Crazy and weird

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sawed into an old barn hinge this spring and distroyed my chain. I dug it out of the middle of the tree just to see what it was. It was in the back yard of person that I was cutting out some trees they just wanted to get rid of.

I have a Shagbark Hickory in the side yard that has a pitch fork sticking out the side of it. Must have been there for years the handle is long gone.

Yep got one of them, Found the others when we split up the rounds. I have a pic of one of the insulators. This one was in the middle of a big water oak.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Think they were using that tree for a corner post for an electric fence?

not really an object embedded in a tree but still cool....

i was helping my cousin log a piece of ground near where i grew up. i was just pullin chokers not cutting. so i was snoopin around while cousin was dropping trees. i found a beech tree with a notch cut out if it, no back cut, and it was growing back! i pointed it out to my cousin and he said he had never cut there before, but figured if the tree could survive the last cut through it could survive this one too and he would leave it.

when i got home that night i told my dad about it. HE REMEMBERED IT! cut the notch, saw ran out of gas before the back cut. walked back to his fuel cans and when he came back lookin for the tree he couldnt find it. i should take a picture of that, but then i would have to find the tree........

This was a downed tree but I found half a possum in the round I had just cut off. He was a might pissed off still.

not really an object embedded in a tree but still cool....

i was helping my cousin log a piece of ground near where i grew up. i was just pullin chokers not cutting. so i was snoopin around while cousin was dropping trees. i found a beech tree with a notch cut out if it, no back cut, and it was growing back! i pointed it out to my cousin and he said he had never cut there before, but figured if the tree could survive the last cut through it could survive this one too and he would leave it.

when i got home that night i told my dad about it. HE REMEMBERED IT! cut the notch, saw ran out of gas before the back cut. walked back to his fuel cans and when he came back lookin for the tree he couldnt find it. i should take a picture of that, but then i would have to find the tree........

That is an amazing story on several levels:

1)That you and your dad would be logging the same land a generation apart.

2)That you and your dad would be in the samr area on that piece of land.

3)That you would notice the healing notch

4)That your dad would remember cutting on that tree and the situation at the time.

I'm impressed!! :clap: :clap:

I had a big basswood cut down in my back yard. Buddy climbed and took it down.
Next day, bucking up the logs, I saw this nail in the cut that he made somewhere about 10 ft high. at least a 16d nail, sawed EXACTLY through the center line of the nail. I could not have followed the nail this accurately if I tried too. Murphy definitely not on his side.

I cut it out of the end of the log and soaked in Linseed oil to preserve it.

Last edited:
Found an old hunting knife imbedded in the crotch of a standing-dead maple. Handle was long gone, but the blade, guard and pommel were intact. The blade is kinda pitted, but I cleaned it up some, made a new handle, and use it still!

Found an old hunting knife imbedded in the crotch of a standing-dead maple. Handle was long gone, but the blade, guard and pommel were intact. The blade is kinda pitted, but I cleaned it up some, made a new handle, and use it still!

What a find! Cool that you're still able to use it.

Whitemountain I went out to take a picture for you this morning and I found whats left of the pitch fork on the ground. Either someone knocked it off or it rotted off. Can't even see where it was in the tree so I didn't get a picture sorry..... :cheers:

That's alright. Cool of you for trying. I've seen alot of cool stuff I haven't taken time to take pictures of at the time. Some of them I regret not having a picture, most of them I'm just glad I have the memory. :clap:

I had a big basswood cut down in my back yard. Buddy climbed and took it down.
Next day, bucking up the logs, I saw this nail in the cut that he made somewhere about 10 ft high. at least a 16d nail, sawed EXACTLY through the center line of the nail. I could not have followed the nail this accurately if I tried too. Murphy definitely not on his side.

I cut it out of the end of the log and soaked in Linseed oil to preserve it.

Rep sent!!

That's the coolest thing I've ever seen in wood....yet

I was reading an old hunting magazine at my father's one time a while back. It was Field and Stream, I believe.

Anyway, there was a article about someone finding a mumified coonhound inside an old oak tree.

Apparently, it crawled up inside after a raccoon and got stuck. Somehow it was preserved inside the oak tree. No one knows the real story. I can only imagine.

They have it on display in some museum somewhere.

Latest posts

Back