Crap - I've been corrupted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaberwky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 290 is down for a few days for some repair, and the guy I get my log lengths from let me borrow his 460/20" bar for the weekend. I bought a new chain and got to work. After 5 minutes I was actully laughing out loud at how much it makes the 290 look stupid. I plowed through the medium logs (10-14") like they were toothpicks, and a couple of big 40" and larger monsters were no match whatsoever. I was so unused to the power that I kept getting pulled forward when the saw started into the cut.

It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.

My 290 is down for a few days for some repair, and the guy I get my log lengths from let me borrow his 460/20" bar for the weekend. I bought a new chain and got to work. After 5 minutes I was actully laughing out loud at how much it makes the 290 look stupid. I plowed through the medium logs (10-14") like they were toothpicks, and a couple of big 40" and larger monsters were no match whatsoever. I was so unused to the power that I kept getting pulled forward when the saw started into the cut.

It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.

Don't ever pick up a 90cc saw. :greenchainsaw:

A matter of words

Not corrupted, enlightened. Welcome to the club. More CC's is a wonderful thing to get addicted to.

Olyeller

this site might start hurting 60cc sales.

seems theres alot of people lately seeing the light:greenchainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

It happened to me this spring. My brother was helping me cut up some wood, he has a 372xp and i have a 029 super. He let me cut with his saw for a while, I was so impressed with the difference i bought a new 372xpw. now the 029 sits.

It is insane - I had no idea what a real saw felt like. There is no way I'm going to be able to go back to the 290 now.[/QUOTE]

The 460 is a PRO model chainsaw and is a country mile ahead of a paltry 290. If you ever get a chance to run a 137 cc saw then you will know what torque and power really is in a chainsaw.
Pioneerguy600

I felt the same way when I went from cutting with my PP330 for a few days and then went to my my modded 066.

I had a similar situation. Bought a 361 last year and muff modded it. My brother 's 290 took a crap and he borrowed it to get some stuff taken care as he promised a farmer. Needless to say he is the proud owner of a new 362. I have never run anything bigger than my 361 so I dont know the feeling.

don't ever pick up a 7900.....there is nothing else like it for weight and power. i was running my 262 yesterday bucking a bunch of 10-18" oak that has been down since last winter. i was almost done when the 262 threw the chain and i grabbed the 7900 to finish. now while the 262 is a fine saw, it is not even close in power to the 7900. i couldn't believe how it kept grabbing the saw and trying to jerk it into the log. maybe the 262 is due a porting.

Yesterday i finished a working on a raised crib made from peeled spruce poles,it should hold 4+ cords.Trimmed up the ends of the deck logs some,a job easily suited to the 026 that Ive been using since I started.
For grins thought Id pull out the 372,ignored and very cold (-10 to 8+).
Now Im going to have to find something for the Ole Gal to do,such a sweet machine...

ak4195

would you guys that run big saws include a dolmar 6400 or makita 6401 in the big saw catagory since it makes close to 5hp? I have and love my 55 but am looking for an affordable big brother for it, with the option to upgrade it later.

No. :)

I'd say they were on the bottom side of the mid-sized saws. Have to get to the 80+ cc mark to start calling them big IMHO.

Scott

would you guys that run big saws include a dolmar 6400 or makita 6401 in the big saw catagory since it makes close to 5hp? I have and love my 55 but am looking for an affordable big brother for it, with the option to upgrade it later.

No.. 5hp would fit into the mid-range saw area. Considering the pro saws typically run somewhere between maybe 3 hp up to maybe the 9ish area.

Back