Cutting conditions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've cut in 40"-48" of snow on steep ground and that was about all i could handle. Dont have to worry about gettin fat!

Devils club the gift that gives in multiple ways
attachment.php

attachment.php

+1....devils club, hornets and yellow jackets, western yew, big punky hollow shelled hemlock

Son of a #####..... I felt great this week. I cut 9 big hammer white fir snags yesterday that will filly your shorts if something goes wrong, whips, massive vinemaple, and a bunch of marginal wood to open up my strip to the juice wood. I got the whole thing opened up and cut 5 of those beauties in there and was so happy for Monday. A ton of good wood already to lay into my strip I spent a day and half opening up for this big tall stuff to lay in. Side rod comes to me at quiting time, "stop, stop! The price took a crap about three hours ago."

There goes my job for a while anyway. I should have kept quiet. I was all greatful and happy, trying to pull ahead from a bad year. The way it goes I guess.

Cross my finger that this will only be for a week or two like they told me. It seems like the whole world economy is falling apart.

Last edited:
Son of a #####..... I felt great this week. I cut 9 big hammer white fir snags yesterday that will filly your shorts if something goes wrong, whips, massive vinemaple, and a bunch of marginal wood to open up my strip to the juice wood. I got the whole thing opened up and cut 5 of those beauties in there and was so happy for Monday. A ton of good wood already to lay into my strip I spent a day and half opening up for this big tall stuff to lay in. Side rod comes to me at quiting time, "stop, stop! The price took a crap about three hours ago."

There goes my job for a while anyway. I should have kept quiet. I was all greatful and happy, trying to pull ahead from a bad year. The way it goes I guess.

Cross my finger that this will only be for a week or two like they told me. It seems like the whole world economy is falling apart.

i wouldn't wish one or two weeks of no work on anyone. hope you do well and hang in there.

i'm waiting for another dust bowl down here.

i wouldn't wish one or two weeks of no work on anyone. hope you do well and hang in there.

i'm waiting for another dust bowl down here.

Last year it was months. I worked some side jobs for a friend that has a tree service, and used all my savings to get by. I was hoping that this year was going to be good. I'm not surprised though, we knew the foriegn log market was going to crash soon. We'll just wait and see for how long, and what other countries are involved. But when things are better there, they want nothing more than West Coast Doug Fir.

Not meaning to steal the thread, but heard from somebody who heard from a local knowledgable source that domestic lumber prices are going up slightly due to the supply having shrunk from mills closing.

My theory is that lumber prices will escalate madly in April. That might be when my house construction starts.

If I were in charge, I'd hire unemployed loggers and start paying them to dump and dispose of all the snags about to fall on the tourists on the forest roads, and also fix roads and trails in the woods. That would be "stimulous" money put to good use.

Not meaning to steal the thread, but heard from somebody who heard from a local knowledgable source that domestic lumber prices are going up slightly due to the supply having shrunk from mills closing.

My theory is that lumber prices will escalate madly in April. That might be when my house construction starts.

If I were in charge, I'd hire unemployed loggers and start paying them to dump and dispose of all the snags about to fall on the tourists on the forest roads, and also fix roads and trails in the woods. That would be "stimulous" money put to good use.

Yay, Patty for Govenor! I don't know what the heck is going on, everyone I know is being tight lipped...for whatever reason. Sometimes brokers and buyers call bluffs on prices and demand.

Bummer Jesse. Well, you had a good roll for most of the winter. Price here for domestic logs is an insult, but its better than nothing.

I 'think' the chip market may be rebounding a little bit. The Nor OR loggers realy flooded the market last year with all that salvage timber, but I saw a couple chip trucks moving product last week.

Obama and his liberal friends may be running low on computer paper. The new stim. bill was so lengthy it would take a couple hundred acres of pulp to print......

Yay, Patty for Govenor! I don't know what the heck is going on, everyone I know is being tight lipped...for whatever reason. Sometimes brokers and buyers call bluffs on prices and demand.

Yup...when Patty gets things straightened out up there send her down here.

The market is still poor in this area, too. We're pecking away at some of the burn salvage left from last year's fires but that's all thats going on. The word we get is that there won't be anything but burn salvage and bug kill this season and probably not much of that.

Some of the older guys, the ones with good reps and solid connections, are making a meager living but it's tight.

Two of the best Catskinners I've seen are stocking shelves at WalMart and they're glad to have the work.

Jeeeez...that was a gloomy post. I'll try to think of something more cheerful.

The rumor here was that the Canadian supply has dried up, so the local mill is going full bore. BUT, the local mill quit taking logs from some of the gyppos.
The mill has to make up for orders that can't be filled due to the Morton mill roof collapse. The local one has a smaller log decking area so they tend to fill up quickly.

My prediction stays, a sharp increase in March or April because my people tend to buy high, sell low and it is time to get a building permit and go for it. :cry:

I have a few more trees to cut with the Barbie Saw prior to construction.

Last edited:
dpends on what your doing,around here doing tree work posion oak is the worse.every year you get platerd..in the woods i hardly ever see it..but the pricker bryers stick ya alot..

22 inches of snow

ya the snow deffinatly sucks right now.walking in it and kickin around the stump.i hate it when you walk over were youve limbed an dont notice it.and sink

The rumor here was that the Canadian supply has dried up, so the local mill is going full bore. BUT, the local mill quit taking logs from some of the gyppos.
The mill has to make up for orders that can't be filled due to the Morton mill roof collapse. The local one has a smaller log decking area so they tend to fill up quickly.

My prediction stays, a sharp increase in March or April because my people tend to buy high, sell low and it is time to get a building permit and go for it. :cry:

I have a few more trees to cut with the Barbie Saw prior to construction.

LOL...Order your lumber from us...we'll make you a heck of deal. How many rail cars do you need? We have lumber that's been in inventory so long it has grass growing on it.

Mutiflorelrose really sucks its like working in barb wire all day . It rips your closes right off . Ive cut some jobs that you would have to clear around every tree with the cat. Some farmers thought it made a good natural fence but when it took over the whole timber it made a real mess. Deep snow posion ive and river bluffs are a pain too. The logging business around here is in pretty rough shape the only thing the mills want is real good walnut and white oak.:cry:

Last edited:
I did a search for "Upper Peninsula snow report" and found something interesting called the, Keweenaw Snow Report, where they are up to 233.7 " so far this winter . I had some friends from Tomahawk Wi. that logged the U.P,(in Michigan) and their stories of snow-logging were absolutely incredible. They would go in with total living accomodations and plan on being snowbound for up to a month at a time .

Smart thinking. Simple. If there were such a plan, I'd be all over tryin' to get work on that.

Yay, Patty for Govenor! .

I say Vote Patty for USFS Chief!

Another vote for Patty! I keep waiting for the bottom but I don't see it yet. A couple years ago when we bought our house the market seemed surreal and everyone was able to get a loan. Seemed so wrong, especially compared to the hoops we had to jump through when we bought our first house. I had no idea it would lead to all this!

Back on topic, I hate poison oak. Especially when you hit it with the chain and it sprays everywhere. I don't usually get it, but when wifey gets it from my clothes it's the doghouse for me.

Dok

hopefully you mean 22" of snow

Yes, I do mean 220 inches... I was just ball parking the number, OddVaark did the research (233 inches officially). I often think of taking photos, as this much snow simply looks other worldly... the plowed roadside banks are sometimes above the roof of my truck... but, the day's work leaves little extra time or energy for playing with cameras. Each day, regardless if much or little progress is made, I am thankful to the Lord Jesus for his provision.

Back