cross cuts of 36" plus log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big daddio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
a buddy of mine wants to make some 3 or 4 inch cross cuts of a pretty good size poplar log [36" plus]. we don't have access to one of those long bar and chains like you csm guys. got a 20 inch bar but want to make some fairly smooth cuts. don't want to use one of my antique crosscuts [would probably be shift work.........] anybody got any easy ideas.........know somebody on this forum does.

Make the straightest cut you can, and sand the imperfections, then stain & seal it. Wood cut in chunks like that dry rather quickley and will eventually crack and split. Those kind of slabs have the grain the wrong way for any kind of durability. I imagine if you put a little work into it, the piece might last and would look good. Small card table or beverage holder? My uncle use to score some massive Doug Fir Burels in the 80's at the mill he works at. He finished a few of them and made a coffee table that turned out to be in the shape of a vampire/cartoon coffin (following the shape of the burl) that is about 45" long.

You should find someone on here close to you that has a small chainsaw mill.

Last edited:
wonder how it would do if you cut the pith out, just a few, 5 or 6 inches, in a circle at the ring center. reckon' if it would stop the ultimate crack you get with a cross cut piece like that?

Google polyethylene glycol (PEG) stabilization for preventing cracks. There's quite a bit of info available on the subject.

checked that aggie, thanx. read where some turnin' guys were usin' it on bowls. know how you get ahold of it? does it come in some consumer brand or what?

Yep- it'll get 'er done.:)

Woodcraft sells small quantities it but you will have to locate a chemical supplier for any large quantities (at least that's what I found the last I looked).

Latest posts

Back