Crappy Stihl Cylinder - Looks like ChiCom Garbage!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever! You sound just like the rest of the guys on the other site. Ignore the facts and attack the person:spam::deadhorse: Besides, it doesn't take a god or an expert to see the problems with this cylinder. I really think you're better than that, Andrew. Don't disappoint me.

And like I said, I won't own a Stihl homeowner saw, and I don't have any "Stihl" cylinders on any of my saws either.

Crap happens-I'm just glad someone posted a picture of that STIHL JUNK. Quality issues happen at every manufacturing facility. When you pay considerably more for a Stihl-that is what makes this unacceptable.

Are you done buying any stihl equipment? That is the only way you can not be an enabler........

Here's another argument that has been repeatedly used, and makes no sense whatsoever.

The same people that claim that this cylinder is an anomaly suggest that if Brad doesn't like that cylinder, he should never have anything to do with another Stihl product.

My guess is that if this crap becomes the trend, you won't have to encourage Brad or anyone else not to buy Stihl, but if it isn't a trend, then Brad (and others) will continue to buy products that demonstrate quality.

Your analysis is not only seriously flawed, but I think meant to be an insult to Brad (correct me if I'm wrong).

Brad has never said all Stihl cylinders suck. Not once. You've 'given him a position' and now asked him to defend a position he's never taken.

Not fair, and very easy to see through.

Fair enough. I have read this entire thread. First it was reported that the 260 cylinder was ChiCom garbage, that is close enough to junk....

Then it was reported that 3 other people had seen quality lapses in the 460 and 660. So it is not an anomaly when their is more than 1 saw with bad quality.

I like Brad and love to see his builds and restorations, but I am not gonna hold back what I think on a subject. I have backed Brad before and he knows it.

Here's another argument that has been repeatedly used, and makes no sense whatsoever.

The same people that claim that this cylinder is an anomaly suggest that if Brad doesn't like that cylinder, he should never have anything to do with another Stihl product.

My guess is that if this crap becomes the trend, you won't have to encourage Brad or anyone else not to buy Stihl, but if it isn't a trend, then Brad (and others) will continue to buy products that demonstrate quality.

I never said it was an anomaly. I have known about this for a while. This topic was posted about months ago by Timberwolf. It was even linked in this thread.

Brad said that anyone that accepts this cylinder is an enabler. You can't say that stuff and not follow through.

Brad said that anyone that accepts this cylinder is an enabler. You can't say that stuff and not follow through.

"this cylinder" does not equal "all Stihl equipment", no matter how bad your algebra is.

Are you done buying any stihl equipment? That is the only way you can not be an enabler........

Lastly, since you wouldn't work on this cylinder because it is junk; are you done modding newer Stihl saws? You have backed yourself into a corner. Since you couldn't mod this cylinder because the quality is bad, how are you gonna be able to mod any newer stihl saws? Seems all of them are effected by this quality lapse.

Get real....I think he has made it perfectly clear what Stihls he will own and which ones he won't..... Because you don't like the fact he called Stihl out on crappy jugs stamped with their name and their cheesy homeowner saws, being inferior to the competition, he's suppose to quit buying all Stihl equipment and modding all saws....All this under your "no leeway analysis" of Brad's opinion? :buttkick:

Ya know has anyone pointed out the fact that the people defending Stihl are "probably" involved with the Steal corp and their kiss azz dealer network? I'm just glad that the pictures were posted for all to see. For chrysts sake! this is the internet we can say what we want!!! If ya don't like it go home! cake eaters!!!

Good post.

Is that cylinder a disgrace to the quality stihl usually produces? Yup, no doubt. Was this blown out of proportion? Absolutely. People started accusing anything and everything without facts. Those people may be correct in their assumptions, but they shouldn't be beating their chest liek they are some God when it comes to quality without having facts or expertise to prove it. We still don't even know who made it and how bad it ran. The original owner thought it was slow, but it is slow compared to other 50cc saws. If he had tried other 026's/260's, then he has a base for an arguement.

Like you said Dan, if people want to make sure this never happens again, they need to call stihl and protest in the form of not buying any stihl products.

You are also right about how other companies can be doing this too. Spike mentioned this also. Everyone should be on there toes when putting down money for anything.

I am gonna agree that quote was a little over the top.....I just feel people jumped to conclusions to quick.

I like Brad and love to see his builds and restorations, but I am not gonna hold back what I think on a subject. I have backed Brad before and he knows it.
That's cool and I appreciate it. The feelings mutual. That's why I said what I did.

I stand by that comment, and here's what I mean. To find this cylinder on a brand new pro Stihl saw and just accept it as a fact of life, something that has to be lived with for whatever reason, is to simply Stihl to continue doing business as usual. This is especially true of dealers that come on here and defend this cylinder. Is little ole me really going to make an impact on Stihl? Of course not! But if more of the world held them to a higher standard, it would matter. A majority is made up of individuals. Brilliant ehh:)

I am gonna agree that quote was a little over the top.....I just feel people jumped to conclusions to quick.

Yes, I came down hard in my inital post. That was no accident. I wanted this to get some attention. Had this been the first cylinder we had seen like this, no way would I have been so inflammatory. But it's not. It is Stihl that holds the coveted postion of being #1 in the world and makes sure you and I know it. The aftermarket catches tons of flack on this forum, much of it deserved. But it's the OEM Stihl product that has always been held up as the golden standard. Is this representative of your golden standard?

