Cutting aluminum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TCT circular saw With kerosine done this it works good on flat plate up to 2" thick

Plasma is good but you will need a medium size unit and good air supply.

Hand held band saw is worth a look

I cant rmenber what the op is cutting up but if there is lots of irregular shapes then go with the plasma

TCT circular saw With kerosine done this it works good on flat plate up to 2" thick

Plasma is good but you will need a medium size unit and good air supply.

Hand held band saw is worth a look

I cant rmenber what the op is cutting up but if there is lots of irregular shapes then go with the plasma

Aluminum... as we all know, it loves to take heat and disperse it well so it doesn't burn up.

Cutting thick aluminum with a hot saw equipped with a carbide tooth blade is asking to lose your head.

The shear was not a bad suggestion. The guy who said they weigh 75tons doesn't know jack about a demolition shear. You can rent them mounted on a 3 ton skid steer. They'll chop the metal up as small as you want it. Then you can use forks to load totes or the bucket to just dump it into a truck.

Mr. HE:cool:

The person with the task at hand needs to calculate the number of linear feet to be cut and then pick the tool for the task.

Chainsaw parting ingots, okay.
Chainsaw slotting a 2" thick cut 1000' long, no.
Circular saw slotting a 2" thick cut 10,000' long, maybe, how much are you paying me by the hour and is it a walk behind decking saw?

who hear has actually cut alluminium?? and I dont mean 1mm thick with some tin snips....

petrol demo/cuttoff saw is a joke. Diamond blade would take for ever and just burn up, abrasive blades the same.....also remember you have to match the rpm of the blade to the machine you are using....

TCT blades that are 5° NEGATIVE rake and have a trapazode profile are what cuts ally, soap can be used for lube, also kero is good but it also depends on how neat and acurate the cut......If plasma will do it or a shear that will be the best bet.

chainsaw.......maybe smack face with palm first

Cut off saw with right blade!
They can be rented I believe?

IMG_0219.jpg

This was taken around midnight!

only way to do it would be with an aluminium cutting tct blade in a chopsaw and use aluminium cutting wax or lard as a lubricant, all other ways would be WAAAAAAYYYYYY too slow!!!

A sliding mitre saw with the right TCT blade certainly makes short work of heavy aluminium profiles. Maybe a 2" slab would be asking too much though even of a large saw. Worth a try.

who hear has actually cut alluminium?? and I dont mean 1mm thick with some tin snips....

petrol demo/cuttoff saw is a joke. Diamond blade would take for ever and just burn up, abrasive blades the same.....also remember you have to match the rpm of the blade to the machine you are using....

TCT blades that are 5° NEGATIVE rake and have a trapazode profile are what cuts ally, soap can be used for lube, also kero is good but it also depends on how neat and acurate the cut......If plasma will do it or a shear that will be the best bet.

:clap:
Finally! Someone with some sense!
Definitely DO NOT put a tct blade on a demolition saw though.
As has already been stated it will take a damn good plasma to even look like severing 2" aluminium and for the record arcair does not always work so well on aluminium in my experience, not to mention the size of welding plant required to operate the process. Chainsaw does not do a real bad job, (yes I have done it) but is quite hard on machine and man.
Circular saw (hand held), is really a non starter as the motor will really heat up with any appreciable amount of cutting.
I am leaning towards the idea of mechanical means such as a shear.
No easy solution to this one, iot is a job of industrial proportions and should be treated as such

:clap:
Finally! Someone with some sense!
Definitely DO NOT put a tct blade on a demolition saw though.
As has already been stated it will take a damn good plasma to even look like severing 2" aluminium and for the record arcair does not always work so well on aluminium in my experience, not to mention the size of welding plant required to operate the process. Chainsaw does not do a real bad job, (yes I have done it) but is quite hard on machine and man.
Circular saw (hand held), is really a non starter as the motor will really heat up with any appreciable amount of cutting.
I am leaning towards the idea of mechanical means such as a shear.
No easy solution to this one, iot is a job of industrial proportions and should be treated as such

Hey Karl good to see you over here!

(you know me from the woodwork forums.)

as I say only way to do it is with a TCT ally cutting blade and aluminium wax or lard.

Travis

This aluminum is in 2ft wide plates mounted 15ft in the air and runs for over 150ft. The gaps between the plates are pretty narrow and the cut off pieces have to fit through a 5x7 door in a concrete building. Actual quantity of aluminum is closer to 200 tons. So there is no way a shear is going to get in there, plasma might work but it would take a large machine and 3ph power, oxy torches dont cut aluminum well at all and a cutoff saw might be a bit too wide to fit between the plates.

I am not the one doing the work, I am just trying to help a member on another forum who is trying to figure this out.

I have sir!! You would be wise to learn how to spell the product being discussed before coming on here shouting about other persons posting their ideas. Open forum after all. The blade you suggest does not have sufficient side clearance to cut aluminium mounted on a gasoline powered chop saw, they are fine on a stationary or solidly mounted saw. Soap is a good lubricant but difficult to dispense, depends on temp and cutting positions. Kerosene held in a mounted auxillary tank with a feed line to the front of the blade guard, nozzle pointed to the front edge of the blade teeth. Good 12" heavy duty carbide tipped table saw blade will cut 1" thick plate easily, have also cut many different profiles also, angle,round and square with no problems. I would think 2" would cut fine but take a little longer.

This aluminum is in 2ft wide plates mounted 15ft in the air and runs for over 150ft. The gaps between the plates are pretty narrow and the cut off pieces have to fit through a 5x7 door in a concrete building. Actual quantity of aluminum is closer to 200 tons. So there is no way a shear is going to get in there, plasma might work but it would take a large machine and 3ph power, oxy torches dont cut aluminum well at all and a cutoff saw might be a bit too wide to fit between the plates.

I am not the one doing the work, I am just trying to help a member on another forum who is trying to figure this out.

What you really need is a bigger freakin door.:msp_w00t: The time saved by not cutting it up would pay for a large overhead door.

What about an industrial sized portable waterjet cutter? I have seen stationary units cutting through 4" Stainless steel like it was cheese.

Back