Craigslist Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shucky darn. Now I have to make a trip out to my pasture to check my honey locust whether it does or doesn't have thorns. I planted a row of what the catalog said was black locust but turned out to be honey locust. Can't say as I have noticed thorned or not but I do have at least one of them putting out the big bean pods.

Harry K

Harry, If your HoneLocust had thorns you would notice it pretty quickly. Around here , the THORNS will even have thorns on them. Black Locust will usually have a pair of thorns protecting each leaf bud.

Coog - my friend ! You have Hickory ?! I didnt know there was any this far north and west. I have yet to see one in Cowley or Sumner County (Ks) or Kay, Osage, Payne or Pawnee Co (Ok). I get to see some in Arkansas and can only bring back a few measly sticks of it in the car. Otherwise I am using trimmings from my Pecan tree for the smoker. Again , Nice score on the BL.

I'll save all my branches for you.Strange thing about the Hickory on our place is that it is acting like a pioneer species, taking over pasture like hedge or ERC.As I am trying to restore pasture I'll be cutting a lot of <10" Hickory and Blackjack Oak.Takes a lot of trees to make a cord, but the splitting is minimal.One great thing about the the bigger Hickory trees is that they hold a tree stand solidly and are easy to climb.

Harry, If your HoneLocust had thorns you would notice it pretty quickly. Around here , the THORNS will even have thorns on them. Black Locust will usually have a pair of thorns protecting each leaf bud.

Coog - my friend ! You have Hickory ?! I didnt know there was any this far north and west. I have yet to see one in Cowley or Sumner County (Ks) or Kay, Osage, Payne or Pawnee Co (Ok). I get to see some in Arkansas and can only bring back a few measly sticks of it in the car. Otherwise I am using trimmings from my Pecan tree for the smoker. Again , Nice score on the BL.

Keep in mind he's talking about Sedan KS, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm...a-us-bk-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google maps It's a whole nother world out there than what you and I are used to! I spent a couple months out there helping renovate a house.
It MIGHT be ten miles off the OK border, and the Oak out there is Gorgeous!!!

coog, with the sandy soil out there the wood doesn't rot as fast as you expect it to. You can easly drop a tree and leave it for a couple years to season on it's own. It's nice out there!!!

Actually, I can just about throw a football over the border from our place.They call this part of Kansas The Western Ozarks because it really does look more like that part of the world.Hadn't thought about the sandy soil and drying, but I'm sure you are right.The biggest concern is stacking it out of sight of wood thieves.Where are you other Kansans from?

Actually, I can just about throw a football over the border from our place.They call this part of Kansas The Western Ozarks because it really does look more like that part of the world.Hadn't thought about the sandy soil and drying, but I'm sure you are right.The biggest concern is stacking it out of sight of wood thieves.Where are you other Kansans from?

Just East of Wichita, maybe five miles.

I have 80 acres out between Tronto and Fredonia that I play on and I have wandered around a LOT of the Eastern part of the state.

Any deer up your way? Saw some biggies out at my place last year, but the biggest two bucks I saw were within a mile of the airport.I was staring one down at about 40 yards and he actually charged at me about half of the distance.Thought he was huge until the 12 pointer walked within 10 yards of me without even looking up. Kansas is cool...

I've heard of a few ten pointers from the guys scouting already. Used to be a HUGE fourteen running around outside of Eldorado. Never could get him clear of the trees so I could run him over on the way to work:cry:
I've seen a couple of nice Does on the way to work already, but nothng big yet.

I'll save all my branches for you.Strange thing about the Hickory on our place is that it is acting like a pioneer species, taking over pasture like hedge or ERC.As I am trying to restore pasture I'll be cutting a lot of <10" Hickory and Blackjack Oak.Takes a lot of trees to make a cord, but the splitting is minimal.One great thing about the the bigger Hickory trees is that they hold a tree stand solidly and are easy to climb.

I'm not real up on the Hickory, except Pecan. I wouldnt have thought Hickory would outdo BlackJack or Hackberry for this area. If you need some help cutting ... some weekend I would bring my own fuel and saws to get in on even some of that Hickory. I'm not short on wood or places to cut but none of them have good smoking wood. I wouldnt even mind getting a small sackfull of the Hickory nuts and tend those for years to come. Just a thought

Those nice straight trunks do give you an excellent place for a tree stand.

Wichita passed some ordinances a while back due to several house fires caused by burning Hedge in fireplaces. Seems nowadays they have to pass laws to make up for some peoples lack of common sense.

The Pecans here should give a good harvest, if I can keep the squirrels away from mine. The squirrels have really been making a mess of them and the Apples.

Welcome to Kansas I hope you find the area to your liking.

Congratulations on your 300th post! Be happy to share some hickory with you.Our property is very hilly, and in some areas the hickory nuts were plentiful enough to give you a quick ride downhill.I'm not sure I'd like to burn hedge in a fireplace, but my Jotul will eat it up.I've built several decks with Ipe (trade name:Ironwood) Wow! One scrap of that in the stove and watch the thermometer jump.

