Custom stump grinding truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought I'd show off my prodget. I decided to build truck to use for stump grinding and farming out of a ford F550 service truck I picked up. Truck itself is pretty low miles with a 7.3 diesel. I built a low decked flatbed by notching the cross member channels over the frame runners on the bed. It sits at 36" high (compared to 42" for most F550 flatbeds) and still has an inch of extra clearance beyond the spring bumpers. I made a removable beavertail and ramps that fit into reciever tubes on the back. It comes off by pulling three pins allowing me to pull my tag trailer. The tool boxes fit into a set of inner stake pockets to be quickly removed if I need to haul hay. There is a removeble cradle for the cutter wheel and fuel can holders behind the tool boxes as well. View attachment 224569View attachment 224565View attachment 224566View attachment 224567View attachment 224568

That is awesome! I really like how you made the ramps removable.

Great idea there, very handy setup. Just wondering, how heavy are the ramps, and do you have some type of spring assist on them??
You can't go wrong with those 7.3 Powerstrokes.
Jeff

Great idea there, very handy setup. Just wondering, how heavy are the ramps, and do you have some type of spring assist on them??
You can't go wrong with those 7.3 Powerstrokes.
Jeff

The ramps aren't bad. I'm guessing they are 60 lbs each,(half that to lift them up) but I did put assist springs on as well. I haven't put that many miles on it yet but I do like the 7.3 I've always been more of a dodge/cummins fan but they didn't make a truck with enough GVW until recently and out of my price range.

nice setup moe. that will be the series truck i'll get when this one ware's out. just a dedicated truck to haul the beast is so much better than dragging a damn trailer around. this is my simple setup i've been using for quite a while now.
attachment.php

nice setup moe. that will be the series truck i'll get when this one ware's out. just a dedicated truck to haul the beast is so much better than dragging a damn trailer around. this is my simple setup i've been using for quite a while now.
attachment.php

Nice setup,,,u and moe are making me sick LOL..

Bob..:cheers:

attachment.php

You've got a nice set up as well. The idea came from reading other posts on this site. I had an isuzu NPR that I was originally going to use until I started doing the math on the GVW. The isuzu was 12000 GVW It was a 6000 lb cab/ chassis. put a 2000 lb bed on it a 5500 lb griner,(8018) tool boxes and tools and I was going to be over grossed all of the time. The F550 is 19000 gvw. I haven't run it over the scale but I'm thinking I should be in 16000 range fully loaded. The 550's also have 19.5 truck tires and big brakes. The one thing I did like about the isuzu was the incredibly tight turning radius. The isuzu would have been pretty doggy with a big load like this as well.

Here is a picture of the truck when I bought it from an online auction. You can often get the trucks with a service body or cube body on it for less money than buying a cab/chassis by itself. The body was aluminum with a lift gate. I was able to sell it and pay for the materials of the bed I built.

ya mine weighs in loaded and fueled at 12,500 . gets around good, but the turn radius is not the best but better than dragin a trailer around. the 7015 is around 4700+ fuel . just drive up strap down and go. theres a few things i would like to add or change on mine but not that big of deal , so i havn't got to them yet.

Both those trucks and grinders are nice!!!! Would be great for storm chasing. I hate dealing with a trailer.

I actually prefer the trailer setup. I have enclosed trailer that I have modified with reinforced floor, custom ramps, and built in storage bins. I can keep everything I need in the way of the grinder, parts, tools, supplies, and extra fuel, locked up inside the trailer. It is set up for stormchasing, with everything I might need. However, I have never done any of that. While the truck is very nice, I like my stuff to be locked up inside the trailer, and out of the weather when it is not in use. With a truck, I would have to unload the grinder every time I got back to the shop, so I could use my truck for hauling other things.
I like that truck, but the setup would not work for me personally.
Jeff

Latest posts

Back