Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was raised with vinyl, CDs were a gift from God!
I'm about to hold forth at length on psychoacoustics, rationalization, and the power of suggestion, so if this doesn't interest you, skip this post. You have been warned. :)

It's trendy right now to make the blanket claim that vinyl "sounds better," as if that were an objective fact. It's not. It's an opinion, and the only reason you don't really hear the opposing opinion from the other side is that digital is the standard and doesn't need evangelists. There are a lot of things about audio reproduction you can measure and quantify objectively, but what "sounds better" is and always will be subjective. To put this in perspective, there was a study done about ten years ago showing that the MP3 generation - those who had grown up on compressed digital files, iPods, and streaming - actually preferred the sound of the compressed, lossy mp3 files over the uncompressed source material. To them, the obvious audio artifacts of digital compression are "normal" sound. The waveform is far less accurate, but they find the change euphonic.

I think the same thing is going on with the vinyl fad. Do vinyl and CD sound different? You bet. Those things that can be objectively measured - waveforms, distortion, noise, channel separation, dynamic range, channel crosstalk - all show CDs to be far more accurate in reproducing the original waveform than vinyl ever was or could hope to be. Certainly there are people who like the vinyl sound, but what that really means is they prefer greater amounts of distortion because they like that kind of distortion. That's okay, if that's what they want, but again, it's an opinion and a preference, not a hard fact. Vinyl sounds better to them.

A good comparison might be the frame rate of film. 24fps has been the standard for ages, and you're conditioned to think that looks natural. When you see something in 48fps, like Avatar or The Hobbit, movement looks weird and artificial. 48fps is actually more accurate, but you've trained yourself to expect the less-smooth movements of the older standard.

When CDs first invaded the market the audio industry was all over it. "Perfect sound forever" was the claim, and they sold a lot of hardware, and everyone had to rebuy their favorite albums. It was very profitable, at first. But once that died down, it became obvious that the CD standard was not very conducive to repeat sales. There was not nearly as much difference between the music reproduction of cheap CD players vs. expensive ones than there had been for analog equipment, when customers could be put on the treadmill of upgrades, chasing perfect sound with diminishing returns. The customer who kept coming back to buy different phono cartridges and such in the pursuit of better sound stopped coming back after he switched to CDs.

The reaction of the high-end audio industry was to take a hard left turn straight into the land of voodoo and BS. This is when you started to see insane claims about accessories really start to take off. There was always a reason to buy good analog interconnects, up to a point, but when you see people spewing sciencey-sounding doubletalk about "digital smearing" to sell you a $100 digital interconnect that does exactly what a $2 one would do, or $250 power cords, or (and I am really not kidding) hand carved exotic hardwood knobs to make your amplifier sound better, you're listening to BS artists preying on your gullibilities. Remember the green pen thing? Thousands of golden-eared audiophiles convinced themselves that coloring the edges of CDs with a green marker made them sound better. There were even special green pens being sold in the back pages of audio magazines. Eventually everyone sort of realized they were being stupid and you stopped hearing about it. There's no science behind any of this, just mysticism and woo-woo. But it sells, because people want to believe in it.

With this in mind, is it any wonder the industry would love to see vinyl come back? It's expensive and fussy and focuses people on constant hardware maintenance. It takes audio back to a day when things like pricey interconnects and fancy isolation feet and so forth really did make some difference (still not as much as claimed, but it wasn't complete bullshit like some of those other things). And, a plus for the record labels, there's no way to file-share analog. CDs and MP3s were the moment that they dropped the leash on their moneymaker, and they'd love to put that particular dog back in its pen.

There are people who genuinely prefer the distortions of vinyl, just as there are those who prefer the distortions of tube amplifiers. But I think right now their numbers are being swelled by a lot of newcomers just wanting to be part of the vinyl elite, which makes it easy for them to convince themselves that vinyl sounds better to them. Most of it has more to do with fashion, rationalization, and status than with anything concrete about audio reproduction. But people love their hocus-pocus and magical thinking.

Sorry for the diatribe. I had to get that off my chest. We now return you to making fun of morons on Craigslist.

Then, of course, stereos with vacuum tubes sound better than the solid state ones . . . .

Philbert
That may be true, but everyone knows the wind up Victrola with the single funnel speaker was the peak of the audio listening experience. It's been downhill ever since with these kids and their newfangled I-whatevers.

image.png Yeah, I guess it got cut off but this a 22ton. I emailed the seller to see if I get 2 of them.

$5 for 3 splits?

766193f7f9cc00ce1b06021bfcb5b3a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I should reply, "just look for the trail of bitten children, and half eaten Pomeranian's."

