Daisy Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scars2prove-it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just put my lanyard together with a V.t. I've never had an eight foot lanyard before. I've read that you guys daisy chain the extra length. What knot do you use to keep it from unravelling but still keep it accessible?

a daisy chain is a series of slip knots. Just pass the last piece of rope through the last loop. When you want more lanyard pull the end through and undo the daisy chain. I leave enough to tie a figure 8 that I hook on a snap on my belt to keep it from getting in the way. I am currently using a 20 ft line. I have several different lengths to choose from. Over time and usage you will find the sweet spot for you with the length that you usually use. You only pull the daisy chain out when you need the extra length.

I'll daisy it up if I'm moving around. I still have the 30ft'er but work on an 18 now.

I tried 9ft but hated it so much I gave it away. I found it frustating having to flip in 3 ft away.

When walking from tree to tree, I'' just clip the snap to my saddle and drape the line across my shoulders, keeping just enough hanging from the hitch so I don't step on it.

More of a second TIP. I can mover about 14 ft away from the TIP on the 30ft'er.

It does not footlock well, though I have done it once or twice.

2-way lanyard here. It's more convenient than two separate lanyards, but it's as functional. With the two way, I only have about 3 1/2 feet hanging down but 15' total when I need it.

Originally posted by Scars2prove-it
Are you guys that have such a long lanyard just using it like a second climbing line?

I do not. I use my tail as a 2nd line when needed. My lanyard is short(7') and is used for securing my position.

I think a lot of these guys use 'em like you say, though. :confused:

My rope lanyard is like a 2nd or 3rd tie in. It is a
30ish foot long piece of Blue streak. I double it and then daisy chain it when I am using it as a lanyard, or just daisy it when it is another TIP.

Carl

Here is how i stash 19' lanyard, with the daisy chain, and zig zags of loops starting behind climber out of the way, keep this about mid calf high, least amount at side (where a bunch could get in the way). i got the idea for the length from JP's posts, really comes in handy sometimes, pretty much light and out of the way when not needed.

I only use the 3rd tie in to pull me across horizonally when I am cutting a limb that I can't stand on for whatever reason, or to somewhat triangulate my ropes when I am in an interesting position.

I dunno I probably tie in three times when I am doin other things, mostly to keep my balance when I am runing the chainsaw while on the rope, not on the limb, but it is normally just the standard 2 if my lifeline is high enough in the tree for me to be able to walk out, while keepin a favorable angle on the rope.

Carl

Wow, a 30' long buckstrap. Thats like a whole nother climbing line. I use an 8 footer and sometimes that get's underfoot.

T

Latest posts

Back