Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unemployed

Aged Red Oak firewood - $75 (street MD)
Aged Red Oak firewood

I suppose that seasoning is no longer enough to differentiate one in a crowded market. We are now "Aging" our firewood... kind'a like a fine wine. :)

I would like to comment however, that the prices being advertised by folks that supply firewood for a living, are a bit of a puzzle to me. Years ago while living on the DelMarVa peninsula we used to supplement our slow season with firewood sales. We had two splitters behind the shop and would cut our own logs as well as have tractor trailer loads dropped in trailer lengths for about $15 a cord. Back then (and I'm talkin' like 30 years ago) I seem to recall we could get about $125 -$150 a cord locally (in an area where just about everybody had stands of red oak in abundance right outside their door), and $175 to $225 a cord for seasoned oak, split/stacked/delivered.

Since inflation due to our Federal Reserve constantly dumping more scrip into the market - literally by the trillions - has devalued our currency by at least 30% just under the last two knuckleheads to get elected, why is firewood experiencing a relative decline in price (when compared to other available energy sources)? I don't know about you, but even natural gas is expected to go up at least 5-10% this winter here, and they' aren't even forecasting a particularly harsh one. Other forms of energy have enjoyed tremendous technological economies of scale while increasing in price (even though most of it's probably just higher taxes placed upon it), but firewood today, in spite of some extremely ingenious automation, is still principally a guy with a chain saw and a splitter.

The cost of those saws, splitters and the consumables associated with them have more than double and tripled. The cost of the fuel to run the equipment and trucks has about quadrupled! When adjusted for inflation my insurance is still up at least 100%, as are the road tolls (actually more like 300% and climbing), and the cost of government mandated ABS/Airbag/crash bumper equipped vehicles has put them on par with what I paid for a house back when. Even with the recent decade's decline in average earnings, the customers buying the wood are still making almost twice as much as they did 30 years ago (forgetting for a moment that what they earn is in reality nearing total valuelessness).

So why are folks only gettin' today, near about or less than what I was gettin' 30 years ago? It's not that we were particularly expensive back then either, although our margin was a hell of lot healthier than what people are willing to work for today? My gut tells me we're just steadily workin' toward a third world economy, where our sweat continues to be devalued with our currency, as more and more jobs flee to follow even cheaper labor available overseas. More folks out'a work means more pressure on the labor market to work for less. Some will and some won't. Who says illegals don't impact everybody?

Time was I could have ten cords of logs ready for buckin', dropped right next to my splitter for $150. For a couple of days' work I could manage a before tax net profit of near about $1,500, in an economy where gas was less than a buck, and bread was 2/$1.

Not until the Fed ceases propping up artificial markets will we actually see any correcting of this imbalance, but in the mean time... I'll just let it sit before I sell myself that cheap. A business model built on bein' the cheapest guy in town typically ends badly.

Ron Paul: Blame the Fed for the Financial Crisis - WSJ.com

We have lost, roughly ten million private sector jobs since the last two bozos in charge where in charge. That's a lotta dudes with house notes and truck payments to make.

It'll just keep on that direction as well, because you just slap know some bilderberger IMF approved bought off conman with pearly whites will get elected, never fails. The media tells the population who to vote for and it don't amount to a noodle pile which letter D or R is next to their name either.

I've heard people tell me since the 70s "don't waste your vote" on a third party or independent candidate..and I can't see where any vote for one of the two corrupt parties has been anything *but* a wasted vote.

Much as I like RP and might vote for him..might..better chance to me if he would resign as an R and go full independent-even then you know "they" wouldn't let him win, not with controllable black box voting now and their ability to completely manipulate the tally.

I vote from inertia mostly, that's it. I don't expect anything to change until the entire nation collapses, similar to what happened to the soviet union.

Hopefully, we won't go through a multi faceted civil war. left/right, young/old, private sector/government sector, urban/rural, race/race/race/race, blue/red state, blue collar/white collar.

Enough divisions with enough acrimony now for ten civil wars, let alone just one.

OWS and the Tea Party all started with the same anti boogie man, both against the big banks and wall street, now, the media and the D and R manipulators got them going after each other. Didn't take long either.

Old roman trick that still works, get em divided, keep em divided. Best way for 1% of the population to keep the other 99% as serfs or slaves. Very effective.

prices...real similar in the beef and poultry markets. No increases for the producers for a LONG time, but costs of production keep going up and up.

