Cutting up a big red oak.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could do something nice from that trunk besides just firewood. Allthough it's nice with firewood a'pleanty, you could try to split the trunk in four with wedges and store it and see how it behaves. I have for instance made some realy nice HD tables out of an pin oak trunk my self. But try to think out of the firewood box before you chop it up to so called usefull pieces. This tree looks to be a really big grandpa to me.
There will be more than enough firewood from the attempts to make lumber anyway. And if it fails flat out, there will be even more than enough wood to be turned into allmost as nice firewood.
That's just me! But do consider.

Motorsen

Nice one! Great pics!

I'm still mowing, four more pastures. then I am caught up, then just regular weekly mowing. Might be able to start cutting again then, just in time for FULL summer heat and humility! heheheh

That is quite a score!

We are about 2/3 done with wheat harvest here. Finally had enough rain that we get to mow a bit around the house. Plus my uncle just bought a house and it had about 2 cord of mixed firewood stacked out back and he borrowed and loaded my trailers and his and delivered it to my house. Just have to unload it into stacks.

That will be some nice firewood for sure. Red Oak is at my top of the list to burn.

Back