Crazy MS440 Popup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After removing material around the squish band, the cylinder is then dropped down over it. The popup then displaces volume in the combustion chamber, which increase compression. More compression means more power, to a point.
gotcha, wasn't aware that you were shaving the cylinder down also, totally understand now, have done the same thing to my race V8 engines, didn't do the pistons but did buy pop up style and cut the heads down some..

Do you run a different mix of fuel for this higher compression? What's the optimum compression? I would think at some point the compression becomes parasitic and reduces power.

There is a point where compression begins to cause pre-ignition and/or detonation, and then higher octanes are used... Typically around 10:1 and above, depending on working loads etc.

J

Nice work Nik!

I've read about off-center combustion chambers in Jennings and Bell, but never seen a pop-up for one. Is it going to affect the expansion of the piston crown?

I had to look twice when I saw the pic the first time, and I'm the one who cut it!!!

I stared at it for a couple of minutes trying to figure it out. lol
I was gonna say, I dont know the benefits, but props to the machinist.

You running a CNC?

I finally got this saw into some wood today. It's pulling an 8-pin rim on a 28" B&C. I forgot that I had put the 8-pin on there and was wonder why it didn't seem to have the torque I expected, lol. I had run out of 7-pin rims so had just stuck the 8-pin on there. That's a lot to ask of a 440, but it didn't do too bad at all. You'll notice about half way through the cut that the saw almost just sets there. There were some crazy hard knots that showed up in the log and really slowed things down.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ms_7Ac6TsBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ms_7Ac6TsBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I clicked on the video before I even read what you had posted. I thought it was a bit dull or something, but it sounds great.

After seeing that it's pulling a 8 pin sprocket through wood that large and hard, it has to be producing a lot of torque.

Thanks for the video, I'm a bit bored here and needed the distraction. LOL

I clicked on the video before I even read what you had posted. I thought it was a bit dull or something, but it sounds great.

After seeing that it's pulling a 8 pin sprocket through wood that large and hard, it has to be producing a lot of torque.

Thanks for the video, I'm a bit bored here and needed the distraction. LOL

There are several knots in that wood that are carzy hard. The saw would just almost stop when it hit them. I hope to get some better vids of it tonight, and it will be wearing a 7-pin. I only had the 8 on there because I was out of 7s. I did sharpen the chain as well. The rakers were way off too. Me and rakers just cannot seem to get along:(

Back