Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First..I am right about that cylinder being an "anomoly" ..Right? You must have seen more than a few..bet you haven't seen one that nasty yet..have you?

I got no clue how that thing wound up on a saw and no one else does either. If you go back earlier in the thread I did mention a Mahle that had a major flaw in it, I refused to use it. Brads cylinder for the 22nd time was crappy but unfit for use, will it perform its purpose, no one knows.

LOL, Woodie show me you got a set, man up, did it say 1.6HP or 1.6cu.in, come on let me hear it. Come on, let me hear you say what it really said, come on, just say what it said, easy to type, repeat after me, 1.6cu.in, not 1.6HP like you was blow harding about as usual,LOLOL

http://products.howstuffworks.com/kawasaki-kgt27a-gas-string-trimmer-review.htm

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsKawiTurf.htm

http://www.russopowerequip.com/sales-detail.asp?VehicleID=25471

What does this have to do with that cylinder?

Alot. It proves Woodie doesn't have any gonads. He blows hard but when he is proven wrong he refuses to admit it. He only shows up on Stihl threads to pile on. When Cuttinscott dings J-red with a volley Woodie is the first one to holler your just bashing, gets bent outta shape because thats his brand, other words he can dish it but he can't take it so he just won't answer when you nail him like I did over a cu in verses a hp.

Come on Woodie I'm waiting???

Last edited:
What does 98% of these posts have to do with anything?

The main points to those who are trying to learn from these posts..and this one in particular:

1)A "Pro level" Stihl saw was found with a lousy cylinder ...an anomoly probably.

2) Lots of "typical "brand bashing' nonsense commences.

3) Some Stihl types expand the issue by taking the approach that the cylinder was servicable and if you had not taken it apart, your would have never known! (If a tree falls in a forest,,,and no one is around to hear it..was there a sound?)

4) Attempt to bring it back to the base issue...lousy cylinder..is this the new norm? Are answered with BS and attempts to discredit the subject ie. make it go away or dilute it to the point of nonsence..BUT the fact still remains and very little insight has been offered as to weather or not that cylinder is the norm on the typical $500 dollar Stihl Saw.

What insight do YOU bring to the discussion? Is this the typical cylinder casting for a Stihl? Would YOU (if you were a dealer and ran into this cylinder attempt to replace it?)

Is this typical? Is this the new norm for Stihl's?
Have they ALWAYS been this way? Or is this..as I suspect until proven wrong, simply an anomaly.

One BIG message coming thru to potential buyers IS how a few particular dealers view situations such as this...

THALL could convince me its either an anomoly or the typical Cylinder...so how about it. Which is this? The new Stihl quality standard? or a QA problem/anomoly?

Focus, Gilligan.

When are you going to learn nothing comes after 'dismissed'?

Out of your 4674 posts, I have yet to see one worthy of the word dismissed as it's last. I do like to see us use you to mop the floor with, your chicken legs are like the wooden handle and your hippie hair is like a new mop head, grabbing all the poo off the bathroom floor. No wonder crap comes out of your mouth, your face is in it all day, LOLOLOL.

Alot. It proves Woodie doesn't have any gonads. He blows hard but when he is proven wrong he refuses to admit it. He only shows up on Stihl threads to pile on. When Cuttinscott dings J-red with a volley Woodie is the first one to holler your just bashing, gets bent outta shape because thats his brand, other word he can dish it but he can't take it so he just won't answer when you nail him like I did over a cu in verses a hp.

I am a lot more interesting in the manufacturing standards..and I don't care about the brand. I watched many a company out source to their death and would hate to see it happen to either Stihl or Husqvarna..the only two quality BIG Bore saws builders left. It would be a shame..so please tell me it isn't so!

Every good western has some kind of bar fight scene, but the fight always ends and then we get back to the story. This is like a movie where the bar fight goes on until the end of the flick, and then when the lights come on, nobody knew what the movie was about.

