Crazy and weird

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found some bullets a couple of times.

Could you tell what caliber the bullets were?

I found some .177 pellets in a pine that was windblown. I'm sure traveling slower the pellets were less deformed than a higher power round. I often have wondered if those pellets were part of the demise of that tree. Lead poisoning or weakening of the fibers. Just something I wonder about now and then.

found a horse shoe in the crotch of a red oak, that i sawed on a circle mill. it took out 7 teeth and holders,2 of which went through the roof of the mill and the 8th locked up tighter then a boars ash!! good for the shear on the power shaft.........:chainsaw:

Embedded objects

I ground a stump once and found a glass bottle, ten nails and an old tin can inside a hollow, luckily I saw them before I hit them. But I knew a guy who sawed through a musket from the revolutionary war with a circle saw!

The object wasn't weird, but I thought the location was. I was sawing up about a 14" diameter silver maple log w/ my 390 and halfway through I could feel that I hit metal. No damage to the chain but there was a nail in the perfect dead center of the log. I ended up throwing myself a cuss word surprise party until I determined my chain wasn't ruined.

I ground a stump once and found a glass bottle, ten nails and an old tin can inside a hollow, luckily I saw them before I hit them. But I knew a guy who sawed through a musket from the revolutionary war with a circle saw!

Don't do any stump grinding, but it sounds like they must have used that tree for a trash can.

The musket is crazy!! I would love to have seen that one. I've only been back into that part of the country a couple of times. It's crazy to think of the history of some of those areas. Let's also pray that we may be ready for the time when history tries to repeat itself.

The object wasn't weird, but I thought the location was. I was sawing up about a 14" diameter silver maple log w/ my 390 and halfway through I could feel that I hit metal. No damage to the chain but there was a nail in the perfect dead center of the log. I ended up throwing myself a cuss word surprise party until I determined my chain wasn't ruined.

These are the things that make you wonder, aren't they?

Could you tell what caliber the bullets were?

I found some .177 pellets in a pine that was windblown. I'm sure traveling slower the pellets were less deformed than a higher power round. I often have wondered if those pellets were part of the demise of that tree. Lead poisoning or weakening of the fibers. Just something I wonder about now and then.

Ive found several .22's and a couple of .270 or .30 cal. They would had been good ones to keep, but I cut thru them.

I found about ten inches of a saw chain in a bur oak someone must have got their saw stuck trying to fell a limb for an old tree stand that was in the tree. The limb was dead but completely healed and the chain was rusted off. I had no idea it was there till I split it.

I found about ten inches of a saw chain in a bur oak someone must have got their saw stuck trying to fell a limb for an old tree stand that was in the tree. The limb was dead but completely healed and the chain was rusted off. I had no idea it was there till I split it.

This is one of the things I concern my mind with occasionally. Because I've bound chain in wood a couple of times, and know how easy it can be to forget when you get a new chain on the bar. It's cool to me how the tree can heal from a wound like that too, imperceptably at times.

Fence insulators I can understand, but again were you anywhere near a rail-line? Did you get your saw into any of the above?
Yep got one of them, Found the others when we split up the rounds. I have a pic of one of the insulators. This one was in the middle of a big water oak.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back