CSM designs for stihl 090 60" bar??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys

I want to build a new mill for my 090 and new 60"bar. I will be milling some large river reg gum approx 1300 diam.

I am looking for suggestions.

Below is my current setup on my 3120 and 40" bar.

Because the 090 is so heavy I thought I should mount the saw to the CSM and not just to the bar?

Let's see your ideas
Thanks
Oden

Oden, When I built my mills I found that I got a relatively poor response by asking general questions like "Give me all you got", compared to floating ideas like this one.
Because the 090 is so heavy I thought I should mount the saw to the CSM and not just to the bar?
To which I agree. You also get about 2" more of cutting length and the whole shebang is more rigid. There is one disadvantage and that is on a long bar the weight of the bar makes it sag. If the mill clamps to the inboard part of the bar the weight of the powerhead counteracts the sag to some degree. For mills that mount to the powerhead some kind of anti-sag device is needed on long bars. See here for my solution.

Looking at your current setup it looks like you might get sore arms milling with your arms spread so far apart (one presumably is on the throttle and the other on one of those outboard handles? - or maybe you use a zip tie on the throttle?). I'd suggest a tube that runs the full length of the mill about 6" above the mill rails and stick a vertical handle about 1/3 of the way along the length of the tube. I reckon when you start you can't have too many handles on a mill, eventually your hands will find the handles that suit you and then you can get rid of the unused ones.

Here is a thread where I floated some ideas and tried a few things out.

Do you have the Will Malloff "chainsaw lumber making" book. There is a link to an e-version it somewhere in this forum. Will uses an 090 so you will find some ideas specific to that saw.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back