Instead of being clearer, the longer this thread goes on, the more things become confusing.

The cylinder is a Stihl not a Mahle, and was made in Brazil, and Stihl uses these cylinders when they run out of Mahles, but Mahle has a plant in Brazil, and Mahle might have made the cylinder, but if they did they didn't stamp Mahle on it, but stamped Stihl on it, and because Mahle might have made the cylinder that started all of this, then the cylinder in my 372 that says Mahle on it might have come from Brazil, or even China, and might also be a piece of junk, but as long as it runs, it doesn't matter because as long as the OEM put it in the saw, it is considered to be an OEM part regardless of what country it came from or what level of quality the starving peasents in that particular factory are capable of achieving, and nobody should throw stones at any of these tainted cylinders of dubious origin, because all of these companies have plants in China and Brazil and if nobody knows for sure whether or not Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings produced any offspring, how important is it to know who produced this cylinder.

Have I got that right?

Mahle has been a supplier to the motorcycle world forever. They have always made a better forged "OEM" pistons than the typical "cast & machined" home grown variety. The reason motorcycle builder typically go to Mahle is their Forgeing and Casting technology..they know how to build a quality part and have for years. I really doubt that Cylinder was a Mahle product. Mahle has typically been proud of their stuff and label it so you know who built it.

Every good western has some kind of bar fight scene, but the fight always ends and then we get back to the story. This is like a movie where the bar fight goes on until the end of the flick, and then when the lights come on, nobody knew what the movie was about.

Instead of being clearer, the longer this thread goes on, the more things become confusing.

The cylinder is a Stihl not a Mahle, and was made in Brazil, and Stihl uses these cylinders when they run out of Mahles, but Mahle has a plant in Brazil, and Mahle might have made the cylinder, but if they did they didn't stamp Mahle on it, but stamped Stihl on it, and because Mahle might have made the cylinder that started all of this, then the cylinder in my 372 that says Mahle on it might have come from Brazil, or even China, and might also be a piece of junk, but as long as it runs, it doesn't matter because as long as the OEM put it in the saw, it is considered to be an OEM part regardless of what country it came from or what level of quality the starving peasents in that particular factory are capable of achieving, and nobody should throw stones at any of these tainted cylinders of dubious origin, because all of these companies have plants in China and Brazil and if nobody knows for sure whether or not Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings produced any offspring, how important is it to know who produced this cylinder.

Have I got that right?

Wow, is that really one sentence?

Well done!:clap:

I am a lot more interesting in the manufacturing standards..and I don't care about the brand. I watched many a company out source to their death and would hate to see it happen to either Stihl or Husqvarna..the only two quality BIG Bore saws builders left. It would be a shame..so please tell me it isn't so!

Weimedog its like this. Times are hard. Companies are folding up like carzy. Look at GM. I'm sure they are looking at a bleak economy like everyone else. They use parts from all over the world including Mahle, as does all saw makers. Mahle has gone to China, the big no no. If you go to the Husky website right now and look you will see they're operating capital is down 35%They're sales are down 9.% after a horrible 4th quarter in 2008. I'm sure Stihl sales are down as well compared to last year. That cylinder is a product of hard times by who, Mahle, Stihl, who knows. The naysayers are all asumming Stihl is going by the way side because a hand full of "usable" cylinders don't meet their visual standards, thats what this whole thread is all about, look at the title. Most just found out Mahle is now in China, oh my will they be able to sleep now, I will with ease. I wish they had been with me yesterday running my azz off selling Stihl. I could have used some help..

Alot. It proves Woodie doesn't have any gonads. He blows hard but when he is proven wrong he refuses to admit it. He only shows up on Stihl threads to pile on. When Cuttinscott dings J-red with a volley Woodie is the first one to holler your just bashing, gets bent outta shape because thats his brand, other words he can dish it but he can't take it so he just won't answer when you nail him like I did over a cu in verses a hp.

http://www.heinold-feller.com/residential-YardTools.htm

http://www.recworldlv.com/trimmer.htm

http://www.iwantagenerator.com/p_kawasaki_turf.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1076768&postcount=11

What insight do YOU bring to the discussion? Is this the typical cylinder casting for a Stihl? Would YOU (if you were a dealer and ran into this cylinder attempt to replace it?)

