CT spring GTG May 7th 2016

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7efda27ed9097e93d67af59cb64c3ece.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple quick things from today...

The dyno works. ...well. the kinks are not ironed out but it definitely works well enough to give data that is easily interpreted.

Ran the 350 challenge on the dyno. More on this later. But saw 4 and 5 are nearly identical... oem NE 346xp cylinder vs hyway. ...and out of my bunch they are best. However. Brad Snelling sent his version with popup and it was indeed faster than even my best. Very nice powerband. ...not surprising due to the increase compression on his saw and more open muffler. Of interest...saw 4 has no spark screen and 5 has one.

The stock 350 is quite slow with a stock muffler. Just a muffler mod proves to really wake up the stock 45mm saw.

Jmsaws builds a killer 064.....devastating....and loud.

Paragon builder has a sweet place for a gtg. Thank you!!! The prep here is obvious and extensive....Lotta work went into today.

To mels and cindy...thank you for food!!!! Made this day much smoother.

We had a bit of a light crowd today...but very interactive....a great day to learn and be taught.

Thank you than you thank you all....what a great day.

Ran the 350 challenge on the dyno. More on this later. But saw 4 and 5 are nearly identical... oem NE 346xp cylinder vs hyway. ...and out of my bunch they are best. However. Brad Snelling sent his version with popup and it was indeed faster than even my best. Very nice powerband. ...not surprising due to the increase compression on his saw and more open muffler. Of interest...saw 4 has no spark screen and 5 has one.
You're welcome to take my saw home. Pop the cylinder off if you'd like.

Brad, I have your saw. Question... what would you like me to do with it? I will ship it back to you, at my expense, or I could possibly find a buyer up here. Just need to know what kind of $$ you want for it.

The saw runs very well, and because it runs so well it is unlikely I'll be popping anything off :)

Get back to me when you can, happy to oblige either way.

overall I think that dyno is the ultimate equalizer. .... it really does a nice job of demonstrating why saws act a certain way....where power band is, peaky, etc. what a great instrument.

Brad, do you mind if dyno results are posted for your saw?

Brad, I have your saw. Question... what would you like me to do with it? I will ship it back to you, at my expense, or I could possibly find a buyer up here. Just need to know what kind of $$ you want for it.

The saw runs very well, and because it runs so well it is unlikely I'll be popping anything off :)

Get back to me when you can, happy to oblige either way.

overall I think that dyno is the ultimate equalizer. .... it really does a nice job of demonstrating why saws act a certain way....where power band is, peaky, etc. what a great instrument.

Brad, do you mind if dyno results are posted for your saw?
Matt, since you have Brads permission, I would pop that top! He builds a strong saw! There must be something for you to learn in there!

Okaley dokaley.... was just tryin to save return ship :)

No need to mess w/ that recipe Brad.... that saw was fine. In case you are interest/ curious... After looking at all the cylinders, the one conclusion I think I can make is that if you are going to cut squishband, use the OEM 346xp ne cylinder. However, I like the plating so much on the hyway, if you don't want to cut squish band and just run a popup, then go w/ the hyway. The plating at the top of the combustion chamber is smooth and even all the way up the top of the chamber, whereas the oem cylinder has a lip of plating as the cylinder wall transitions to combustion chamber that ideally needs to be trimmed off.

I'd like to see the power graphs of the dyno runs. I didn't really get to see them even when we were doing the runs, I was more concentrating on getting each run on video....

What I do know is that the Brad saw is/was about .25 to .5 hp above my best run....across a 9k-12k powerband. Somewheres in the 4.5 to 5hp range. I didn't get to see the stock runs, I will wait for Eric to post that data. Boy does he have quite a job ahead of him.

@malk315 Eric, all I need for the 350 runs is a color coded graph of the "best" run of each saw ... all on the same chart. If this possible that'd be great!

Latest posts

Back