Crank Mounting Tool & Seal Puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arto_wa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After having read how (some?) Stihl dealers refuse to sell Stihl OEM tools to the public, I went ahead and ordered Farmertec mounting tool and seal pullers on November 23rd and received them yesterday.

They look pretty good - fine thread finishing may look somewhat rough but after adding little lithium grease these seem to be perfectly usable, but probably not meant for someone using them every day to make a living.

The black Friday sale price helped alot to make a decision to order now.

Here is an earlier thread discussing OEM tools:

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...have-a-new-part-for-their-zs-tool-set.319086/

Yes I am aware these are not really necessary and some guys "fix" chainsaws with basic tools like a hammer, torch and couple of screwdrivers etc. but that's not for me.

After having read how (some?) Stihl dealers refuse to sell Stihl OEM tools to the public, I went ahead and ordered Farmertec mounting tool and seal pullers on November 23rd and received them yesterday.

They look pretty good - fine thread finishing may look somewhat rough but after adding little lithium grease these seem to be perfectly usable, but probably not meant for someone using them every day to make a living.

The black Friday sale price helped alot to make a decision to order now.

Here is an earlier thread discussing OEM tools:

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...have-a-new-part-for-their-zs-tool-set.319086/

Yes I am aware these are not really necessary and some guys "fix" chainsaws with basic tools like a hammer, torch and couple of screwdrivers etc. but that's not for me.
I brought the stihl OEM seal puller, there is no reason your dealer shouldn’t sell you OEM tools. They’ll make a nice profit too!

None the less I have used mine countless times and it’s wonderful! Enjoy yours, you’ll love using it!

When you say mounting tool, what do you mean? I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

edit to update: Crank puller! I’m with you :)

Warm regards, Tom

............zip..................

When you say mounting tool, what do you mean? I’m not sure what you’re referring to.

edit to update: Crank puller! I’m with you :)

Warm regards, Tom

Yeah, I suppose Crank Case Splitter / Crank Mounting Tool, Clutch Side would be a better name for it, but some Stihl literature just calls it "Mounting Tools"

In any case, I think I will call theirs overpriced but great quality!

Cheers :D

Attachments

• Crank Splitter5.jpg
    Crank Splitter5.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 20
The seal puller is something I’ve never found to be necessary personally. It’s easier to just use a punch and tap one side in, my puller just sits.

@Mattyo makes a great crank tool that works on nearly every make/model of saw at a reasonable price point.
I echo the matty-o crank tool comment. They’re great.

i have used motorcycle case splitter and crank puller on my saws. had to make an adapter for the left hand threads on 026 clutch side.

gotta remember, most of the versions of tools that are out there put lateral forces on the bearing when you are pulling the crank through

my tools pull using the inner race only, so there's no risk to the bearings :)
Matt I want the bearing puller washer combo you use! Sick and tired of using heat and changing the paint colour.

gotta remember, most of the versions of tools that are out there put lateral forces on the bearing when you are pulling the crank through

my tools pull using the inner race only, so there's no risk to the bearings :)

Yes I fully agree the Stihl style "Crank Case Splitter / Crank Mounting Tool" will put lateral force on bearings if used for assembling.
I have a tool similar to yours for assembly, and ordered the Stihl style one mainly for crankcase splitting job.

My saws have been assembled with a paper gasket and sealant so it will probably be a little tougher to separate them.

Gave it a go, it was good. Hey @Mattyo, any advice you have to share using this method? Do you just take it to the point where it’s firm? I guess there isn’t any harm in going a touch more to be sure the bearing is seated because it’s pressing against the case half (different story with an oiler as a stop though of course..

I tried the heat option just one more time, and I’m convinced the bolt method is easier. No matter what I do, very slow and distant heat, fast local heat, oven heat etc, it always bubbles the paint and yellows it before it reaches the lowest temp to install the bearings.

I’m now heat intolerant myself lolEE0BC401-2C09-4EFA-9DA9-0D180CACD369.jpeg

I tried the heat option just one more time, and I’m convinced the bolt method is easier. No matter what I do, very slow and distant heat, fast local heat, oven heat etc, it always bubbles the paint and yellows it before it reaches the lowest temp to install the bearings.
Have you tried chilling the bearings prior to installing?

Latest posts

Back