Middlemen and the wall street scammers still make more and more though.

Nothing burns better than that garage wood...

FREE FIREWOOD

FREE FIREWOOD (Pottsville Pennsylvania)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-10-21, 1:24PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The roof of the garage collapsed. Come and get the wood. You can use if for firewood, etc. Come get all you can haul.

Location Pottsville Pennsylvania

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2623221067

Mmmm, mmmm, good. Everything's better with a little asphalt and fiberglass on it. Personally, I like to wrap all of my split locust in tar paper a'fore I burn it. Anybody ever try EPDM? :msp_smile:

Oil crisis

FREE FIREWOOD

FREE FIREWOOD (Pottsville Pennsylvania)

Date: 2011-10-21, 1:24PM EDT

The roof of the garage collapsed. Come and get the wood. You can use if for firewood, etc. Come get all you can haul.

Location Pottsville Pennsylvania

PostingID: 2623221067

Take a skil saw to the mess and you can heat with it. Back in the oil crisis I helped a guy emergency switch from an oil heater to his wood heater. He burned pallets and an old shed he paid me to tear down nails and everything. He just set his two sons to work after school either cutting around nails or yanking them out. Saved his bacon that winter bigtime, every single tiny stick of seasoned firewood got sold out locally, there was nothing but raw just cut green for sale for quite a distance around, or at best standing dead that still had a lot of moisture in it. I know a lot of folks back then all of a sudden were looking at a heating bill much higher than their mortgage note!

That old garage and shed wood is usually wicked dry pine, and it would get semi green hardwood burning good enough to use. Not quite raw green, but partially seasoned. Get that scrap lumber going real good and hot, wide open, throw that semi green wood on there, by the time the scrap burns down -fast- that green stick is ready to rock and will keep burning normally.

Ya, you got to clean your chimney a lot doing that, but it *does* work.

Highly Valuable Walnut Tree

Well, Cleveland CL finally bounced my Highly Valuable Walnut Tree post. I was surprised that it lasted so long. They also bounced this ad that I run every year. I should have made it more sexy and put it in the Personals.
October is Chainsaw Safety Month
Date: 2011-10-24, 5:45AM EDT
Reply to: your anonymous craigslist address will appear here
October is Chainsaw Safety Month. Wear your helmet and wear your chaps. The average chainsaw cut is 110 stitches and $16,000 in medical cost. Cut your femoral artery and you won't even have time to grab you cell phone.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2660316633

... as opposed to an artificial cord.

Firewood Genuine Cord Harford - $200 (Harford and Eastern Balto)
Date: 2011-10-25, 9:28PM EDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]
Seasoned, split, covered and ready to be delivered. It is mixed maple and cherry delivered free to the surrounding area. I will stack for a negotiable fee. I sell a genuine measured cord or half cord. 200 for a full and 110 for a half. Please call 443-91038O4

PostingID: 2669127831

WANTED: TREE TRIMMER TO CUT BACK HUGE MAPLE TREE (1422 N WESLEY ST, N.E. SPRINGFIELD, IL)
Date: 2011-10-24, 10:13PM CDT
WANTED: PROFESSIONAL TREE TRIMMER/CUTTER TO CUT BACK HUGE OVER 100' TALL MAPLE TREE FOR THE WOOD.
MUST BE LICENSED/INSURED WITH MIN. OF 100' BUCKET AND ABILITY TO CLIMB OUT OF SAME.
THERE WILL BE AROUND 5-7 PICK UP LOADS OF FIREWOOD/ SPLIT, AROUND 10 LOADS.
MUST ALSO DISPOSE OF ALL BRANCHES TO SMALL FOR USE/ CHOPPER WOULD BE BEST.
SMALL KNUCKLES/MOSTLY FULL LIMBS.

I particularly like how he can estimate how many truckloads it will be!

that is unbelievable....I'm sure that tree is gonna sit there till either he pays someone proper or, it falls on his house.

WANTED: TREE TRIMMER TO CUT BACK HUGE MAPLE TREE (1422 N WESLEY ST, N.E. SPRINGFIELD, IL)
WANTED: PROFESSIONAL TREE TRIMMER/CUTTER TO CUT BACK HUGE OVER 100' TALL MAPLE TREE FOR THE WOOD.
MUST BE LICENSED/INSURED WITH MIN. OF 100' BUCKET AND ABILITY TO CLIMB OUT OF SAME.

