Cutting the ice with my saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On new years Eve I cut a hole through the ice for our annual polar bear dip/Saunna. I always drain the bar oil and run eco friendly bar oil or you will have an oilslick after you cut through the ice. I cut a hole about 5feet x 5feet square and pushed all the ice under the hole. I used the dogs to bite better and it cuts very fast much faster than wood it was about 12" thick this year. I take everything apart after and oil it the water could cause some corrosion. It is a good way to clean out the sawdust the water washes the saw out good on the clutch side. Going in afterwards usually takes a lot of guts and some beers but it is fun.

We cut holes in the ice with a poulan pro... works good. Cut a triangle all the time. Pull it on top of the ice. Don the scuba (wet suit) go for a dive.
Place the cut out back in the hole. It freezes fairly quick. So some unsuspecting sole dont walk into the open hole.......

You would be committed to an asylum in this part of the country for those actions.

:givebeer: :givebeer: (been holding these signs TOOOOOOO long) :)
*passes 1Adam12 a nice chilly brew* Lol, did one polar bear swim when I was young, stupid, and pissed, in the ocean at English Bay Vancouver, whatta hoot once my icecream headache left (funny thing was I used to long-distancing between there and Kits beach,about 2&1/2 miles, dodging stupids and freighters, the water was about the same temp, frikken c-c-c-c-cold), I've been on the sidelines a couple of times watching people swim around with ice bergs (lake Ontario), iyiyiyiyi, gives me a near fatal, but........... gotta love them brave young girls :D :D

ch-ch-ch-:cheers:

Serge (in a nice warm place :) )

"We cut holes in the ice with a poulan pro... works good. Cut a triangle all the time. Pull it on top of the ice. Don the scuba (wet suit) go for a dive.
Place the cut out back in the hole. It freezes fairly quick. So some unsuspecting sole dont walk into the open hole......." I have to agree we are on a lake where no one else could get to easily and I know having a open hole is dangerous. I had a good time at my buddy's camp we went sliding the second night and boy that was a blast. I hadn't gone sliding in a few years and it was very fun. If I didn't have a piping hot saunna to run to I would not even think about trying this. The shock you get when you go in the water is big and your heart really starts pounding. You have to be in very good physical condition and have a safe place to go to to warm up. It went down to -28 the second night and we stoked up the old woodstove good with maple. I let off some cheap fireworks and we had some good laughs and enjoyed the good company of our friends. I cooked up some moose steaks and we had a lot of good food and drank a few beers and had some good times.

"We cut holes in the ice with a poulan pro... works good. Cut a triangle all the time. Pull it on top of the ice. Don the scuba (wet suit) go for a dive.
Place the cut out back in the hole. It freezes fairly quick. So some unsuspecting sole dont walk into the open hole......." I have to agree we are on a lake where no one else could get to easily and I know having a open hole is dangerous. I had a good time at my buddy's camp we went sliding the second night and boy that was a blast. I hadn't gone sliding in a few years and it was very fun. If I didn't have a piping hot saunna to run to I would not even think about trying this. The shock you get when you go in the water is big and your heart really starts pounding. You have to be in very good physical condition and have a safe place to go to to warm up. It went down to -28 the second night and we stoked up the old woodstove good with maple. I let off some cheap fireworks and we had some good laughs and enjoyed the good company of our friends. I cooked up some moose steaks and we had a lot of good food and drank a few beers and had some good times.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm moose! Just had ta feed myself after readin that lol :cheers: GAH! (food threads are crap onna diet mate!)

:cheers:

Serge

Oohh yeah, that reminds me of an old Inuit way of huntin' polar bears.......cut a big hole in the ice an' line it with peas.....When the bear goes up to take a pea, kick'em in the ice hole...:buttkick:

I know,not the joke forum,but I had to do it.....

Last edited:

Another example of Canadian Birth Control ( Socilaized Medicine) :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah , your right Huskydave.
I have been scuba diving in the ice with a wetsuit. Not bare skin. You still feel the burning of the ice cold water. Soon as the wetsuit heats it up I am usually good for about 25 or 30 minutes before I start cramping up... hehe
I have a tether so I dont get lost under the ice.. It will take your breath away for sure. When you first jump in ,,, those lumps in your throat ,,,,are your n___tttsss. hehe.
I dont know If I could do it with out a wetsuit.. Most fella's use airtight drysuits..
I get the coleman stove out and warm up a gallon of water and dump that down the suit before I take the plunge...:clap: :clap: Rock On!!!

If there was only a chain saw would run underwater for those pesky to get out of the mud Ice Shanties...........

Been there, done that. Of course mine was cutting a snow penis while camping...

img3098mc3.jpg

:greenchainsaw:

Back