Crane / Man Basket Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for your input guys....

We did the tree this morning and things went well.

I apologize for not wording my question in a better fashion and not providing a picture.

My suspicions were correct, the basket hanging from the crane did spin or was unstable while cutting and pushing the blocks over, but we just had to take our time. We had two guys in the basket. I would prefer a bolt-on man basket.

We were able to drop all the blocks on a bed of tires so no rigging was necessary.

As I said the tree was just too dangerous for me to put a climber in. No money in the world would be able to bring a climber back from death. I personally feel that it is not worth. Why should someone take that much risk because they did not want to cut the tree down right after it died. By the way, the RV park will probably sue the lot owner to recover fees associated with the removal. The lot owner refused to pay to have the tree removed. Whether others would do it.... I don't care, they don't work for me.

The two crane deal is noted but was not necessary.

The all terrain lift was a good idea but it would not work well in this situation due to some hazards (i.e. electrical, drainage issues, water hydrant). Plus the price to rent a 85-100' is about the same after delivery charges. I checked prices for both. I have used a 100' all-terrain lift in the past and it works well if you the conditions are right.

As to the question on why a crane would work and a bucket would not...well i got a 60'/65' Altec with about 49' feet of side reach at 44'. The power company tried to come in from the bottom side with the their bucket and could not get high enough in the tree. On the upper side, it is about 50' to the parking lot from the tree, so we could not get close enough.

Here are some pics of the tree. I forget to take the camera up in the crane.

Again, I appreciate your input....it helps to bounce the idea off of you guys.

He definatly made it sound more dangerous than it appears.I would still climb it and block it down but I would also bind thye tree with chain before I made each cut.

He definatly made it sound more dangerous than it appears.I would still climb it and block it down but I would also bind thye tree with chain before I made each cut.

If you're willing to climb that,then do you need a job?...Note:You must sign a waiver upon arrival on the first day.

timber.... yeah I would not recommend the man basket unless it is a last resource.

newguy....you are an accident waiting to happen...you must not care about your family or friends.

There is no way someone could have climbed that tree and rigged it out....especially without killing themselve or destroying property.

And it proved itslef out when we took the top 30' feet out of it.

I am sure you are a cocky man but you should know the difference and be respectful. You just do not get it. 50 years of combined experience made the call not to climb it and the guy who has 35 years of experience is the one who counted as he was climbing it. I would put his skills up against anyone in the business. He is good. And I care too much about him to risk it. Not worth it. Period.

What do you not get. You have to rig both forks out...so say 800pounds or so and you are willing to be in that tree when the 800 pound piece goes into the block you are not telling me there is a chance that tree could fail.

At any rate, we did it safely, without taking the risk of having the climber in the tree. The customer is more than satisfied and the bill was paid.

Last edited:
If you're willing to climb that,then do you need a job?...Note:You must sign a waiver upon arrival on the first day.

That all depends what are we talking an hour?Do I supply my own gear?Is it a problem that I am moving to california in march?Where are you located?

timber.... yeah I would not recommend the man basket unless it is a last resource.

newguy....you are an accident waiting to happen...you must not care about your family or friends.

There is no way someone could have climbed that tree and rigged it out....especially without killing themselve or destroying property.

And it proved itslef out when we took the top 30' feet out of it.

I am sure you are a cocky man but you should know the difference and be respectful. You just do not get it. 50 years of combined experience made the call not to climb it and the guy who has 35 years of experience is the one who counted as he was climbing it. I would put his skills up against anyone in the business. He is good. And I care too much about him to risk it. Not worth it. Period.

What do you not get. You have to rig both forks out...so say 800pounds or so and you are willing to be in that tree when the 800 pound piece goes into the block you are not telling me there is a chance that tree could fail.

At any rate, we did it safely, without taking the risk of having the climber in the tree. The customer is more than satisfied and the bill was paid.

I croth the line buddy.I don't use false crotch setups.I have looked into them though.

croth the line? really

so tell me what the load is on the natural crotch vs. false crotch

please don't tell my you eliminate it totally

furthermore, please explain how chaining the tree together is going to help matters. I was not worried about the tree splitting. You consider the ramifications of the extra stress of binding the tree will put on the tree and may make it more susceptical to actually breaking. Are you going to put a chain every six inches. And please tell me how you are going to climb up beyond the Y so that when you rig the top out it does not slam the roof sitting on the uphill side of the tree or the high voltage wires on the downhill side. guarantee you would not make out alive if you tried that.

how many trees have you rigged out in your career? there is no point in arguing with stupidity

o.k. yes YOU could have climbed the tree, i admit it. You must be smarter than ever one else.

