Cutting conditions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time for stage logging perhaps?:)

My Dad use to tell of a couple of winters back inthe 70's around Revelstoke where they would shut down the logging by the beginning of January because the snow was to deep to log. They would stop at 20' of snow pack (not total snow fall) because the stumps were toooooo high. Also they couldn't plow the roads fast enough and by the time they had to pull out the D-9 to cross plow the roads it was time to call it quits for the winter.

..... And they did come back in the summer and log the high stumps. I've got him looking for pictures.

The worst thing I have cut in is Suburbia! I did a job near Villanova University a few years ago. We were clearing a lot for a new house that had huge red and white oaks and some of the most beutifull ash I,ve ever seen. The landscape project manager was watching us every day to make sure we did not hit any save tree's or we did'nt drive equipment to close to save tree's so we would,nt damage the root system. He actually put up orange safety fence around a bunch of tree's because he thought we were not being carefull enough. All this while the tree hugging neighbors were taking pictures and videotaping our every move. What a pain.:chainsaw:

Hope this isn't too off topic but from a hooktenders perspective the worst is trying to hang in or string through a strip of precommercial thinning especially when it gets to that stage where it's still chin deep but too rotten to support you.
Another is stringing through blowdown so that the lines will clear up. Leaners make it tough.
Packing rigging uphill in 3 feet of snow ain't fun either.

Hope this isn't too off topic but from a hooktenders perspective the worst is trying to hang in or string through a strip of precommercial thinning especially when it gets to that stage where it's still chin deep but too rotten to support you.
Another is stringing through blowdown so that the lines will clear up. Leaners make it tough.
Packing rigging uphill in 3 feet of snow ain't fun either.

Yes! I have to follow the hooktender through that stuff. I've helped pack some gear and there's not much to stop the momentum of a face plant. I pity the guys packing line UP the hill for the first setting of downhill yarding.
There's sometimes puking involved.:jawdrop:

Coming soon, a thinning unit that is in a rootrot area that has that stage of rotten blowdown in it. You step on the blowdown, it might hold you but it might not.

Yes! I have to follow the hooktender through that stuff. I've helped pack some gear and there's not much to stop the momentum of a face plant. I pity the guys packing line UP the hill for the first setting of downhill yarding.
There's sometimes puking involved.:jawdrop:

Coming soon, a thinning unit that is in a rootrot area that has that stage of rotten blowdown in it. You step on the blowdown, it might hold you but it might not.

Question What is the point if it has root rot in the stand? Only way to deal with that is to clearcut and replant with something resistant. You thin and all you will get is more dead trees and blow down. Eventually it will get it all.

Question What is the point if it has root rot in the stand? Only way to deal with that is to clearcut and replant with something resistant. You thin and all you will get is more dead trees and blow down. Eventually it will get it all.

that sounds like the lodgepole pine/pine beetle thing... minus the root rot

Tree marker poop doesn't stink. :)

Since we don't arrive to the woods until noon, that usually isn't a problem.
I think everybody should follow the rules of a hotshot crew. Don't poop in the unit. Go outside of the boundary. And don't go in the road where the yarder will be moving to. Icky. Yucky. :chainsaw:

About the root rot. Is that POC? I planted 2K geneticaly altered POC 2-0's last winter, and about 20% of them died. Turned red and croaked.

Anyone had experiecne with the disease resistant POC?

ry%3D400

About the root rot. Is that POC? I planted 2K geneticaly altered POC 2-0's last winter, and about 20% of them died. Turned red and croaked.

Anyone had experiecne with the disease resistant POC?

ry%3D400

Is that Cedar you have there Mr. Bushler?

Latest posts

Back