Cutting oak trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great... For once I'm not the guy #####ing about mindless drones boring everything...

Dear bolecutter if you haven't spent the better part of 40 or more years in the woods, kindly turn the other cheek. Dumping the occasional 3 footer in ma's 40 acres is very different then dumping 5' plus trees all day every day. not to mention everyone of them is over 150' tall or usually taller. On steep ground with very little room to run, if any. Gologit and Randy are mostly retired... sort of... not many around here retire as loggers most quit and move to boeing, or microsoft, the rest get maimed or killed... on the job...

Trolled or not, I got a DOC and a PDF CHOCK FULL of good stuff for this fire wood bandit.

Thank you guys for taking the time to post all this good information on here!!!

p.s. I got me a 390, and its not that heavy..... :msp_wink:

BTW boys, I'm the one currently boring all the leaners. Usually when I start something the crowd follows:jester:

Not this crowd. Besides we make special allowances for you. :laugh:

Mama always said I was special:dizzy:

Hey Poledancer, Gologit and RandyMac have forgotten more about where they live and what they were just doing a second ago than you will ever know about not boring:mad:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Are you starting your second back cut close the hinge and moving back? On bigger timber you can't really stand directly behind it anyway. You sort of have to work from the hinge back. If its working and you feel safe about it, I'm sure its fine. There is all kinds of room for improvisation in timber falling. I think that is what makes a good faller.

I usually start the second back cut from the back and work towards the holding wood. What you said about not really bein able to stand behind the stump is true and I'll probably try it that way next time... Starting from the hinge and work back.

Thanks a lot guys, I mean really?. I know I'm an annoying noobie, but punking me for over a year letting me think trees can be falled with one backcut?! I tried every type of sloping back cut, and accidentally threw in a few level ones, but still no directional control. And to think I thought y'all were laughing with me:cry:

This was a joke, I am well aware y'all were never laughing with me. (And that they're prolly talkin bout the three "back cuts" in a "triangle" coos bay)

Last edited:
OK, you were being ganged up on (although I was kidding), but nobody implied you were having homosexual intercourse with other members. I never much liked will and grace, and am old enough that making that implication meant a fight. You should retract those statements ASAP

Back