Ahhh! That's an old wives tale. Pitbulls like any other dogs are what they are taught by their owners. I have 2 of them, sweetest critters you will ever meet. Had a third one but she developed bone cancer and passed. She was a sweetheart also.
that is what every pit bull owner says, when they are being interviewed on the news after their sweet loveable, wouldn't hurt a thing, pitbull snapped and went on a rampage. I have a friend who's daughter was bitten in the face by and akita. nicest dog you'd ever meet. she knew the dog for years. she bent down he licked her face, she stood up and bent down again, he liked her face again. she stood up and bent down a 3rd time, and he took a chunk out of her face. scarred her for life. they are animals, they have personality flaws just like ppl do. some are violent some aren't. (shrug)

that is what every pit bull owner says, when they are being interviewed on the news after their sweet loveable, wouldn't hurt a thing, pitbull snapped and went on a rampage. I have a friend who's daughter was bitten in the face by and akita. nicest dog you'd ever meet. she knew the dog for years. she bent down he licked her face, she stood up and bent down again, he liked her face again. she stood up and bent down a 3rd time, and he took a chunk out of her face. scarred her for life. they are animals, they have personality flaws just like ppl do. some are violent some aren't. (shrug)
I don't understand. How is an akita attack evidence that pit bulls are uniquely violent?

I don't understand. How is an akita attack evidence that pit bulls are uniquely violent?
well when he said pitbulls are like any other dog. he was correct. my point is that they are animals. some turn violent some don't. he said it was how you raise the dog that determines whether they turn violent or not. so I related an experience of a dog that was raised by peaceful ppl. and who was also known for years by the girl he bit. hence proving the point that its not how you raise the dog, some dogs just turn violent.

Didn't read all the way to the last paragraph, did ya? :) I don't blame you. That guy just drones on and on...

I work in the cb radio communications field and can tell you from experience that a tube linear amplifier produces cleaner modulation on the oscilloscope than a solid state transistor linear amp, even the competition amps. Also, on a spectrum analyzer, the tube amps sends the energy where it is suppose to go with less bleed over on other frequencies than a transistor amp. This is not me preferring them over solid state, as I can abuse the crap out of a transistor linear and not damage it, unlike a tube amp. With that being said though, a tube amp does produce a cleaner, warmer sound.

that is what every pit bull owner says, when they are being interviewed on the news after their sweet loveable, wouldn't hurt a thing, pitbull snapped and went on a rampage. I have a friend who's daughter was bitten in the face by and akita. nicest dog you'd ever meet. she knew the dog for years. she bent down he licked her face, she stood up and bent down again, he liked her face again. she stood up and bent down a 3rd time, and he took a chunk out of her face. scarred her for life. they are animals, they have personality flaws just like ppl do. some are violent some aren't. (shrug

I understand what you are saying hupte. My point was most who hear "pitbull" assume the dog breed is no good and will attack anyone for no reason. This is patently untrue of the breed. ANY animal is capable of having a trigger that will cause it to attack, whether it be dog, bear, wolf or even human beings. My pitties are very docile animals, however I have enough common sense where I would not allow them nor any other dog I have ever owned to be around a child or strange adult unsupervised.

It is statistically proven that quite a few breeds including retrievers, dachshunds, huskies, collies and quite a few others have worse temperament than pit bulls. A simple google search can provide this information. I have several friends with pits and they are truly amazing dogs. As stated above, they are just like people, certain things make them mad. It is definitely suggested that you do not get in any dogs face.

[QUOTE="Dirtboy, post: 5730621, member: 113513
I understand what you are saying hupte. My point was most who hear "pitbull" assume the dog breed is no good and will attack anyone for no reason. This is patently untrue of the breed. ANY animal is capable of having a trigger that will cause it to attack, whether it be dog, bear, wolf or even human beings. My pitties are very docile animals, however I have enough common sense where I would not allow them nor any other dog I have ever owned to be around a child or strange adult unsupervised.[/QUOTE]
everyone being interviewed on the news says their pit was the nicest and most docile dog ever, until it bit some kids face off.

if any organization in the world should stand up for animals it would be peta. here's what peta says about pit bulls:
The pit bull's ancestor, the Staffordshire terrier, is a human concoction, bred in my native England, I'm ashamed to say, as a weapon. These dogs were designed specifically to fight other animals and kill them, for human sport.

They are fine around adult humans, but they get fixated on any small dog or cat and work as a pair if they can, equally excited and unmanageable. This is not unusual for pits. If I said this about a collie or a beagle, it would be surprising.

It is safer for other dogs and for small children to have a chance encounter with a poodle, cocker spaniel or mixed hound than it is for them to have one with a pit bull. Of course, that's a generalization, but it's also true.
if you had a Chihuahua or a child and someone said,
"Behind Door A is a pug or a Labrador, and behind Door B is a pit; you
choose which door we will open," which door would you choose? Right.

So, knowing that pits and pit mixes are responsible for more attacks than other dogs - not just fatal attacks, but ones in which an eye or limb or self-confidence is lost for life - is it right to suggest that people should continue breeding this kind of dog? Especially when other wonderful dogs are crying out for homes?.
source: http://www.realpitbull.com/peta.html

looks like they will cut easy. since they are so rotten. lol.
00J0J_6W0hvGItMMh_600x450.jpg

00d0d_26QnalpOAMR_600x450.jpg
00000_7Pu69GIfSsK_600x450.jpg
00O0O_gZ0vGzuIKhL_600x450.jpg
00n0n_9ZPSslW1p5A_600x450.jpg

6 large oak trees on ground ready to be cut, split and hauled away. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .FREE!!
These trees have been standing dead for several years and are now down on the ground.
Wood is dry and would be great for use in wood burners or fireplace. Very accessible.
Williams Bay, WI / show contact info

Back