Cylinder cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a US cleaner with Simple Green Aircraft cleaner. If after that the cylinder has stubborn stains around the exhaust area, I have a cheapo sand blaster filled with very fine glass beads that works extremely well.

What you all use to get exterior of cylinders clean of sap/grease and all in between cooling fins?
Kerosene/diesel will remove 90% of the bar oil and sawdust but won't do much on organic stuff like tree sap. For that use a caustic cleaner like Simple Green. Soaking and heat helps.

I got about 60 cylinders soaking in simple green pro heavy duty and warm water see if that does anything. I know it does wonders on stuff covered in sap like covers and doesn’t damage paint or plastic if water is cold.

Im giving these a try. I couldn’t find the blue Great Value packs. I got 4 packs in 20L, going to boil a scrape cylinder for an hour and see how they do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
It got rid of a lot of the gunk, but not the staines on bare aluminum. Turn’t it a dark grey the aluminum so these Cascade brand packs are a no go if you don’t want them to turn colour

It got rid of a lot of the gunk, but not the staines on bare aluminum. Turn’t it a dark grey the aluminum so these Cascade brand packs are a no go if you don’t want them to turn colour
The blue Walmart pods take about 3 hours at a simmer to get one like that looking new. The only thing that usually is still black is underneath the exhaust flange.

I think different pods will also help bring back the aluminum color

The blue Walmart pods take about 3 hours at a simmer to get one like that looking new. The only thing that usually is still black is underneath the exhaust flange.

I think different pods will also help bring back the aluminum color
Im going to check in store. In Canada I only see the green walmart pods on their website. I tried a good 2-3 hour soak in simple green pro hd. Didn’t come out looking like new but did take off majorly of sap fried to fins. They are now clean but stained. Exaust ports still full of carbon

The aviation paint remover used to work really good on aluminum to clean/shine it up after the bulk of the grease/oil/carbon was removed using diesel/purple power. Just spray it on and let it sit for 3-4 minutes then rinse off, do not get paint remover on the liner. Simple green aviation aluminum cleaner works pretty good at brightening the aluminum used with a parts brush. I'll bet that lye/soda ash is the active cleaning agent in those cheaper tablets, I'd also assume any of the hard tablets should be the same formula.

Im going to check in store. In Canada I only see the green walmart pods on their website. I tried a good 2-3 hour soak in simple green pro hd. Didn’t come out looking like new but did take off majorly of sap fried to fins. They are now clean but stained. Exaust ports still full of carbon
Straight Mean Green or LA’s Totally Awesome in the ultrasonic will clean them like new also. Needs to be hot and takes several hours

Back