Shouldn't have any trouble finding someone with a 100' bucket.:msp_confused:

:help::cry:

PILE OF FIREWOOD NEED TAKEN AWAY TODAY

daytona beach craigslist > for sale / wanted > free stuff
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
PILE OF FIREWOOD NEED TAKEN AWAY TODAY (PALM COAST)

Date: 2011-10-26, 8:51AM EDT

I have a small tree cut up that would be great for firewood. I have some logs and lots of kindling. come get it today. 4 crompton place, palm coast 32137. just take it ALL away

PILE OF FIREWOOD NEED TAKEN AWAY TODAY

daytona beach craigslist > for sale / wanted > free stuff
please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
PILE OF FIREWOOD NEED TAKEN AWAY TODAY (PALM COAST)

Date: 2011-10-26, 8:51AM EDT

I have a small tree cut up that would be great for firewood. I have some logs and lots of kindling. come get it today. 4 crompton place, palm coast 32137. just take it ALL away

just the right amount for a bon fire...

Free walnut tree for the taking

Free walnut tree for the taking (Lansing )

Date: 2011-10-08, 12:02PM EDT

i am sorry to all the people who have called me recently on this walnut tree i had to have my number changed it was 1-517-444-0877 but like i said that one has been changed my new number is 1-517-455-1626 my name is Jody and the tree is still standing here we would like it gone a.s.a.p and you can have all the wood from it the only thing we want out of it is to have the stump ground down when it is cut out of here, no i do not own the house where it is sitting but i just talked to the home owner yesterday and she told me to get rid of it so if anyone out there is interested still please give me a call and come take this annoying thing down for me Jody @1-517-455-1626 this tree is about 3 feet wide at the base and taller than a 2 story house it sits on the other side of a single driveway so when it is taken down it will have to be done from the top down piece by piece most likely it is ready and waiting for the taking

Free Apple Tree

Free Apple Tree (Saginaw)

Date: 2011-10-27, 10:05AM EDT

I have an apple tree in my backyard I'd like removed. You cut down and the wood is yours, you are also respondible for clean-up and stump ground out. Please note picture below. You can contact the email above and I'll return a response asap. NO SPAM, serious inquires only. Thanks for checking my ad, have a good day.

Free walnut tree for the taking

Free walnut tree for the taking (Lansing )

Date: 2011-10-08, 12:02PM EDT

i am sorry to all the people who have called me recently on this walnut tree i had to have my number changed it was 1-517-444-0877 but like i said that one has been changed my new number is 1-517-455-1626 my name is Jody and the tree is still standing here we would like it gone a.s.a.p and you can have all the wood from it the only thing we want out of it is to have the stump ground down when it is cut out of here, no i do not own the house where it is sitting but i just talked to the home owner yesterday and she told me to get rid of it so if anyone out there is interested still please give me a call and come take this annoying thing down for me Jody @1-517-455-1626 this tree is about 3 feet wide at the base and taller than a 2 story house it sits on the other side of a single driveway so when it is taken down it will have to be done from the top down piece by piece most likely it is ready and waiting for the taking

Really? Couldn't figure out why the first number had to be changed?

I don't own the house but it is ok with the owner......

got in that situation once in college. Lady paid me to remove marble slabs from a library being demolition. She was head librarian and said it was all ok'd and blessed. We show up, 'start over there because it is less noticeable'.. after a while 'what is going on, who are you....' sort of got worse from there.

Just-N-Time Auto

You could even get the oil changed on your truck while you cut the tree down. hahah

Just-N-Time Auto (Lansing)

Date: 2011-10-18, 2:48AM EDT

i am offering oil changes out of my own personal garage at my home for anyone interested in having a awesome and good oil change done and not feel as though they are paying way to much for one i will be glad to do your oil change for you my name is Jody and My number is 1-517-455-1626 please feel free to give me a call and get a time scheduled to do your oil change for you i am open from 8 am to 8 pm M-F and 10 am to 4pm on Saturdays and closed on Sundays unless prior arrangements have been cleared through me i can and am capable of doing many other things

Latest posts

Back