Cutting a Walnut log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmbeachy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have had this log for some time, decided to cut it. Took the visible hardware out of it, hope that I got it all.Got the log on the mill and lined up to make the first cut.
Walnut005.jpg

Walnut007.jpg

Made the first cut and took the top slab out, also took the bottom half out to reposition on the mill. I use the tractor and lift to turn the log and reposition. To old to do it the hard way.
Walnut008.jpg

Walnut009.jpg

Walnut012.jpg

Walnut011.jpg

The slab will be 7ft4in long, 23 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches thick. It has some right nice grain in it.

Well, my hope of getting all the hardware out didn't hold true. Turned the log 180 and started to make the cut, about half way through guess what. There was a 1/4 inch eye bolt buried. Sharpened the chain and dug the bolt out and finished the cut. Turned the log 180 again to cut the 2 1/2 inch slab. About 2/3 of the way through I hit more metal. Decided to go ahead and cut through the metal and then sharpen the chain to finish the cut, but that didn't work. To much metal. So I sharpened the chain and started a back cut from the other end a little lower than the original cut. Finished this out OK. Broke the slab apart and took it off. There were a couple of big staples several inches in the log, no way to see them from the outside. Dug them out and quit for the evening. Will have to take a thin cut off part of the slab tomorrow to even it up to 2 1/2 inches. Oh well, live and learn. Lester

Why not run a metal detector over the log first?

The big reason is that I don't have one and I don't cut enough to justify buying one that is good enough to pick up the metal that is in deep.

The big reason is that I don't have one and I don't cut enough to justify buying one that is good enough to pick up the metal that is in deep.

Wouldn't one that doesn't sense very deep work OK if you scanned between cuts? You would only have to sense a few inches into the log.

The measurements are just what I need for our fireplace mantile.
Now the trick is to see what it would take for you to ship it to Texas.:)

You have got to love urban trees:dizzy: I think I hit metal more often than not. I have thought of getting a metal detector but all it would tell me is that I am going to hit metal. I am still going to rip through the log, it is just then I would know I was in trouble before I started. That is too depressing for me, I perfer to be optomistic.

Well, if you pay to have it shipped to Texas, I think I can arrange for that, and just think how much you stimulate the economy. lol. Lester

You have got to love urban trees:dizzy: I think I hit metal more often than not. I have thought of getting a metal detector but all it would tell me is that I am going to hit metal. I am still going to rip through the log, it is just then I would know I was in trouble before I started. That is too depressing for me, I perfer to be optomistic.

Thats pretty much why I don't own one either.

Well, if you pay to have it shipped to Texas, I think I can arrange for that, and just think how much you stimulate the economy. lol. Lester
I am serious about getting some thing like you have but alot closer:)
What is some thing like you have worth?

My fire place is 2 inchs longer then your slab.

I have a 090 with a mill but I think it would be better for me to just find a slab already dry.

His slab appears to have been cut from a log that was already dry. If that is true, it would be a good choice. His pictures also show the slab dry, not wet, so you're not even getting a sniff of how spectacular it might be. If it were wet with water, it would be very indicative of what it would look like with just tung oil applied.

You're concerned about shipping charges? I had (2) 3" thick 36" wide and 6' long slabs of redwood shipped from California to Pennsylvania. Shipping on each was north of $200 UPS. Portions of both were used as vanity tops in our new house. In the grand scheme of things, the shipping was small potatoes. The resultant affect was well worth the cost.

I haven't seen your fireplace, but with what I'm imagining, a mantle several inches shorter on each end would look better than "flush".

I am serious about getting some thing like you have but alot closer:)
What is some thing like you have worth?

My fire place is 2 inchs longer then your slab.

I have a 090 with a mill but I think it would be better for me to just find a slab already dry.

His slab appears to have been cut from a log that was already dry. If that is true, it would be a good choice. His pictures also show the slab dry, not wet, so you're not even getting a sniff of how spectacular it might be. If it were wet with water, it would be very indicative of what it would look like with just tung oil applied.

You're concerned about shipping charges? I had (2) 3" thick 36" wide and 6' long slabs of redwood shipped from California to Pennsylvania. Shipping on each was north of $200 UPS. Portions of both were used as vanity tops in our new house. In the grand scheme of things, the shipping was small potatoes. The resultant affect was well worth the cost.

I haven't seen your fireplace, but with what I'm imagining, a mantle several inches shorter on each end would look better than "flush".
That is exactly what I am thinking:)
I just had a 50 lb. 114 inch package from LA Calif come in to Dallas with a 200.00 dollar freight bill from Fed-ex freight.

Last edited:
Weight

My son in law and I picked it up off the forks on the tractor to see what we thought it might weigh. He thought and I agree with him that it would probably weigh in the neighborhood of 125 lbs. But that is a guess.

Latest posts

Back