Current picts of wood cutting and weather conditions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that is a lot of nice firewood that would have gone to waste if you hadn't gone in after it...

Tell, me about it.. IT's kinda sad. They cut down about 40-50 old growth oaks and bucked em at the first branch. Took the big log and left the rest. I'll probably get 100 face cord or so out of it. and its all right behind the house:clap:

attachment.php

attachment.php

As we were expecting (and got) snow on Tuesday, I headed out into the woods and grabbed a truck load on Monday. Got the first batch split (in the cart). Thanx to rms61moparman and bytehoven for suggesting the Fiskars, it's way better than the axe I used to use. Thanx to Nosmo for the idea of the cart and 200' of rope to move wood out of the woods to where I can toss it into the truck

Last week I cut a couple of loads of hardwood, I gave my old Solo 655 a run it went well apart from a bucking spike fell off. The fasteners are somewhere amongst the noodles.
Not the best weather to be cutting the temp has been between 90- 100F, Roll on winter.

I don`t think I would be out cutting wood if it were 90-100F, way too hot for me. That euc. looks like it would be hard splitting, the solo took care of it though. How cold does it get there in your winter?
Pioneerguy600

When the euc has dried it's easier to split, I use a 8lb maul but I've since bought a Fiskars SS, I find that splits the wood easier.

The average minimum temp during the evening in winter would be about 48F, you probably consider that warm where you are :)

When the euc has dried it's easier to split, I use a 8lb maul but I've since bought a Fiskars SS, I find that splits the wood easier.

The average minimum temp during the evening in winter would be about 48F, you probably consider that warm where you are :)

48F, that is warm, tee shirt and shorts warm, beer on ice warm.LOL
Pioneerguy600

Dropped some real dead locust, stuff burns long and hot. It was about 25 degrees about 6 inches on the ground. Got a cord cut and split in about 4 hours
einudx.jpg

Friday night of splitting a head of me
b8n3pg.jpg

Split and stacked easy access for my dad
nps2o5.jpg

I seen that illuminated tower from the highway on my way home , I thought I was seeing thing because it didn't fit with any of the familiar night time lights .

:cheers:

Lifted the generator head and the blades just after sundown, got to get it bolted down securely to the turntable before it can be left unattended, probably be done by midnight.
Pioneerguy600

attachment.php

attachment.php

As we were expecting (and got) snow on Tuesday, I headed out into the woods and grabbed a truck load on Monday. Got the first batch split (in the cart). Thanx to rms61moparman and bytehoven for suggesting the Fiskars, it's way better than the axe I used to use. Thanx to Nosmo for the idea of the cart and 200' of rope to move wood out of the woods to where I can toss it into the truck

You got a good little setup going there, nice looking wood and a fine saw. Those little steel carts are real sturdy and haul a good sized load. Now the 200' of rope must be used to pull trees out closer to where it can be cut up and loaded into your truck?
Pioneerguy600

You got a good little setup going there, nice looking wood and a fine saw. Those little steel carts are real sturdy and haul a good sized load. Now the 200' of rope must be used to pull trees out closer to where it can be cut up and loaded into your truck?
Pioneerguy600

The saw is kinda small and borrowed from a friend. I'm eagerly waiting for a rebuilt Husky 55 that I grabbed when polkat listed it here. I'd really like a 60-70cc saw but it's not in my budget at the moment.

I use the rope to pull the loaded cart up hills, pull down leaning trees (there's about 25 feet of heavy chain on the right side of the truck bed there) and, as you mention, drag some of the downed trees closer to where I can park my truck. It also helps to have the wood covered, in the truck as we have very little space to store split wood around the house (house is in a sub).

Last edited:
The saw is kinda small and borrowed from a friend. I'm eagerly waiting for a rebuilt Husky 55 that I grabbed when polkat listed it here. I'd really like a 60-70cc saw but it's not in my budget at the moment.

I use the rope to pull the loaded cart up hills, pull down leaning trees (there's about 25 feet of heavy chain on the right side of the truck bed there) and, as you mention, drag some of the downed trees closer to where I can park my truck. It also helps to have the wood covered, in the truck as we have very little space to store split wood around the house (house is in a sub).

Your saw may be small but it will still get the job done, I seen my dad log close to 15 acres one winter with a 33 cc Remington. He did it with that saw because my mom had given it to dad as a Christmas present. We all sorta giggled about the saw being so small and dad said he would," show us ", and he did. The white spruce and pine on that lot were 20-36" dia. and he felled and cut every one with the little 33 cc Remington just to show us it could be done.
Pioneerguy600

Tuesday, at the "office". These guys were rigging guylines for their tail tree.
They have a Skagit swing yarder going. The sun was out. Yesterday it was snowing hard there and we had the dreaded snow buildup on caulks to contend with.

Oh, there's part of their 460 showing at the bottom of the picture.
attachment.php

Oh, and that's an old Douglas-fir blowdown that they're tying onto. The old trees aren't as big up at that elevation.

Tuesday, at the "office". These guys were rigging guylines for their tail tree.
They have a Skagit swing yarder going. The sun was out. Yesterday it was snowing hard there and we had the dreaded snow buildup on caulks to contend with.

Oh, there's part of their 460 showing at the bottom of the picture.
attachment.php

Oh, and that's an old Douglas-fir blowdown that they're tying onto. The old trees aren't as big up at that elevation.

Thanks for posting the pict. Patrica, the guy`s are getting that back tie nice and taught, thay old DF will make a good anchor especially with that young growth buffering the front side. It must have snowed after this pict was taken?
Will they use 3 cable clamps on that steel cable, up,down, up?
Pioneerguy600

Sorry dudes, no saw shots here, forgot the camera the day I was cutting, but I split and hauled a load of oak this weekend.

Weather was up close to freezing, probably +25°F and snow depth ranging from 6" in the open field to about a foot in the woods, with drifts to 2' along fencelines.

Full story and more pictures over in firewood: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=125581

Hoping to get out after work Tues or Thursday and I'll get you fellas some Dolmar saw pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back