Cutting aluminum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a guy on another forum looking for a way to cut a LOT of roughly 2" thick aluminum plate as part of a salvage/demo job. I told him he might be able to get by using a chainsaw and the right chain. I remember hearing of guys cutting lead blocks at the foundry and am wondering what people think would work for this. I know it would be hard on a saw but I think the salvage value of the material would more than cover a new saw (something like 100 tons of aluminum) I was thinking that carbide chain might be best. These cuts would all be around 2 feet in length and be around 3 feet apart.

Probably not the best use of a saw but I doubt its the craziest

When working on tractor/trailers, I found a circular saw with carbide
tipped blades cut well, and it left a good edge on the aluminum trim
for trailer repair, the carbide held up great and cut fast.

100 tons of aluminum would pay for a lot of things.......

100 tons aluminum...sounds like gas cutoff saw territory. I would think such a saw and a pile of cutoff blades would be chump change compared to the salvage value you're dealing with there.

I sure would like to have some chunks of that :)
I wouldn't cut it with a chainsaw but my Echo gas chopper prob would be good but 2" is a lot of alum if it has any width. That would be like cutting sidewalk slate...Bob

I have a guy on another forum looking for a way to cut a LOT of roughly 2" thick aluminum plate as part of a salvage/demo job. I told him he might be able to get by using a chainsaw and the right chain. I remember hearing of guys cutting lead blocks at the foundry and am wondering what people think would work for this. I know it would be hard on a saw but I think the salvage value of the material would more than cover a new saw (something like 100 tons of aluminum) I was thinking that carbide chain might be best. These cuts would all be around 2 feet in length and be around 3 feet apart.

Probably not the best use of a saw but I doubt its the craziest
You are barking up the wrong tree buddy. Go rent a serious plasma cutter. They are very effective and actually as silly as it sounds,...fun.

what about some type of shear?

Walmart has them. Don't see how it would help though...

attachment.php

A plasma cutter that can cut 2 inches of aluminum would be a very large machine, I doubt you'd get a portable one with that capacity. It would have to be an industrial machine, depending on the environment the op is cutting in, it probably wouldn't be practical.

A plasma cutter that can cut 2 inches of aluminum would be a very large machine, I doubt you'd get a portable one with that capacity. It would have to be an industrial machine, depending on the environment the op is cutting in, it probably wouldn't be practical.

I had an industrial plasma at work and 1" alum was tough to cut let alone 2". Maybe a welder and a carbon arc rod...Bob

Chinook helicopter... lift the whole damn thing over to the scrapyard. (points A (aluminum scrap location) and B (scrapyard) would have to be pretty close to the airport...)

A big cutoff saw and a diamond blade will do the work for you. If you get a good one, you probably will pay three or more times for it with the scrap that you haul in.

Something like this? Makita Power Cutter — 14in., 73cc, Model# DPC7331X1 | Concrete Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

Or this? ICS 695GC Concrete Saw — With 14in. Guidebar, 94cc Gas Engine, Model# 695GC | Concrete Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

Of course, there are many more brands and suppliers. I think this, as recommended by JDNicol and pioneerguy600 is the best way to go.

Let us know how it all works out. I'm looking forward to pics. :cheers:

Stephen C and Pioneerguy are on track...gas or electric circular saw..carbide blade with coolant/lube. Don't use any carborendum type cutoff blades, they are for iron/steel only and will clog up quickly with alum/brass etc and perhaps shatter. Bad...for you...alum has to be cut not ground...

If you go electric over gas.....be sure to put a nylon stocking or similar over the cooling air intake on the saw...to many alum chips sucked into your electric motor and FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIP!!! You're done with that saw...

A small metal fab shop that I run their CNC plasma cutter for uses circler saws to cut steel. Who would have thought that a circler carbide tipped blade to cut steel. FWIW.....FYI

Back