Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the hits just keep on comin'...

Date: 2011-10-11, 11:01PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Free tree to cut down on my property. Tree is close to house and over 40 ft in height. It's not a pine, so would be great for firewood. Need gone ASAP. Great for tree company and I have more trees if they like! Serious inquiries only, no time for JOKERS. Contact me for pics.

Now of course, I'm gonna have to take some time to contact this nitwit and share a few jokes of my own.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I particularly love the title of this one... 'cuz when I'm thinkin' firewood, freshness counts!

fresh split firewood for sale - $165 (middle river)

Not just the tree anymore...

Black Walnuts (Kutztown)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-10-12, 10:56PM EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got 'em, come and get 'em!! The tree was very generous this year.

Please email if you want them!

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2647026076

How tall is it?

Large Pin Oak tree for Firewood (Reading PA)

Date: 2011-10-08, 7:56PM EDT

Large Pin Oak, in my backyard, about 60-100 feet tall. I would like someone to cut it down and haul it away for FREE FIREWOOD AND/OR LUMBER!

Please contact me at my email address if interested. If picture is desired, will send one via email with request.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2639867810

rick roll?

SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12' TO 14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS/FR
fricken hill billies!LMAO
SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12' TO 14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS/FR - $30 (LEXINGTON)
Date: 2011-10-16, 8:55AM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12'TO14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS
30 DOLLARS A RICK ROLL 2 RICK ROLLS MAKE A 4X4
CALL 606-706-2426
JESUS IS LORD

SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12' TO 14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS/FR
fricken hill billies!LMAO
SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12' TO 14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS/FR - $30 (LEXINGTON)
Date: 2011-10-16, 8:55AM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
SEASONED CUSTOM CUT FIREWOOD 12'TO14' FOR BUCK STOVES AND INSERTS
30 DOLLARS A RICK ROLL 2 RICK ROLLS MAKE A 4X4
CALL 606-706-2426
JESUS IS LORD

So Joe Jed Jim Henry Bob is getting 360.00 per cord of CUSTOM cut firewood.
Jesus is Lord, but cash is king.....at least that's the idea I get from the math.

Dave

Since we're on the subject of black walnut

Black Walnut & Chestnut Trees (Bath, OH.)
Date: 2011-10-20, 10:54AM EDT
I have 5 beautiful, mature black walnut trees in my yard that I am looking to get rid of. I've been offered $500 per tree so far. That includes stump grinding and full cleanup! Also, I have a few chestnut trees in the back of my property as well. Please contact me via email. John

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I think he should've jumped on his "offer"

PostingID: 2654698019

Bigger problem is the 50/50 split. Umm no thanks
You would be better off buying the wood for a set price, then reselling it.

I actually didn't mind this when I was cutting wood for myself only. But it was cutting only and nothing else; no splitting, stacking, etc. Wood was left in place. Gave me some more saw time which I always enjoy. Plus, and don't tell anyone, I would always leave the worst pieces, i.e. crotches, knots, etc. Typically, if there was a large amount to cut, by halfway through the first day, the owner would come out and say, "Oh my, that is more than what I need, you can just keep the rest." :givebeer:

not exactly firewood but its about all it worth... Rough Sawn White Oak Scraps - $100 (Crete, IL)

Date: 2011-10-21, 12:21AM CDT

I have a garbage can full of scraps from rough sawn white oak lumber I had milled. This wood is from a 160yr old tree that I had cut down and is all from the trunk, so there are very few knots in it. When I received the 1000 board feet of lumber I cut all of the ends off as they were not cut squarely. Most of the boards ranged in widths from 6" to 14" and much of it is quarter sawn. I would say the average length of the pieces is 6-8in and they are all 1-1/8" thick. I figured this wood would be good for a wood worker. It has a moisture content of ~8% as I checked with a friends meter.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Rough Sawn White Oak Scraps

PostingID: 2660903078

I'll call tomorrow but Im sure it will be gone allready...free pine!

Remove pine tree (Putnam, CT)
Date: 2011-10-16, 4:01PM EDT
Looking for someone that will take away a large pine tree that was cut and is in our yard. Free to just remove from yard.

