Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not argue with you on that one. Except they should still be made by the company that made the good ones. But unfortunatly that's the way companys are going.

In a perfect world even poulans would have Mahle cylinders. I think Stihl dropped the ball on this one thats all. Stihl claims to be the best, I imagine people will hold them to a higher standard.

Yup and now the song is cued were not gonna take it,no we ain't gonna take it I avoid all china stuff now. I bought a John Deere generator used it twice motor blown they are not wanting to cover the warranty and I don't like it but in fairness the crankcase was low on oil.
That is why they said it should have been full I looked the tech into his eyes deep and said yes it should and added new motors should not use oil. I will never buy anything and I mean anything ever again with briggs and crapon label. I asked him if I could put a honda in place
and he said no, so I may have just got screwed for 1700.00 but I may take the head and try retrofitting it to work off my tractors pto. The new b&s are pure garbage imo my honda is full used it many hours splitting wood but the b&s better check it every hour of use.

I got a Deere mower with a kawasaki motor on it, good motor. I agree briggs sux anymore.

Yup and now the song is cued were not gonna take it,no we ain't gonna take it I avoid all china stuff now. I bought a John Deere generator used it twice motor blown they are not wanting to cover the warranty and I don't like it but in fairness the crankcase was low on oil.
That is why they said it should have been full I looked the tech into his eyes deep and said yes it should and added new motors should not use oil. I will never buy anything and I mean anything ever again with briggs and crapon label. I asked him if I could put a honda in place
and he said no, so I may have just got screwed for 1700.00 but I may take the head and try retrofitting it to work off my tractors pto. The new b&s are pure garbage imo my honda is full used it many hours splitting wood but the b&s better check it every hour of use.
Rope, If they was the one that filled the generator with oil when you bought it, they should be liable.

Chip and pro saws don't mix tater tot :hmm3grin2orange:

Neither does reality and truth, to a few die hard Steel heads. :bang:

A man's got to eat to put in a good days work, don't he:greenchainsaw:

Don't forget drink!....May have to boycott a few breweries for making them Lite (homeowner) beers. :givebeer:

So did we force Mr. Hall into retirement?

I assume his paycheck is driven off the quantity of work (sales & service) he does in a day. Others on here posting messages while working, probably get paid the same, no matter how much work they accomplish during the day.

Well, for one I can't blame him. Everyone has its own limits at to the BS one can take. I don't agree with his point of view on this matter, but some posts adressed to him were below the belt...

The Champ gives back a plenty of shots himself....We're all big boys here....Except maybe me. :cry:

Hey Belgian, what is a good Belgian beer? Budweiser? Just joking... seriously is there a good Belgian IPA that I can get here in the States?

If we remove all the personal attacks and heresay what credible information is left in this thread?

Prolly none! it's the nonsense that keeps it interesting. Even still I learn something new every time I log on to AS. You guys are great! thanks for puttin up with my crap.:clap:

Well, for one I can't blame him. Everyone has its own limits at to the BS one can take. I don't agree with his point of view on this matter, but some posts adressed to him were below the belt...

I think he'll survive.

Parris I did get real for a second, shocked you, look at your posts since you said that.
Nutless. Go to Kawi, the maker, what a puss,LOLOLOL
Alot. It proves Woodie doesn't have any gonads.
LOL, Woodie show me you got a set, man up, did it say 1.6HP or 1.6cu.in, come on let me hear it.
If Stihl Inc was to read this thread they would have grounds to sue Brad, no joke they do.
Goober give it up.
I'll tell ya one thing, if I was the author of this thread I would go crawl under a rock for few days, those that piled on, remember all BS comes full circle sooner or later.
Dear Woodie you prove my point 100%, you have nothing to offer, completely clueless except to come in and have fun, I'm game and now lets let the fun begin, lets see how much you can take, hows work Woodie? Do you wish you had been working at Stihl instead of Ford, lets see how much that gut of yours can take now ole boy and don't get mad because I'm having my fun just like you
Well Brad can you explain why the one I removed isn't bent and there is no hole in the piston. Did my assembly have better quality than yours or did I know what I was doing and you didn't. Lets cut to the chase here and stop with your non-sense about that assembly. If you didn't know how to take it apart correctly ya shoulda found out how before ruining it. To be honest it almost looks like it was done on purpose but I won't assume for I don't know.
Its already stopped Joat. The huge fan club is now scratching thier heads wondering man that guy can't remove a piston and he's a authority on quality, hmmmmmmmmmm, what the hell did we fall for.
Well Brad I'm sorry you posted those. Now we can stettle the score about Stihl and you. Seems your hell bent to find anything you can and stick it up here. Well this time you stuck up something that proves you don't know what the hell your doing. So lets talk about this rod and piston and you tell me why it doesn't look like yours, I took them out, big differance isn't it but I do it for a living, not a hobby.