Easy Brad, the piston stop is a certain thickness, your rope is not, it flattens under pressure, the piston stop does not. With the piston stop the rod, piston and crank are standing striaght up at its strongest point. You would have to mash the rod instead of bending to make it fail. With the rope you can't be certain exactly what position the crank, rod and piston are due to the rope flattening out. Take a piece of metal and put it on a angle and apply force it will bend. Take that same piece of metal and stand it striaght up and try to mash it striaght down, almost impossible.QUOTE]

I'm not commenting on using a rope vs. a stop, but this explanation is total fiction. A connecting rod is a two force body in the linkage. It is connected by pins that don't allow the rod to be torqued, and only transmit a force along the length of the rod. It failed by buckling.

Last edited:
Get real....I think he has made it perfectly clear what Stihls he will own and which ones he won't..... Because you don't like the fact he called Stihl out on crappy jugs stamped with their name and their cheesy homeowner saws, being inferior to the competition, he's suppose to quit buying all Stihl equipment and modding all saws....All this under your "no leeway analysis" of Brad's opinion? :buttkick:

I have no problem with him calling them out!!! I like it and feel it is needed. What I have a problem with is how he did it and how people jumped to conclusions. Go read Brian thread on the 460 and 660. I comment on that thread too.

Easy Brad, the piston stop is a certain thickness, your rope is not, it flattens under pressure, the piston stop does not. With the piston stop the rod, piston and crank are standing striaght up at its strongest point. You would have to mash the rod instead of bending to make it fail. With the rope you can't be certain exactly what position the crank, rod and piston are due to the rope flattening out. Take a piece of metal and put it on a angle and apply force it will bend. Take that same piece of metal and stand it striaght up and try to mash it striaght down, almost impossible.QUOTE]

Sounds like BS they teach the parts changers at Steal school. I've been using rope for 20 years!

Sup fellas, yeah ported out the exhaust port on that 038magII jug yesterday when I had some spare time. I couldn't quite get it shaped out in the back but I polished it purty darn good.

I was thinkin about lowering the intake quite a bit to match it up with a 044 intake boot I have to swap, what do you fellas think about swapin it for better porting?

That's cool and I appreciate it. The feelings mutual. That's why I said what I did.

I stand by that comment, and here's what I mean. To find this cylinder on a brand new pro Stihl saw and just accept it as a fact of life, something that has to be lived with for whatever reason, is to simply Stihl to continue doing business as usual. This is especially true of dealers that come on here and defend this cylinder. Is little ole me really going to make an impact on Stihl? Of course not! But if more of the world held them to a higher standard, it would matter. A majority is made up of individuals. Brilliant ehh:)

Yes, I came down hard in my inital post. That was no accident. I wanted this to get some attention. Had this been the first cylinder we had seen like this, no way would I have been so inflammatory. But it's not. It is Stihl that holds the coveted postion of being #1 in the world and makes sure you and I know it. The aftermarket catches tons of flack on this forum, much of it deserved. But it's the OEM Stihl product that has always been held up as the golden standard. Is this representative of your golden standard?
]

Alright, I hear your stance Brad on the stihl equipment. But to say it is ok to buy some stihl equipment and not others isn't gonna make stihl do anything about changing quality. Like you said, a majority is needed and to accomplish that, all stihl equipment must be passed on IMO.

Like I have said in this thread many times and also in Brian's thread, that is not a traditional Stihl standard. How do we get them to change back to the good ole days? Stop buying their stuff.

Like I have said in this thread many times and also in Brian's thread, that is not a traditional Stihl standard. How do we get them to change back to the good ole days? Stop buying their stuff.

If that's the solution, then I guess I'm a hypocrite:) I like my Stihl saws too much to pass them on. I only wish Stihl enough discomfort to make them get back to a higher standard.

I personally don't see it that way though. If everyone suddenly stopped buying Stihl homeowner saws, Stihl wouldn't drop the brand, they'd replace those models. But if all the pro saws start wearing these inferior cylinder, then I guess you are right.:(

Stop buying the crap and keep buying the good stuff. That'll send a clearer message.

That is the problem, it has been proven that more than the 260 is infected with this lower quality. Read Timberwolf's 460, 660 thread. Nothing can be completely trusted, and that should go for all companies because anything is possible these days.

If that's the solution, then I guess I'm a hypocrite:) I like my Stihl saws too much to pass them on. I only wish Stihl enough discomfort to make them get back to a higher standard.

I personally don't see it that way though. If everyone suddenly stopped buying Stihl homeowner saws, Stihl wouldn't drop the brand, they'd replace those models. But if all the pro saws start wearing these inferior cylinder, then I guess you are right.:(

]Like I have said in this thread many times and also in Brian's thread, that is not a traditional Stihl standard. How do we get them to change back to the good ole days? Stop buying their stuff.

Stop buying the crap and keep buying the good stuff. That'll send a clearer message.

Am I allowed to argue against myself?:)

I will no longer own a Stihl home owner saw because of the inferior construction. But if Stihl does continue to put the inferior cylinders on their pro saws, that leaves me with no other option than to do the same with them. I don't like that! My favorite saws are Stihls. That's one reason I wrote this thread. I want to see it stopped.

I have only recently begun owning and modding Husky saws. I've been impressed. My Stihls may be a little faster, but the quality is definately there, as it has been with Stihl up until now. My point? There are options, and I will exercise those options as Andrew suggested. I would not buy a Stihl saw with a crappy cylinder like this. How would I know? I guess I'll have to take a flashlight and magnifying glass to the dealer and try to see the stampings on the cylinder, lol:)

If this continues, you're right Andrew. I would stop all personal support of Stihl products. Let's hope things turn around. I'm not holding my breath though.

Back