funky adjustment screws is on the new saws, but maybe one of these guys can talk you through the process of richening that saw up! The new ones are so leaned out for EPA purposes that it drastically shortens their life spans. Restrictive mufflers are also part of the picture.. some are even catalytic!

+1 my 038 was old when i got it but it was sure a step up from what I had been using

dt, yes, the Intenz bar is the one with the screwdriver slot. You can probably buy a bar adjust kit for your saw, it's a screw, screw retainer, and a threaded pawl.

yeah, the bar adjuster from just about any poulan will work, i got one from a trashed wild thing. if you put a proper bar tightener on it you can stil use the intenz bars anyway.

there is a trick to get itenz to work somewhat decent. prop the tip of the bar up on a block of wood so that the power head is only touching the ground with the rear handle and then tighten. if you dont do this tightening the intenz system has a tendency to drive the bar tip down and then you have a loose chain even if you hold the bar tip up.

Sears here in Canada has the Poulan and Craftsman saws sitting side by each and they are identicle except for the colour.
No problem. I still use the smaller saws for camping and throw one in the back of the truck when I cruise for free wood after a windstorm. Can leave those saws unattended for hours at a time and nobody steals them.

Latest posts

Back