Again...It was done in the safest way possible, according to my judgement and that is what counts. No undue risk was taken, the tree is safely down, the customer is happy and paid the bill what else can i say.

I croth the line buddy.I don't use false crotch setups.I have looked into them though.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about,I had a climber who worked for me once that did that once or twice...You're talking about ten times the abuse to your rope...To mention one hell of a shock load which would be dangerous enough on a live tree,but could be very well enough to tople a tree like this to the ground.

croth the line? really

so tell me what the load is on the natural crotch vs. false crotch

please don't tell my you eliminate it totally

furthermore, please explain how chaining the tree together is going to help matters. I was not worried about the tree splitting. You consider the ramifications of the extra stress of binding the tree will put on the tree and may make it more susceptical to actually breaking. Are you going to put a chain every six inches. And please tell me how you are going to climb up beyond the Y so that when you rig the top out it does not slam the roof sitting on the uphill side of the tree or the high voltage wires on the downhill side. guarantee you would not make out alive if you tried that.

how many trees have you rigged out in your career? there is no point in arguing with stupidity

o.k. yes YOU could have climbed the tree, i admit it. You must be smarter than ever one else.

Again...It was done in the safest way possible, according to my judgement and that is what counts. No undue risk was taken, the tree is safely down, the customer is happy and paid the bill what else can i say.

Ok yes binding does stress the tree but it prevents splitting.secondI would be way out in the last few feet of the fork blocking it out.The doubling effect would be mostly eliminated if I rigged it by crotching the line but you did it your way so thats that just saying how I do things.

Ok yes binding does stress the tree but it prevents splitting.secondI would be way out in the last few feet of the fork blocking it out.The doubling effect would be mostly eliminated if I rigged it by crotching the line but you did it your way so thats that just saying how I do things.

Who's "THE CHAMP" ?????

Ok...newguy...for the last time....you could not climb out to say 55' feet because you would fall with the limb to the ground.

As i said it proved itself out when we cut the tree....you could literally break the the last 20' feet off by hand

which brought me to my point about if you rigged/ropped or whatever the last 20 feet out it would fall apart and risk damaging the roof.

I am done trying to explain this situation to you.

More importantly go back to my original post...i did not ask whether anyone if they would climb it. I know there are plenty of cowboys out there that would climb it. And I made the decision it is not worth it. There is plenty of work out there and if I can't do it in a manner that I am comfortable with then i do not need or want to do it. I value my life and my family too much as well as my employees.

I already made the decision to get the crane...I was just asking if anyone had any experience with a man basket that hangs from the crane.

thanks again guys I am done with the topic

More importantly go back to my original post...i did not ask whether anyone if they would climb it. I know there are plenty of cowboys out there that would climb it. And I made the decision it is not worth it. There is plenty of work out there and if I can't do it in a manner that I am comfortable with then i do not need or want to do it. I value my life and my family too much as well as my employees.

I already made the decision to get the crane...I was just asking if anyone had any experience with a man basket that hangs from the crane.

thanks again guys I am done with the topic

Shoot, sorry i'm late to the topic-contracts out of town. Man baskets SUCK, as you've found out. Two cranes work good, one to tie into and one to lower with. Funny though, seems i mentioned this last year and it got poo-poo'ed. Must be a different crowd.

Newguy, i bow down to your obvious wisdom and years of experience in tree climbing.:bowdown: You are an inspiration to all us veterans who now know that if you are the guys who are going to be replacing us when we get older, we have nothing to fear. You'll all kill yourselves off! I think joesawyer said it well-i've worked with guys who started climbing before there was such a thing as a bucket truck. They will be the first to tell you that they are glad there are better and safer ways to do things. The only reason they did some of the things they did and took some of the risks they did was because there was no other way. There are usually other ways nowdays. And like ropen said, we've probably all climbed some trees that are as bad or worse, but most of us who have been around don't brag about it-we thank the lord, or our lucky stars, or whoever we believe in that we got away with it. Besides, what are you even doing in commercial? Do you do treework for a living? Have you even climbed 10 trees? Go back to the joke forum please.

Did anyone read his profile? 18 years old and (quote)"trying" to be an arborist. I can appreciate youth and vigor, but I learned everything I know be shutting up and listening to men who've been fighting these battles longer than I've been alive.

Teamtree: Nice work, way to use your head and not your ego

Latest posts

Back