Curious about eBay question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charge an extra 30 bucks on top of the shipping. I have had to pay customs duties on a few shipments to Germany a month or two after the fact, I think it was $27.50 both times. I don't know about France but I think its probably the same.

I had a few friends that were stationed here in the German Air Force, all of them bought at least one brand new Stihl before they went back to re-sell. Kind of funny, but they are allot cheaper after they have toured the world.

A bit less than half that.
My local list is $600 with 16". Might find one for $575.
http://www.stihldealer.net/productd...47-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-41.aspx

I can't recall if our 361 is made in USA or Germany. If it was made in Germany, could you re-import one without paying import duty/tax?

If the serial number starts with 1 it is made in germany, if it starts with a 2 it's US made.

I always have to pay + 19 % Tax if it comes from outside the European Union

I have shipped saws overseas, but only to people that I know personally, or that I know from here on AS and on some other forums. The shipping is not that hard to do, but you have to be careful about listing contents on the customs forms. Also the declared value will raise some flags if they are not listed right. I have never lost a saw in shipping, or had an overseas saw deal gone bad. Not so on Ebay... I never ship out of the USA on Ebay sales. Too much of a pain, and too many scammers in places like the Czech Republic (nothing personal against the Czechs, just a lot of bad Ebay dealers set up bogus saw shops there). There are a few shady listings in London from time to time as well. Typically a guy will list saws and claim that he took a pair of brand new 290s to the UK, and wants to off them there, when in reality he is shipping them directly from NYC. They tend to get busted and closed down pretty fast on Ebay.

As for why they want them, chainsaws are commonly 2x the price that we pay for them in Europe and Australia. They pay more like 3x (or more) in Japan.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of stuff shipped from the US to the UK - particularly car parts, when the dollar was weak and the pound strong.
All you do is state on the customs tag that it is "damaged", dirty it up a lot, and include a receipt saying "Sold as seen for $45, no returns accepted, this engine does not run, as advertised on Ebay item No. 'imaginary number'".
Buyer (me) gets it, cleans off the soot you blew all over it by running your truck exhaust on full choke next to it for a while and it's all done. Take a few bits off, maybe a cover or two so it looks like scrap.
I know a couple of Customs guys and they HATE dirty things, means they have to change their gloves afterwards to avoid soiling the next thing they handle. And always describe it as "parts" instead of a saw.
Worst I've ever been done for is the tax on the shipping.

I had a set of £400 con-rods inspected and come straight through because the guy shipped them dismantled, out of the original box, and covered in used engine oil.

And don't declare it as a "gift" - that is a customs magnet. Another good one to use is "warranty return", with a note inside saying that it has now been repaired - that way it looks like you already paid for the saw, and duties/taxes so the only thing they can tax you on is shipping.

PS - I am Pablo Escobar. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

So Patrick, you're admitting in a public forum that you routinely defraud your government and cheat them out of taxes?

So Patrick, you're admitting in a public forum that you routinely defraud your government and cheat them out of taxes?

Absolutely, and I see nothing wrong with it. I pay tax on my earnings (40%), I am then taxed on whatever I choose to spend those earnings on (15%), and when I die the dead 'me' is taxed again to the tune of 40% on that which I wish to leave my family.
Law does not dictate your morals, you can abide by one, the other or a bit of both.
So yes, I am admitting on a public forum that I routinely defraud my government and cheat them out of taxes.:)

Absolutely, and I see nothing wrong with it. I pay tax on my earnings (40%), I am then taxed on whatever I choose to spend those earnings on (15%), and when I die the dead 'me' is taxed again to the tune of 40% on that which I wish to leave my family.
Law does not dictate your morals, you can abide by one, the other or a bit of both.
So yes, I am admitting on a public forum that I routinely defraud my government and cheat them out of taxes.:)

+1 .:cheers:

Governments routinely defraud John Q Public all the time.....Watched the news lately....?

When I sell saws on eBay I always list with international shipping. The last 2 I sold both went over the water one to Australia and the other one to Slovenia. No problems with either one. I got premium money and positive feedback.

OK, just for the hell of it...

What if one of those guys said he never got the item?

Or if he did, it was crushed? What would happen?

Just curious? Do you want to find out?

Latest posts

Back