Cutting Stove Pipe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've found that cutting single wall stove pipe is very difficult. Can some of you more experienced members point me in the right direction. The sawzall with a long metal blade has not worked well.

I always use a chop saw. Kind of like a miter saw for trim work but uses an abrasive wheel for cutting metals. Works pretty well.....

I have used my small (4") grinder with cut off wheels and it works great but not everyone owns this tool. I'm certain that you know SOMEBODY that does though.

Funny, I think I've done all of the suggested idea's but, What I use now is air shears. "Hot knife" though butter. And they're really not that expensive.

I use a air powered angle head die grinder with a narrow kerf cutting wheel. Cuts it right quick, and wont damage the seam.
You can get one right cheap at HomeDepot.

I second chop saw method. I just used one not three days ago, with the abrasive wheel, and it beat the crap out of tin snips and side cutters. Loosley clamp it in the saw, start the cut on your mark, and spin the pipe. When your done use an old saw file to knock off the burrs.

All suggestions were good ones. I'll add one more that works good and is pretty cheap. Hand nibblers. The pair I have makes a neat bur free cut and goes right through the crimp with hardly any distortion. It is a bit slow though. When your done however the pipes looks like it was made that size.

Good pair of tin snips or nibbler will have it cut before you can locate and plug in the fancy tools.

Mangle the seam? So what. A thin blade screwdriver will have it straightened out in 5 seconds if it even needs doing.

Cut off wheels? Chop saws? Way over kill and you have sparklies flying everywhere as well as a rough finish.

Okay, so that is all a bit overboard but a lot of truth in it.

Harry K

Stove pipe Shears

Ever hear of Stove pipe shears? Some folks call them double cutting shears. Not worth buying for the homeowner but if you find a good pair at a sale or flea market it might be a good investment. Hmmm. Cant seem to know how to post pic. Just google them.

I use a rocked out chain on my 359.:chainsaw: :givebeer:

No really the last one I cut started with my dremel...darn wheels arent big enough.
2nd try was with jigsaw(had tried sawzall before and didnt look pretty) was no good.
3rd try used trusty old snips.......why mess with a good thing.:monkey:

I have used my small (4") grinder with cut off wheels and it works great but not everyone owns this tool. I'm certain that you know SOMEBODY that does though.

Time to go shopping? :monkey: The house NEEDS a new tool! Honey, I'll be right back. My wife loves that one.:cheers:

+! We used to call them aviation snips. I gave a pair that I have saved for years. Believe me and BP, they work. :agree2:

Yep! There are some jobs that power equipment just doesn't do as well or as simple as the old tried and true tools. I have left, right, straight aviations snips, nibbler and a BIG straight cut one.

Harry K

I used a jig saw with a Bi-Metal blade. Find a round piece of wood from your wood pile that will fit snug inside of the pipe if it dosen't come apart. Use your drill and a bit to get a hole started for your blade. If pipe comes apart just wrap it around a larger fire log and cut away. Works for me.

RodneyG

Back