100& oak firewood 16"-18"

Given that most folks can't tell a cord from a chord, I think the idea of trying to provide some point of visual reference is a valid approach. Looking like a cross between Zorba the Greek and Reverand Jim Ignatowski, I might suggest a surrogate model. Maybe somethin' along the lines of say Pamela Anderson in a flannel thong... and chaps of course.

View attachment 203870View attachment 203871View attachment 203872View attachment 203873

Hey... just 'cuz it's not plaid doesn't mean it's not flannel!

What's with these firewood prices?

Aged Red Oak firewood - $75 (street MD)
Aged Red Oak firewood

I suppose that seasoning is no longer enough to differentiate one in a crowded market. We are now "Aging" our firewood... kind'a like a fine wine. :)

I would like to comment however, that the prices being advertised by folks that supply firewood for a living, are a bit of a puzzle to me. Years ago while living on the DelMarVa peninsula we used to supplement our slow season with firewood sales. We had two splitters behind the shop and would cut our own logs as well as have tractor trailer loads dropped in trailer lengths for about $15 a cord. Back then (and I'm talkin' like 30 years ago) I seem to recall we could get about $125 -$150 a cord locally (in an area where just about everybody had stands of red oak in abundance right outside their door), and $175 to $225 a cord for seasoned oak, split/stacked/delivered.

Since inflation due to our Federal Reserve constantly dumping more scrip into the market - literally by the trillions - has devalued our currency by at least 30% just under the last two knuckleheads to get elected, why is firewood experiencing a relative decline in price (when compared to other available energy sources)? I don't know about you, but even natural gas is expected to go up at least 5-10% this winter here, and they' aren't even forecasting a particularly harsh one. Other forms of energy have enjoyed tremendous technological economies of scale while increasing in price (even though most of it's probably just higher taxes placed upon it), but firewood today, in spite of some extremely ingenious automation, is still principally a guy with a chain saw and a splitter.

The cost of those saws, splitters and the consumables associated with them have more than double and tripled. The cost of the fuel to run the equipment and trucks has about quadrupled! When adjusted for inflation my insurance is still up at least 100%, as are the road tolls (actually more like 300% and climbing), and the cost of government mandated ABS/Airbag/crash bumper equipped vehicles has put them on par with what I paid for a house back when. Even with the recent decade's decline in average earnings, the customers buying the wood are still making almost twice as much as they did 30 years ago (forgetting for a moment that what they earn is in reality nearing total valuelessness).

So why are folks only gettin' today, near about or less than what I was gettin' 30 years ago? It's not that we were particularly expensive back then either, although our margin was a hell of lot healthier than what people are willing to work for today? My gut tells me we're just steadily workin' toward a third world economy, where our sweat continues to be devalued with our currency, as more and more jobs flee to follow even cheaper labor available overseas. More folks out'a work means more pressure on the labor market to work for less. Some will and some won't. Who says illegals don't impact everybody?

Time was I could have ten cords of logs ready for buckin', dropped right next to my splitter for $150. For a couple of days' work I could manage a before tax net profit of near about $1,500, in an economy where gas was less than a buck, and bread was 2/$1.

Not until the Fed ceases propping up artificial markets will we actually see any correcting of this imbalance, but in the mean time... I'll just let it sit before I sell myself that cheap. A business model built on bein' the cheapest guy in town typically ends badly.

Ron Paul: Blame the Fed for the Financial Crisis - WSJ.com

O man it gets better every day Firewood who wouldn't want to spend a hundo for some "seasoned" unsplit cotton wood

Firewood - $100 (Vernon Hills)

Date: 2011-10-22, 7:36AM CDT

Seasoned cottonwood fire wood for sale.
$100 takes all of it.
You need to come pick it up.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Followed up on a CL ad today for a wire dog kennel 'in excellent condition'. Wires were all bent and rusty - wouldn't store my dogs' _____ in there. Wonder what he thinks a 'fair' or 'poor' condition one looks like.

Philbert

Back