IMHO opinion this post boils down to the following:

1. The cylinder is/was a pos and should have been called out as concerning.

2. The manner in which it was called out was over the top and is borderline libelous and defamatory.

3. It looks like saw mfgs cylinder source is cutting corners by mfg to a sub standard spec, proven in Stihl, potentially could be happening in Husky as they use the same source.

4.AS has become a marketing/advertising tool for saw modders that charge 200-300 to mod saws to some level of higher performance.

5. There will always be a disagreement with some on who builds the best saw, Husky or Stihl? Most members probably could careless, they run what they can get the best deal on and get good local support.

6. There should be a concern on quality of all saws regardless of brand as long as they have shrinking margins due to legal issues, epa issues, other governmental compliance issues, and increased marketing and distribution cost.

7. There is a group on AS that enjoys roasting THall, as when your at the top you drawn more fire, just like Wally World, John Deere, Exon, etc.
Some like the fun, some are jealous of what Stihl has done over the years,
Husky could be in that position in 15-20 years or sooner.

8. Saw Modders words are the gospel to a majority.

9. Chain saw mfgs. don't think much of the site.

10. Stihl should take a look at their mfg. process and make sure this doesn't continue as a trend IF IT DOES EFFECT PERFORMANCE OR LONGEVITY OR DURABILITY OR THE SAW. That issue hasn't been proven, yes it looks like hell and I wouldn't want it on a new saw purchase, but do know MY dealer would take care of a warranty claim or failure due to the cylinder or piston if it looked like that.

11. Emotions have run high on this issue some times over the personal edge.

12. Will it likely solve the issue, doubt it, I seriously think Stihl could care less if Brad supports the brand, I imagine they hope he will start supporting another. It's the same attitude most large companies have just not Stihl.

The only question/issue I really would like to know with 100% honesty was the post used to just call out Stihl or was there some, if just a little chest beating going on to draw attention to oneself to lend credibility to the status of a "saw builder" for self credibility gains, puffing the ego a little---not that there is anything wrong with it, if we are all honest we all do it to some degree concerning some facet of our life.

It would be a same if anyone left the site over this post, but I wonder if Lakeside was tired of the same old B.S. brand bashing brand, guys getting two-three hundred dollars a saw to work on them for a two or three hours while they make peanuts in comparison, having to stand behind their work and deal with the public while prohibited from modding because it's against the law and more importantly losing their franchise if it become known they are doing it at corporate.

I hope all brands don't go down this road, hope Stihl takes notice, but as I said before, I think we have seen the golden age of chain saws, I for one think my old saws, even though heavier/ little slower cutting are built a lot better than even my two year 361. I think the die is cast and we'll see it get worse before it gets better. The alternative, consumers accept higher prices for quality, most won't, as an old guy I damn sure will, it's a tool an investment that I want to hand down to my kids.

Enough digression.

BlackCatBone;1538997I'm not commenting on using a rope vs. a stop said:
I agree.

If you use a rope you're putting the piston farther toward the center of the stroke. The center of the stroke is where the piston travels the fastest through the entire stroke. If you were trying to loosen the crankshaft nut while the piston was at mid-stroke you would be applying less torque than you would if the piston was almost all the way at the top of the stroke. It seems that it would be less likely to buckle at that point rather than using a piston stop

7. There is a group on AS that enjoys roasting THall, as when your at the top you drawn more fire, just like Wally World, John Deere, Exon, etc.

So let's be easy on THall for spewing a fountain of manure, but as for Brad:

2. The manner in which it was called out was over the top and is borderline libelous and defamatory.

4.AS has become a marketing/advertising tool for saw modders that charge 200-300 to mod saws to some level of higher performance.

8. Saw Modders words are the gospel to a majority.

12. Will it likely solve the issue, doubt it, I seriously think Stihl could care less if Brad supports the brand, I imagine they hope he will start supporting another. It's the same attitude most large companies have just not Stihl.

The only question/issue I really would like to know with 100% honesty was the post used to just call out Stihl or was there some, if just a little chest beating going on to draw attention to oneself to lend credibility to the status of a "saw builder" for self credibility gains, puffing the ego a little---not that there is anything wrong with it, if we are all honest we all do it to some degree concerning some facet of our life.

Brad did nothing more than point out some obvious flaws (that obviously will affect reliability...saying the saw has to run first is a dodge, and contrary to common sense and EVERYTHING I've read on doing cylinder work), and express his disappointment.

Libelous? Slanderous? Give me a break...the post came with pictures. Was his description inaccurate? Not hardly.

So...you have no problems slinging judgments at individuals, but if someone points out problems with a company's product they are guilty of "chest beating"?

You either have unhealthy issues with saw modders in general, or Brad in particular...or you have a man-crush on THall. But lets not blow things out of proportion by accusing others of blowing things out of proportion.

Back