CT GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have square file chain on all my saws, and I can show how I sharpen it if anyone is interested. However, I don't have a grinder for square, I do it all by hand, so converting from one to the other would be too labor intensive.

Also, I would advise anyone just learning to buy a loop of square, so you can see what it is supposed to look like. It also helps to enable your file to "fall into place". I use, and am happy with, the PFRED 3 square files, but other members prefer other files. They look almost the same as round files, and give you 3 sets of sharpening angles instead of two, which should help them last longer.

Basically, I learned how to do it from the Madsen's Chainsaw website, and from other members on here, like Brian who posted a video of his sharpening of square file.

I also found this to be very helpful in understanding the angles and what needed to be done:

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_cb_angles.htm

IMO, the two most important things with square are keeping the corner lined up, and the side plate (they cut the grain). Also, do not reduce the angle of the top plate too much, or the chain will not feed well (the top plate functions mostly as a chisel anyway, so the angle does not have to be that steep).

And always remember,

If things just aren't working out with square filing, you can always round file or grind the chain to save it.

Take Care

It's gonna be a good, chill time for sure. Looking forward to it. Hey Bruce B., if you're reading this come on Brother your firewood should all be done by then and you'll just be Home twiddling your thumbs! :D

Back