Is this typical? Is this the new norm for Stihl's?
Have they ALWAYS been this way? Or is this..as I suspect until proven wrong, simply an anomaly.

One BIG message coming thru to potential buyers IS how a few particular dealers view situations such as this...

THALL could convince me its either an anomoly or the typical Cylinder...so how about it. Which is this? The new Stihl quality standard? or a QA problem/anomoly?

Well the insight I bring is many in this thread are here to bash, fine with me, I can hang. I have not seen as many cylinders as some of these fellers but the ones I have seen are good. I got 2 peices of OPE made in 2008, a 211 and FS100RX. These bad boys run and they run great. Will I pull their jugs and take a look? Nope, no reason to. If they seize or their perfromance goes down due to a poor cast, I'll take it up with Stihl.

If I were a dealer and someone like a good customer brought me this cylinder off the saw and said, "Look at those ports and that chip". I'd call Stihl about the chip because it might be a issue down the road and let them make the call. If this feller was a d-bag, I'd tell him to put it back on the saw and come back when it's quits. Then say your warranty is out due to me not knowing if it came apart right or went back together right either. Then sell him another saw, LOLOL.

As far as if this is a QC with Stihl, I don't know. If this is their parts for future saws, I might consider looking at other brands if this causes failure and poor performance.

Have I got that right?

LOLOL, sumthing like that Spike. You made the warning way back in this thread, I commend you. Chicom seems to be the big dirty word, looks like everyone has some dirt in the kitchen floor now, even Mahle.

Spike that 346 , what plant did my cylinder come out of,LOLOLOLOL

Out of your 4674 posts, I have yet to see one worthy of the word dismissed as it's last. I do like to see us use you to mop the floor with, your chicken legs are like the wooden handle and your hippie hair is like a new mop head, grabbing all the poo off the bathroom floor. No wonder crap comes out of your mouth, your face is in it all day, LOLOLOL.

Pottymouth.

Have I got that right?

yep....but you left out the implied threat of legal action....there was that line of crap too.

SO: My conclusions:

1) The cylinder was a bad casting that found its way thru QA to a saw and was sold to a customer who wasn't pleased with how that saw ran..sent it to a "HOP UP" artist (A true Technician) who found this lousy casting. A defective part. An anomoly.

So I want to know:

1) As a result of the responses, I want to know if this is what we are to expect when placing $500 dollars of hard earned bucks into the hands of a Stihl dealer?
2) Will Stihl dealers see this as a bad cylinder and go thru the warrentee process? Or will they attempt to baffle the customer with BS, attempt to change the subject, attempt to threaten a "technician" for finding this cylinder, and attempt finally to rationallize why this porous and improperly finished cylinder is OK.

I want to know:

So Thall...your the best bet for an honest answer. Shoot.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with that cylinder?

Tommie is trying, for the 50th time, to change the subject of this thread from Stihl's ethics and quality control to anything that will get him off the hotseat for rubbing people's noses in stihl's supposed quality.

It is not, however, working. People are seeing through it, and most are questioning why he continues to defend stihl's quality and stihl's business practices, which more and more are being found to be substandard.

LOLOL, sumthing like that Spike. You made the warning way back in this thread, I commend you. Chicom seems to be the big dirty word, looks like everyone has some dirt in the kitchen floor now, even Mahle.

Spike that 346 , what plant did my cylinder come out of,LOLOLOLOL

The difference being, however, that no one seems able to produce a lower-quality cylinder from a comparable (read: pro-grade) saw of any other manufacturer.

And the cylinder in question does not even appear to be a Mahle.

Back