Crap - I've been corrupted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaberwky

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
My 290 is down for a few days for some repair, and the guy I get my log lengths from let me borrow his 460/20" bar for the weekend. I bought a new chain and got to work. After 5 minutes I was actully laughing out loud at how much it makes the 290 look stupid. I plowed through the medium logs (10-14") like they were toothpicks, and a couple of big 40" and larger monsters were no match whatsoever. I was so unused to the power that I kept getting pulled forward when the saw started into the cut.

It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.

gr8scott72

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
My 290 is down for a few days for some repair, and the guy I get my log lengths from let me borrow his 460/20" bar for the weekend. I bought a new chain and got to work. After 5 minutes I was actully laughing out loud at how much it makes the 290 look stupid. I plowed through the medium logs (10-14") like they were toothpicks, and a couple of big 40" and larger monsters were no match whatsoever. I was so unused to the power that I kept getting pulled forward when the saw started into the cut.

It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.

Don't ever pick up a 90cc saw. :greenchainsaw:

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
this site might start hurting 60cc sales.

seems theres alot of people lately seeing the light:greenchainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

kodiak98400

kodiak98400

It happened to me this spring. My brother was helping me cut up some wood, he has a 372xp and i have a 029 super. He let me cut with his saw for a while, I was so impressed with the difference i bought a new 372xpw. now the 029 sits.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.[/QUOTE]

The 460 is a PRO model chainsaw and is a country mile ahead of a paltry 290. If you ever get a chance to run a 137 cc saw then you will know what torque and power really is in a chainsaw.
Pioneerguy600

BryanSchamber

BryanSchamber

ArboristSite Operative
I had a similar situation. Bought a 361 last year and muff modded it. My brother 's 290 took a crap and he borrowed it to get some stuff taken care as he promised a farmer. Needless to say he is the proud owner of a new 362. I have never run anything bigger than my 361 so I dont know the feeling.

nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
don't ever pick up a 7900.....there is nothing else like it for weight and power. i was running my 262 yesterday bucking a bunch of 10-18" oak that has been down since last winter. i was almost done when the 262 threw the chain and i grabbed the 7900 to finish. now while the 262 is a fine saw, it is not even close in power to the 7900. i couldn't believe how it kept grabbing the saw and trying to jerk it into the log. maybe the 262 is due a porting.

ak4195

ak4195

ArboristSite Operative
Yesterday i finished a working on a raised crib made from peeled spruce poles,it should hold 4+ cords.Trimmed up the ends of the deck logs some,a job easily suited to the 026 that Ive been using since I started.
For grins thought Id pull out the 372,ignored and very cold (-10 to 8+).
Now Im going to have to find something for the Ole Gal to do,such a sweet machine...

ak4195

scotvl

scotvl

ArboristSite Operative
would you guys that run big saws include a dolmar 6400 or makita 6401 in the big saw catagory since it makes close to 5hp? I have and love my 55 but am looking for an affordable big brother for it, with the option to upgrade it later.

TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57

Addicted to ArboristSite
would you guys that run big saws include a dolmar 6400 or makita 6401 in the big saw catagory since it makes close to 5hp? I have and love my 55 but am looking for an affordable big brother for it, with the option to upgrade it later.

No.. 5hp would fit into the mid-range saw area. Considering the pro saws typically run somewhere between maybe 3 hp up to maybe the 9ish area.

Latest posts