Keep in mind he's talking about Sedan KS, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm...a-us-bk-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google maps It's a whole nother world out there than what you and I are used to! I spent a couple months out there helping renovate a house.
It MIGHT be ten miles off the OK border, and the Oak out there is Gorgeous!!!

coog, with the sandy soil out there the wood doesn't rot as fast as you expect it to. You can easly drop a tree and leave it for a couple years to season on it's own. It's nice out there!!!

Coog , Thanks ! I hadnt realised I was that close. I racked up quite a few on a couple of discussions trying to explain a couple of ideas. Usually I just sit back unless I think I might have something positive to add.

sawinredneck Sedan is straight west of me. I used to spend part of my summer there in scouts as a youngster. I dont remember anything but BlackJack Oak where we were. I don't get over there often. I used to work over there quite a bit but like a lot of things that fizzled out.

I'm in Cowley County where the Flint hills run out. East of here starts into the country he is talking about. West of here is the Arkansas River, Beyond that is mostly open prarie, broken up only by the occasional fencerow.
I have family or access in the counties I mentioned. I have heard of Hickory being in Pawnee County Oklahoma, a long time ago. I have yet to run onto any. If I do cut a fruit or nut tree, I try to put one back in the ground someplace close by. The wildlife don't need to go hungry this time of year.

Last edited:
I don't recall seeing Hickory in Sedan proper either, but if he is south, and just a bit east he'd be in the beginings of the thick of it. Barrtlesville is were it gets thick.
I am on the Western edge of Butler, so you're just a bit South and East of me. Lots of Elm, Hedge and Hackberry, not much else worth cutting:greenchainsaw:

I don't recall seeing Hickory in Sedan proper either, but if he is south, and just a bit east he'd be in the beginings of the thick of it. Barrtlesville is were it gets thick.
I am on the Western edge of Butler, so you're just a bit South and East of me. Lots of Elm, Hedge and Hackberry, not much else worth cutting:greenchainsaw:

You're not kidding unless you just like Sycamore, Willow and Cottonwood. We have a few other species besides what you mentioned. I dont find to much of them out here often.

A few stands of Red Oak near the Arkansas River, Blackjack to the South or East, Hedge still in some fencrows or pastures and more Honey locust that I care to get close to in the summer. That there is Winter wood. I like to get as many layers of protection between me and those daggers it grows for thorns. Buckthorne, Hawthorne, Black Locust and Hedge have nothing on Honey Locust. I have been eyeing some all Summer while cutting Hackberry and Mulberry.

We obviously need to to plan a cookout on the place.I'll have Elk steaks (hopefully) by November and there are plenty of fish in the ponds.I didn't know how lucky I was until I heard from you guys.

If the lay of the land is anything near what I'd expect, you shouldn't be dissappointed by it. I'm up for Elk ! Or venison. I wouldn't want to show up empty handed though.

Last edited:
Well.................. Ya'll like you're steaks cooked over Oak? Seems I would be the mid-point here, and I like to cook..........................................

'Taters on the grill, maybe some Asperagus? I'm getting hungry now!!!!

The Locusts are good hard wood, the Cottonweed is nice for bonfires when it's green, but it's paper dried aroud here. My dad raised me on Hedge, thats all I burn, now he's on an Elm kick? Figure that one out? You can find some Walnut along the creeks if you look hard enough, I found a MONSTER Oak on a creek bed a couple years ago, 72"x48" at the stump, 11+ cords not even three miles from the house! You don't come across those often though:cry:

Well.................. Ya'll like you're steaks cooked over Oak? Seems I would be the mid-point here, and I like to cook..........................................

'Taters on the grill, maybe some Asperagus? I'm getting hungry now!!!!

The Locusts are good hard wood, the Cottonweed is nice for bonfires when it's green, but it's paper dried aroud here. My dad raised me on Hedge, that's all I burn, now he's on an Elm kick? Figure that one out? You can find some Walnut along the creeks if you look hard enough, I found a MONSTER Oak on a creek bed a couple years ago, 72"x48" at the stump, 11+ cords not even three miles from the house! You don't come across those often though:cry:
Hard to believe, but slightly green locust makes a good smokin' wood that I bet few people know about. I smoked a 3-lb pork loin roast with locust wood in a Brinkmann barrel cooker over the weekend for about 4 hours at 300 F. Man, was that delicious. :cheers:

Hard to believe, but slightly green locust makes a good smokin' wood that I bet few people know about. I smoked a 3-lb pork loin roast with locust wood in a Brinkmann barrel cooker over the weekend for about 4 hours at 300 F. Man, was that delicious. :cheers:

"Any thing that makes a fruit, nut or thorn makes good smoking wood." That comes from a cousin in Arkansas thats been close to the land from day one. The fruit of the Honey Locust is edible and it has a thorn 2 +'s in its favor. Never though of it as smoking wood. Ill have to set some aside for that this weekend If it's dry enough to get in and cut.

OKay ! , grilled potatoes, saute'ed onion( in real butter ) next to some good red meat of any kind and roasting ears over an open fire has me hankering to head out back till it gets done. Mac-n-Cheese just isnt going to cut it tonight.

Gotta go , Its suppertime and Friday night. get-r-done.

Latest posts

Back