Craig's List Super Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds stolen, he just put up a random pic of a different saw on craigslist? If you don't really care if its stolen or not, you got a good deal.

They do not raffle top of the line pro saws off to house wives... but hey keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night

He didn't buy it. His wife won it at a Christmas party raffle. Strange thing, my wife won a Christmas party raffle prize at her company party years ago.

The prize was two seats to a Sun's basketball game. The seats were mid-court, three rows up from the floor.

Since neither of us are / were sports fans, I sold them. And yes, we made some very good money on them.
Well that certainly explains the part where the picture was of a different saw than you bought. Are you going to go down to the dealer from where the saw came and register it with Stihl?

We have put equipment into raffles and give-aways before. Always left clear instruction for the winner to come down and get it registered.

FWIW, there are ways to find the serial number even if it is removed from the case. M-Tronic models are even easier....

Oh heck yeah. I just pulled out my two-way radio that is connected directly to the nearest police dept., gave them the serial # and waited for it to come back. In the meantime, me and the seller sat down and had a couple of beers and talked about the great weather we were having.

Aren't you the one who posted that you're a former LEO?

Keep digging, eventually you'll get out. :dizzy:

So he had more than one new 261? Did he show (or did you ask for) a receipt for the saw?
So you ran the serial number before buying the saw? I am fearful that the "good" person in this transaction may be the one missing a saw...
Why do you always assume that saws are stolen, you did the same thing with me, unless you are 100% sure, you should probably keep your mouth shut, have you any idea how offensive that is. Maybe his wife worked for a large ope company, we don't know, why would someone put a stolen item on public display with there personal info.

Why do you always assume that saws are stolen, you did the same thing with me, unless you are 100% sure, you should probably keep your mouth shut, have you any idea how offensive that is. Maybe his wife worked for a large ope company, we don't know, why would someone put a stolen item on public display with there personal info.

For starters, it is against Stihl policy to sell a unit without running it. Second, the model he has is about a month old and the price is WAY too low. Thirdly, if someone were going to raffle a unit, they would be looking for the least expensive unit to raffle unless it was raffled among a group of loggers. Lastly, the picture he posted in the cl add is of a different unit than he sold. It all adds up to something very fishy. I'm betting old dano will not post up a pic of the serial number.

Here is a challenge, dano: post a pic of your S/N. I'll run it and we'll see if it is legit. People post #s here all of the time, so it should not be a problem. Plus, I can get ahold of the dealer it came from, and you can go register it for the warranty. If the P.O. already registered it, they can transfer it into your name for the remainder. That saw is only a month out two old, so even if it is registered, you still have 10-11 months of warranty to take advantage of.

There it is, Mr. Legit. I'll be glad to eat crow if I'm wrong. Let's see the number.

The story sounds plausible to me. Obviously Dano would have the best idea if its stolen based on his interaction with the seller..

So was the seller ok with you going to his house? Was it a McMansion -- did he let you see what was around his garage without worrying you were casing the place??
--------OR----------
Did you buy from a seedy part of town out of the back of a truck from a guy with shifty eyes??

$350 is a pretty good profit if they won it at a raffle.

I never *assume* but I am wordly enough to know when 2+2=5. Tim has summed it up nicely, the evidence does not match the information presented. Sorry if you find it offensive that some on this site have values and take precautions not to deal with stolen property.

Perhaps if you ever had equipment stolen you would be singing a different tune.

I never *assume* but I am wordly enough to know when 2+2=5. Tim has summed it up nicely, the evidence does not match the information presented. Sorry if you find it offensive that some on this site have values and take precautions not to deal with stolen property.

Perhaps if you ever had equipment stolen you would be singing a different tune.
Have you checked the serial numbers on all your saws.

Last edited:
To the op. Did any of this even cross your mind when you were looking at the saw? Just to give you an example there is a junk shop near me that the dude has numerous stihls for sale. All brand new.

I plan on going back to retrieve some serial numbers to see if they are legit. It really struck me as odd that he would have that many brand new saws. Like 10. He also has tons of chains, bars, scabards and files. Either someone broke into a stihl shop, or hijacked a currier. Orrrrr, they might be legit. Doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back