CS 490 Or CS 501P?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Singing Arborist

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 50 CC Echo and would love some feedback on these two saws. The 501 is a little lighter and more powerful, but how does a muffler modded 490 hold up against it? The 501 also costs $150 more so does its benefits make up for that?

Thanks

I purchased a 501P with an 18" last year. I've since put a few tanks through it. It's all stock as I haven't done anything to it. It's a very nice saw but is definitely plugged up compared to other saws in the 50cc class. I also have a Stihl MS250 (16" bar) which is probably about 18 years old and seen homeowner use. It seems to run faster than the Echo stock vs. stock.

Comparing the 490 vs the 501. The only differences are the metal handle vs plastic handle, pro lite bar on 501 with full chisel chain, captive bar nuts and different sprocket setup. If I had to do over, I'd go 490 and mod it.

I'm looking at getting a 50 CC Echo and would love some feedback on these two saws. The 501 is a little lighter and more powerful, but how does a muffler modded 490 hold up against it? The 501 also costs $150 more so does its benefits make up for that?

Thanks
If you don't spend at least 30 hours behind that saw every year, get the CS-490 and muffler mod it. You'll be fine.

I bought a 501P, am really glad I went the extra and have never looked back.
It's now pulling 3/8" LGX with authority :numberone:
The aluminum handle, rim sprocket, captive nuts and translucent fuel tank were definitely worth it.
More power and lighter weight = win WIN !!

And I'll certainly agree that if you're not using it much the 490 will be fine.

Even the CS500 (same as the 490 engine) was a turd as it came, with a good muff mod, tuned well and most important broke in good it runs real close if not even to my cs501 which has the same. No night and day difference. On the 501 the rim sprocket and better bar and chain would be nice, I could care less about a metal handle as the plastic is way cheaper to replace and don't break any sooner than a metal one gets twisted up.. I hate those captive nuts, took them off. Steve

I've ran both. The 490 is a turd. The 501 is a modern 50cc class pro saw. Unless it's a money issue get the 501.

Stock, I agree. Muffler modded and broken in and I agree with Steve/Mountainlake

Huge thanks for your feedback guys. This saw will be run daily in my business. Under that environment, it seems like a no brainer that I'd get the 501P. My line of thinking is that I've had a 590, a homeowner class saw, as a daily runner for 2 years now and it's been a killer saw, even to this day. I wondered if the 490 was going to be the same way.

I asked this same question to the dealer...of course they recommended the 501P. They also let me know their 15% off sale was next week. Looks like I'll be getting a 501P next week.

Thanks again for the feedback folks.

Latest posts

Back